Burnley

Discuss all things football and non-rovers related
User avatar
Dan
Unemployed ex-pro
Posts: 6469
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:08 am
Contact:

Re: Boss Brian Laws shown door by Burnley

Post by Dan » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:50 am

I was thinking the same - half expecting a trawler and a load of seagulls to be sailing towards him through the valley :D

I roughly translated it as "Sometimes you've got to be shit to appreciate how good others are. Except we're not shit, honest!"

Still doesn't really make sense.

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 26573
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Boss Brian Laws shown door by Burnley

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:01 pm

I want to know more: Did he just panic and start blurting out words like a politician, or is it something he's been thinking about for weeks? Has anybody told him it's one of the stupidest things anyone has ever said? Are his instructions to his team as nonsensical? I've not really paid attention to him before, does he regularly come out with crap like this? :D

User avatar
Dan
Unemployed ex-pro
Posts: 6469
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:08 am
Contact:

Re: Boss Brian Laws shown door by Burnley

Post by Dan » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:39 pm

Rover the Top wrote:I want to know more: Did he just panic and start blurting out words like a politician, or is it something he's been thinking about for weeks? Has anybody told him it's one of the stupidest things anyone has ever said? Are his instructions to his team as nonsensical? I've not really paid attention to him before, does he regularly come out with crap like this? :D
There's more in the same interview :D
Ginger Dingle wrote:“If you always do what you have always done, you always get what you have always got"
http://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/news ... 68637.aspx

User avatar
Ethiaa
Site Admin
Posts: 13003
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:22 am
Location: Preston
Contact:

Re: Boss Brian Laws shown door by Burnley

Post by Ethiaa » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:40 pm

Sounds like a bad paraphrase of "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 26573
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Burnley

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:03 pm

...like tossing a coin... :yeahright:

User avatar
Ethiaa
Site Admin
Posts: 13003
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:22 am
Location: Preston
Contact:

Re: Burnley

Post by Ethiaa » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:06 pm

...and expecting it not to fall due to gravity. I think Einstein may have been thinking in a larger context than which side it lands on, more about if it lands at all. Or in which physical plane it lands perhaps.

User avatar
Franco_ice
Valued squad member
Posts: 478
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:13 am
Contact:

Re: Burnley

Post by Franco_ice » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:20 pm

The quotes sure can provide laughter.

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 26573
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Burnley

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:34 pm

Ethiaa wrote:...and expecting it not to fall due to gravity. I think Einstein may have been thinking in a larger context than which side it lands on, more about if it lands at all. Or in which physical plane it lands perhaps.
Quite probably. It doesn't stop there being exceptions to the generalisation. There's plenty of situations where it would be insane not to expect a different outcome from repeating the same action. :whistle:

User avatar
Dan
Unemployed ex-pro
Posts: 6469
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:08 am
Contact:

Re: Burnley

Post by Dan » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:52 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
Ethiaa wrote:...and expecting it not to fall due to gravity. I think Einstein may have been thinking in a larger context than which side it lands on, more about if it lands at all. Or in which physical plane it lands perhaps.
Quite probably. It doesn't stop there being exceptions to the generalisation. There's plenty of situations where it would be insane not to expect a different outcome from repeating the same action. :whistle:
Like Burnley playing a football match this year? :D

User avatar
Ethiaa
Site Admin
Posts: 13003
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:22 am
Location: Preston
Contact:

Re: Burnley

Post by Ethiaa » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:58 pm

Dan wrote:
Rover the Top wrote:
Ethiaa wrote:...and expecting it not to fall due to gravity. I think Einstein may have been thinking in a larger context than which side it lands on, more about if it lands at all. Or in which physical plane it lands perhaps.
Quite probably. It doesn't stop there being exceptions to the generalisation. There's plenty of situations where it would be insane not to expect a different outcome from repeating the same action. :whistle:
Like Burnley playing a football match this year? :D
Sadly for Burnley they don't decide their results based on a coin flip.

If they continue to concede three and score none in each game, I'm going to side with Dyche/Einstein. There is a combination I wasn't expecting to see today.

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 26573
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Burnley

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:32 pm

Surely the number of goals they score and concede is the result of their actions, not the action itself? He might not know much about mountains, but I doubt Dyche is telling his team to let in three goals as their gameplan. :yeahright: Simply put, if they keep taking shots on goal, should they expect not to score?

User avatar
Ethiaa
Site Admin
Posts: 13003
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:22 am
Location: Preston
Contact:

Re: Burnley

Post by Ethiaa » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:31 pm

Rover the Top wrote:Surely the number of goals they score and concede is the result of their actions, not the action itself? He might not know much about mountains, but I doubt Dyche is telling his team to let in three goals as their gameplan. :yeahright: Simply put, if they keep taking shots on goal, should they expect not to score?
I think scoring is an action as well as a consequence of shooting. I suspect that this level of metaphysical investigation may be part of the issue with his squad. They are too wrapped up in the philosophical consequences of their actions. It's not about taking shots, it's about the kind of shots they take. And if they looked in the box (that works on so many levels).

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 26573
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Burnley

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:44 pm

I think the main issue is that their manager thinks football is something to do with only seeing mountain tops when you're a couple of thousand feet below them...

User avatar
Ethiaa
Site Admin
Posts: 13003
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:22 am
Location: Preston
Contact:

Re: Burnley

Post by Ethiaa » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:50 pm

Rover the Top wrote:I think the main issue is that their manager thinks football is something to do with only seeing mountain tops when you're a couple of thousand feet below them...
Luckily for them, they are being paid a fortune to hang on by their fingernails for 12 months. The fans might not like it but the club will be in a great position when they come down again. It's an audacious no risk strategy. We'll take the money and don't care if we don't win a game... so long and thanks for all the filthy lucre.





Unless Oyston buys them.

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 26573
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Burnley

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:58 pm

It looks like there's more gibberish:
Weirdly you can be at your strongest when you are at your weakest, so there is strength in our moment now,
:lol: Did he have an empty bottle of JD by him when he did this presser by any chance?

Post Reply