Europa League

Discuss all things football and non-rovers related
theadore
Inexperienced manager

Re: europa league

Post by theadore » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:27 pm

I thought he signed a new contract just before he moved? Whether it wasn't long enough or not I can't really remember.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:44 pm

He signed a one-year extension about 6 months before the move. Can't really check at the moment, but I think both Friedel and John Williams said his reason for moving was because Villa offered him a two-year deal and Rovers didn't want to commit that far ahead. Of course, that may be a cover up. But if true, it's a terrible misjudgement - he was crucial to the team and we should have tried all we could to keep him.

Rovertheseas
Experienced international star

Post by Rovertheseas » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:07 pm

This may be something I've dreamed up, but there were also rumours about him not getting on with Ince at the time, right?

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:33 pm

Again - not that I remember, although that is no indicator to what actually happened.

http://www.football.co.uk/blackburn_rov ... 8264.shtml

Not quite the reliable link I was hoping for but this is pretty much how I remember it. I do remember there being talk of a longer contract off from Villa, but what I don't remember was that being a factor or request when Friedel signed his one year deal.

Either way its largely irrelevant... as Gibbon points out you won't find many rovers fans today who think we got the good end of the deal. All I'm arguing is that there were a number of factors not just his age that made the deal far from an obvious disaster at the time.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:35 pm

Rovertheseas wrote:This may be something I've dreamed up, but there were also rumours about him not getting on with Ince at the time, right?
There were rumours, but they didn't seem to be based on anything other than they were at Liverpool at the same time for a while. And Villa made their first approach before Ince was appointed anyway.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:52 pm

The way I remember it was that Villa offered him a lot of money at a time when his soccer academy was in deep financial trouble. I'm sure we could and should have done more to keep him though. Even at the time I couldn't believe we were letting him go.

I reckon he was worth at least 10 points a season to us.

Rover Ryan
Ageing international

Post by Rover Ryan » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:22 pm

Rover the Top wrote:He signed a one-year extension about 6 months before the move. Can't really check at the moment, but I think both Friedel and John Williams said his reason for moving was because Villa offered him a two-year deal and Rovers didn't want to commit that far ahead. Of course, that may be a cover up. But if true, it's a terrible misjudgement - he was crucial to the team and we should have tried all we could to keep him.
You mean the same John Williams that Venky's hating 'fans?' talk about as if he is some folk law Legend and the sun shines out of his arse John Williams!? :o

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:26 pm

So... done my tidying for the impending visit of the inlaws... thought I'd flick on the Chelsea match... little did I know that Inter v Spurs was the one to watch.

:shock:

Win or lose this is a cracking result for Inter.

Hudson
Regular international

Post by Hudson » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:25 am

4-1 to inter in the end, Spurs go through on away goals :shock:

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:24 am

It's always seemed dodgy to me that away goals in extra time still count. If the away team get a goal, then the home team need 2, or else they're out. If the home team get one, then the away team still only need one to go through.

Hudson
Regular international

Post by Hudson » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:54 pm

I've always disliked the away goals rule, it seems a rather random way of seeing which is the better team over 2 legs. Like if the teams draw 0-0 then 1-1, then both teams should be equal, i don't see why depending on what ground you score at should make any difference to the result.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:12 pm

It wasn't introduced to be fair... it was supposed to stop away teams turning up with 10 defenders and boring the crap out of everyone.

I kind of agree with ditching it after 180 minutes though... if nothing else it gives 1 team an extra 30 minutes of 'power play'

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:37 pm

theadore wrote:It wasn't introduced to be fair... it was supposed to stop away teams turning up with 10 defenders and boring the crap out of everyone.

I kind of agree with ditching it after 180 minutes though... if nothing else it gives 1 team an extra 30 minutes of 'power play'
What about with a minute of normal play remaining?

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:19 pm

what about it?

Maybe instead of away goals we should just invite the owners of each club into the centre circle for a money fight?

-BARON-23-
Promising manager

Post by -BARON-23- » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:33 pm

Away goals in general is a crap rule, it takes a lot of fun out of the ties! That Inter - Spurs game was great but when Spurs scored in extra time it just killed the game when it could have been so much more exciting had away goals not counted.