Sport Discrimination study

Discuss all things football and non-rovers related
Glam_rovers
New signing

Sport Discrimination study

Post by Glam_rovers » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:44 pm

Hello Rovers fans, Swansea City fan in peace

Please could you take 5 minutes to have a crack at my survey regarding Discrimination in sport, and more specifically the role of the 'sporting arena'. I'm doing a study on why it is that people are more likely to display a discriminatory/negative attitude when in the 'sporting arena', as opposed to other parts of society.

Alternatively you can use the survey to generate a discussion in this thread, but ethically I'm required to inform you that I may use some of it as data in my findings.

Don't be put off by the blank boxes, a few thoughts in each is all I need! Many thanks! All the best for the rest of the season as well, although I'll admit I've lost track of who your manager is these days ;)

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/B9X2J2S

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Re: Sport Discrimination study

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:10 pm

Glam_rovers wrote:I'm doing a study on why it is that people are more likely to display a discriminatory/negative attitude when in the 'sporting arena', as opposed to other parts of society.
You seem to have put together a very biased questionnaire, taking it for granted that no one will contest your assertion. What evidence do you have to support your claim? For starters, you're covering a broad range of attitudes just by referring to "discriminatory" or "negative" ones. And in my personal experience, I've witnessed more discrimination against people for their race, sex, religious views, political beliefs, family background, dress sense, etc away from sporting events.

Glam_rovers
New signing

Post by Glam_rovers » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:25 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
Glam_rovers wrote:I'm doing a study on why it is that people are more likely to display a discriminatory/negative attitude when in the 'sporting arena', as opposed to other parts of society.
You seem to have put together a very biased questionnaire, taking it for granted that no one will contest your assertion. What evidence do you have to support your claim? For starters, you're covering a broad range of attitudes just by referring to "discriminatory" or "negative" ones. And in my personal experience, I've witnessed more discrimination against people for their race, sex, religious views, political beliefs, family background, dress sense, etc away from sporting events.
Thanks for that feedback. I created the questions in mind with trying to stay away from inducing yes/no answers as best I could, as I'm looking to collect qualitative data through thoughts and feelings on the issue.

So do you disagree? and believe that there is no difference in negative attitudes and discrimination in the 'sporting arena' as opposed to the rest of society?

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:44 pm

I'd suggest there's less discrimination in sport than in certain other areas of society. Homophobia in the military? Racism in the police force? Sexism in certain prominent religions? I haven't been in my local pub since my brother got grief just for having long hair. Sure, there's been a few flashpoints in sport that have made headlines, but generally sport tackles discrimination head on and tries to accommodate everyone. Specific sports may have specific areas where attitudes can be improved. But in the vague, all-encompassing sense of your question, I think sport tackles discrimination far more readily than society as a whole.

Glam_rovers
New signing

Post by Glam_rovers » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:55 pm

Rover the Top wrote:I'd suggest there's less discrimination in sport than in certain other areas of society. Homophobia in the military? Racism in the police force? Sexism in certain prominent religions? I haven't been in my local pub since my brother got grief just for having long hair. Sure, there's been a few flashpoints in sport that have made headlines, but generally sport tackles discrimination head on and tries to accommodate everyone. Specific sports may have specific areas where attitudes can be improved. But in the vague, all-encompassing sense of your question, I think sport tackles discrimination far more readily than society as a whole.
Very interesting. Main reason for choosing the topic is that I've heard some vile things at football and even rugby from own/opposition supporters, but have always thought that people would never think of doing the same thing outside of that environment, just because they're "at the game" they think it's acceptable and they won't face any consequences.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:33 am

I thought by 'sporting arena' you meant the actual athletes whilst competing, eg John Terry v Anton Ferdinand. However, I think it's a mistake to assume the people chanting vile nonsense are changing their attitudes and behaviour just because they're in a stadium. People go on EDL marches, people vote for the BNP, people are convicted of racist, homophobic or other prejudiced crimes. They're a small minority of the total population of the UK, but enough to think that some may go to football or rugby matches and make themselves heard. There's probably something in a 'safety in numbers' theory, the more people joining in, the bolder they get. But that's not limited to crowds at sporting events, consider the riots of 2011...

If you do regularly attend a stadium and the same group are there saying the same things, it will stand out. But I don't think it follows that that group will then disperse and become normal, civilised individuals. I've met plenty of people with unpleasant views in every day life. They're just easier to walk away from and avoid if you're not trying to watch a game of football.

Rover Ryan
Ageing international

Post by Rover Ryan » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:18 pm

Sorry if my answers were a bit long winded. As RTT listed there are lots of different way to discriminate but I've stayed around Racism, Sexism and general attitude as they to me seem to be the worst offenders.

I tried to not go into general society too much but with the ways the questions are laid out it was hard not to in parts.

Best of luck in your findings. I hope if there is an article or summary written by yourself through your findings you will share it on here :rtm:

LOL Old Geezer is now RTM :D

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:29 pm

What do you mean, "now"? :shrug:

Rover Ryan
Ageing international

Post by Rover Ryan » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:19 pm

Rover the Top wrote:What do you mean, "now"? :shrug:
Oh has it always been that? I thought someone had changed it. Blonde moment lol nevermind. :oops: