Callum McManaman's tackle on Massadio Haidara

Discuss all things football and non-rovers related
Hudson
Regular international

Re: Callum McManaman's tackle on Massadio Haidara

Post by Hudson » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:38 am

I've watched the clip over and over again in slow motion and to me it looks as if McManaman is trying to side foot the ball away and would have done so had Haidara not got a faint touch on the ball at 0:41, which changes the flight of the ball.

I can't say I how you can say he was "never going to get there", he's like milliseconds away from winning the ball.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:28 am

Hudson wrote:I've watched the clip over and over again in slow motion and to me it looks as if McManaman is trying to side foot the ball away and would have done so had Haidara not got a faint touch on the ball at 0:41, which changes the flight of the ball.

I can't say I how you can say he was "never going to get there", he's like milliseconds away from winning the ball.
Exactly. The 'studs up' argument is folly, he didn't try to play the ball with his studs. But it's physically impossible to kick at a ball without raising your studs off the ground. And having seen the incident again on the telly last night, I'm not so sure McManaman didn't get the ball first now.

Hudson
Regular international

Post by Hudson » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:34 am

Rover the Top wrote:And having seen the incident again on the telly last night, I'm not so sure McManaman didn't get the ball first now.
I've got a couple of screenshots, which i thought would help clarify the incident:
First one shows McManaman is NOT leading with his studs and is looking to sidefoot the ball to his left. His body positioning/balance supports this too.
Second one shows Haidara getting a touch on the ball, milliseconds before McManaman, which changes the flight of the ball and causing McManaman to only get minor contact with the ball.

However, on the side on angle (unfortunately picture quality is much worse), it looks as if McManaman is diving into tackle, with both feet off the ground: Pic 1 Pic 2

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:03 am

To be honest Hudson, I'm not sure how you could prove anything with those photos. It's all a bit spot the ball. :D

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:12 pm

Haidara's expected back in early April. It's all set up nicely for him to get a retrospective red card for something before the season ends...