Martin O'Neill

Discuss all things football and non-rovers related
the_exiled
New signing

Martin O'Neill

Post by the_exiled » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:36 pm

Sunderland are mad sacking him. If anyone can sort the mess here tho he could!! Bribe him with a chicken or two...

-BARON-23-
Promising manager

Re: Martin O'Neill

Post by -BARON-23- » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:42 pm

"If anyone could sort the mess he would"

Why are they in that mess then? It's not like he wasn't given enough time, simply doesn't have the team performing and for me, insisted on trying to play Graham with Fletcher for too long with Sessegnon behind limiting what he had in midfield

lisburnbrsc
Promising youngster

Post by lisburnbrsc » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:08 pm

Sometimes things don't work out, doesn't make him a bad manager. He knows his stuff, passionate individual, who gets his teams battling, AND playing football. Don't let what happened st Sunderland fool you, he will be back, and be back winning. Personally think Sunderland was the wrong club for him

the_exiled
New signing

Post by the_exiled » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:39 pm

If he had lost a 6 pointer it would maybe make more sense but to sack after getting beat by United and by a double deflection at that is crazy. 7 games to go and hovering over relegation. He is a good manager it wasn't that long ago he was being touted for England job.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:54 pm

:cry:

Although... I'm wondering when the cult of O'Neill will finally be done with. So he had some moderate success with Leicester about 50 years ago and won dullest pundit of the year a few times? If he was a great manager you'd have thought he'd have held down a decent job by now.

-BARON-23-
Promising manager

Post by -BARON-23- » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:24 pm

He did well at Villa even if he did spend a fair bob

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:45 pm

-BARON-23- wrote:He did well at Villa even if he did spend a fair bob
:shrug:

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:01 pm

I think O'Neil as been unlucky with injuries recently like with Steven Fletcher and Lee Cattermole who are out for the season. If O'Neil's sacking is an attempted to save Sunderland from relegation they have done nothing at all to help themselves and have only made there chances worse.

-BARON-23-
Promising manager

Post by -BARON-23- » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:47 pm

Darth Rover wrote:I think O'Neil as been unlucky with injuries recently like with Steven Fletcher and Lee Cattermole who are out for the season. If O'Neil's sacking is an attempted to save Sunderland from relegation they have done nothing at all to help themselves and have only made there chances worse.
Recently? Fletcher literally just got injured on international duty and this was the first game since he got injured, how is that being "unlucky with injuries". Having 20+ players on the injury list is bloody unlucky.

Also, they were in poor form, not looking likely to improve, why sit at let things carry on? A change was needed and even if it's just a honeymoon period till the end of the season with a new manager, at least they'll stay up.

O'Neill and Sunderland just wasn't the right fit.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:22 am

-BARON-23- wrote:
Darth Rover wrote:I think O'Neil as been unlucky with injuries recently like with Steven Fletcher and Lee Cattermole who are out for the season. If O'Neil's sacking is an attempted to save Sunderland from relegation they have done nothing at all to help themselves and have only made there chances worse.
Recently? Fletcher literally just got injured on international duty and this was the first game since he got injured, how is that being "unlucky with injuries". Having 20+ players on the injury list is bloody unlucky.

Also, they were in poor form, not looking likely to improve, why sit at let things carry on? A change was needed and even if it's just a honeymoon period till the end of the season with a new manager, at least they'll stay up.

O'Neill and Sunderland just wasn't the right fit.
I would call it unlucky when the guy you are banking on to score goals to keep you up won't be around when you need him. Agreed Sunderland were in poor form but would you change O'Neil for a loose cannon like DiCanio who is said to be there preferred replacement? Sorry doesn't add up to me.

-BARON-23-
Promising manager

Post by -BARON-23- » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:09 pm

He's been there all season and they've been in this trouble all season! He's literally just become injured and you can't blame them being in a relegation battle on him being injured for that one game :doh:

If things are going so poor, why sit and wait for relegation and instead not go for it with a manager like Di Canio who looks as though he'd really pump up at team. Worth the risk if you ask me

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:16 pm

-BARON-23- wrote:He's been there all season and they've been in this trouble all season! He's literally just become injured and you can't blame them being in a relegation battle on him being injured for that one game :doh:

If things are going so poor, why sit and wait for relegation and instead not go for it with a manager like Di Canio who looks as though he'd really pump up at team. Worth the risk if you ask me
Oh Dear. You must really get your facts right before posting. (Especially when you want to be a sports journalist) Being in trouble usually means being in the bottom three. They are not and haven't been in the bottom three under Martin O'Neil this season. Without Steven Fletcher's 11 goals this season Sunderland would be bottom. Therefore its reasonable to say that without Steven Fletcher Sunderland would as you say be in trouble. The point you are missing about Fletcher is he is out for the rest of the season. It doesn't matter if he's only just got injured the point is Sunderland's top scorer won't be playing any more games this season and Sunderland will be worse off without him. Surely you can see that :doh:

-BARON-23-
Promising manager

Post by -BARON-23- » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:56 pm

Get my facts right? I have not said anything about how many goals he has scored this season :shrug:

You were saying he was unlucky to have these injuries when he got sacked, the fact of the matter is, yes Fletcher may have so many goals but they are still in a relegation battle, still in poor form and regardless of who played, they were still not winning :shrug:

At the time, the way you put your statement across, you made it seem as though O'Neill was unlucky to have to put up with these injuries as though they'd already affected Sunderland in the previous 30 games! The fact of the matter is, Sunderland were not getting results and regardless of how many goals he scored, Sunderland are still in major trouble.

A team is made up of 11 players, not 1. It's the same thing here at Blackburn, where would we be without Rhodes goals. Impossible to say but even with Rhodes goals the managers have not been good enough and we are now fighting relegation

Either way, O'Neill was not doing a good enough job and needed to go, with or without Fletcher, they were still poor.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:47 pm

Where in my original post have i suggested that the injuries have been prolonged and hindered Sunderland's season. You will notice i used the word recently which as you know means something as or occurring at a time immediately before the present. I was merely highlighting the fact that when you are struggling nothing rarely goes your way and just before you have to go to Old Trafford and play a game you can ill afford to lose you have to do it minus two of your better players. :shrug:

-BARON-23-
Promising manager

Post by -BARON-23- » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:00 pm

Darth Rover wrote:
Where in my original post have i suggested that the injuries have been prolonged and hindered Sunderland's season. You will notice i used the word recently which as you know means something as or occurring at a time immediately before the present. I was merely highlighting the fact that when you are struggling nothing rarely goes your way and just before you have to go to Old Trafford and play a game you can ill afford to lose you have to do it minus two of your better players. :shrug:
The way you said it came across as though O'Neill has been hampered with injuries, if that's not what you meant so be it but the way you typed it didn't come across as you knew it was only one game Fletcher had recently missed