Cardiff to change colours

Discuss all things football and non-rovers related

User avatar
-BARON-23-
Promising manager
Posts: 11073
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:45 am
Location: Blackpool - Home, Luton - University
Contact:

Re: Cardiff to change colours

Post by -BARON-23- » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:03 pm

I understand why they are doing it but if that happened to Blackburn i wouldn't like it.

Benjo
New signing
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:53 am
Contact:

Re: Cardiff to change colours

Post by Benjo » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:21 pm

Almost make the Venkys seem bearable. Almost.

Feel sorry for the Cardiff fans. No one deserves this to happen to their club.

I'm pretty amazed some people think its a good idea.

User avatar
Ethiaa
Site Admin
Posts: 13590
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:22 am
Location: Preston
Contact:

Re: Cardiff to change colours

Post by Ethiaa » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:37 pm

Depends on the financial situation at the club really doesn't it. I know they are £15 million in debt so £100 million coming in could be the difference between administration and long term stability. That's probably worth swapping your home and away shirts around for.

If you want investors who are not supporters to come to a club and invest at high levels like that, they are obviously going to want more than an executive box. You takes your money and makes your choice.

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 27152
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Cardiff to change colours

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:40 pm

-BARON-23- wrote:I understand why they are doing it
You do? I understand they need the money and will go some way in whoring themselves out to secure their future. But I don't see what the perceived advantage of wearing red over blue is meant to be? It just seems like the money people are insisting on a change because they know they can. In the grand scheme of things it makes no difference, so why bother changing things just for the sake of it?

And we changed from our traditional kit last year, anyway.

User avatar
Ethiaa
Site Admin
Posts: 13590
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:22 am
Location: Preston
Contact:

Re: Cardiff to change colours

Post by Ethiaa » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:58 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
-BARON-23- wrote:I understand why they are doing it
You do? I understand they need the money and will go some way in whoring themselves out to secure their future. But I don't see what the perceived advantage of wearing red over blue is meant to be? It just seems like the money people are insisting on a change because they know they can. In the grand scheme of things it makes no difference, so why bother changing things just for the sake of it?

And we changed from our traditional kit last year, anyway.
They think it will make them better able to market the team in the far east as they believe that the fanbase there associate Wales, the colour red and dragons together. Obviously, the colour red also has positive connotations in the cultures they are targeting.

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 27152
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Cardiff to change colours

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:19 pm

Good effort at coming up with a plausible explanation. I still remain highly sceptical that changing shirt colour is suddenly going to make Cardiff more popular - if it is a genuine factor, there's already some other more famous and successful teams wearing red who've got a big head start of them in that market.

User avatar
Ethiaa
Site Admin
Posts: 13590
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:22 am
Location: Preston
Contact:

Re: Cardiff to change colours

Post by Ethiaa » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:21 pm

I assume you recognise that wasn't my effort but the explanation they gave. Me, I couldn't care less if it's because they think blue clashes with their shoes. The club have got their eyes open in making the choice.

Savory
Promising manager
Posts: 10878
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:34 pm
Location: Manchester
Contact:

Re: Cardiff to change colours

Post by Savory » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:25 pm

whats their new nickname gonna be instead of bluebirds then?

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 27152
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Cardiff to change colours

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:45 pm

Ethiaa wrote:I assume you recognise that wasn't my effort but the explanation they gave.
No, I hadn't seen any suggestion that it was to do with links with Wales and dragons. Just that they thought it would be better for marketing. Hence why I said I couldn't see what the advantage was supposed to be...

User avatar
Ethiaa
Site Admin
Posts: 13590
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:22 am
Location: Preston
Contact:

Re: Cardiff to change colours

Post by Ethiaa » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:04 pm

The club wrote:Key to the strategy is to ensure that the club representing as it does the capital city of Wales projects a national identity which will resonate with potential audiences abroad.

The colour red is widely recognised as being synonymous with Welsh culture and heritage, with Cardiff the proud capital of the country. The colour also holds strong spiritual significance in Asia, where it is seen as a symbol of prosperity, power and good fortune.

It is believed that this fusion of identities and values will reinforce our strength as a visual brand across both cultures. As outlined in the club statement, Cardiff City, through our investors strong connections will be exploring ways in which to maximise brand awareness of the club across Asia, thereby delivering local success.
Red Dragons I believe Savory.

User avatar
-BARON-23-
Promising manager
Posts: 11073
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:45 am
Location: Blackpool - Home, Luton - University
Contact:

Re: Cardiff to change colours

Post by -BARON-23- » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:14 pm

Ethiaa wrote:
Rover the Top wrote:
-BARON-23- wrote:I understand why they are doing it
You do? I understand they need the money and will go some way in whoring themselves out to secure their future. But I don't see what the perceived advantage of wearing red over blue is meant to be? It just seems like the money people are insisting on a change because they know they can. In the grand scheme of things it makes no difference, so why bother changing things just for the sake of it?

And we changed from our traditional kit last year, anyway.
They think it will make them better able to market the team in the far east as they believe that the fanbase there associate Wales, the colour red and dragons together. Obviously, the colour red also has positive connotations in the cultures they are targeting.
You've pretty much said what i was going too :lol:

As well as the colour red representing Wales more than blue which is understandable being a Welsh side. Also, are there not a lot of financial benefits to be had from this?

As for us, we still stuck the blue and white though

User avatar
Gibbon
Promising manager
Posts: 17935
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:54 am
Location: Location: Location
Contact:

Re: Cardiff to change colours

Post by Gibbon » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:57 pm

Ethiaa wrote:
Rover the Top wrote:
-BARON-23- wrote:I understand why they are doing it
You do? I understand they need the money and will go some way in whoring themselves out to secure their future. But I don't see what the perceived advantage of wearing red over blue is meant to be? It just seems like the money people are insisting on a change because they know they can. In the grand scheme of things it makes no difference, so why bother changing things just for the sake of it?

And we changed from our traditional kit last year, anyway.
They think it will make them better able to market the team in the far east as they believe that the fanbase there associate Wales, the colour red and dragons together. Obviously, the colour red also has positive connotations in the cultures they are targeting.
I've always had a theory that brighter colours such as Red on shirts make players easier to pick out, especially in your peripheral vision than duller colours such as blue. Very useful in footballing situations.

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 27152
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Cardiff to change colours

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:57 pm

Just watching Rovers this season proves that can't be true - our players fail to notice the opponent 2 yards in front of them whatever colour his jersey is...

But, I look forward to the rumours starting that Venky's are going to change our shirts to white and red halves because people in India will associate us with England... :yeahright:

User avatar
theadore
Inexperienced manager
Posts: 9715
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:25 pm

Re: Cardiff to change colours

Post by theadore » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:01 pm

Kits change... frankly who gives a monkeys?

Post Reply