Alex Ferguson has retired

Discuss all things football and non-rovers related
Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Re: Alex Ferguson has retired

Post by Rover the Top » Thu May 09, 2013 9:30 am

Darth Rover wrote:He's done well but he's also been lucky. Not too far off being sacked before winning the FA Cup beating Crystal Palace in a replay. Then he inherited the best bunch of young players United had seen in years including the best British player of the generation. His master strokes were Cantona, Solskjaer and Ronaldo but its nice to have the financial backing and huge support United have to help you along. All things considered he has been the best manager United have seen and will take some beating.
That's a pretty good summary. You could also add in the luck in the timing of getting his first side to click just as it became very lucrative to be successful in English football (we should have also benefited from that but got rid of Dalglish instead of getting him to build our own empire). And the favourable press coverage Man Utd have got has also helped. Instead of becoming the stars at their favourite club, the best young talents are indoctrinated into believing the objective is to play for Man Utd, so the likes of Wayne Rooney and Phil Jones move on at young ages, stopping the poorer clubs from ever developing their own teams to compete at the top. It's easy to maintain a level of dominance when you can hoover up the best talent around, even from clubs that are trying to rival you. Ourselves, Chelsea and Man City have managed to build teams capable of challenging at the top, but they're difficult to maintain over a longer period against the reputation of Man Utd. Only Liverpool can match them in that respect, and they've been at least a step behind being caught in a transitional period when the PL started.

I'm not so sure United will fall without Ferguson. They might stumble initially, but they're too rich and strong to lose their grip on the top completely. Unfortunately.

Rover the Moon
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Rover the Moon » Thu May 09, 2013 9:39 am

Money helps but on many occassions it's not enough

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Thu May 09, 2013 9:59 am

It depends on your starting point. It's difficult to do what Rovers did, build a title-winning team from scratch. It was even harder to maintain it because we didn't have the reputation to keep it all together - star players left for 'bigger' clubs and we couldn't bring in the same quality as replacements. Chelsea managed to hold on to their stars, but have struggled to find replacements now their best players are aging, and they've been surpassed by Man City as the team to go to for the money.

But in Man Utd's situation, they already have a title-winning squad, the love of the media, the biggest fanbase in the country and the money and reputation to pinch any decent players making waves at other clubs. It's far from being the biggest challenge in football to keep it going.

Rover the Moon
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Rover the Moon » Thu May 09, 2013 11:37 am

I just think Moyes will be exposed by what goes on on the pitch.

Narrow formations and a defensive mindset will not go down too well with Prawns. It could be the end of United's period of playing wingers too.

All dynasty's end

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Thu May 09, 2013 12:20 pm

It's not like you to predict failure... :yeahright:

We will see. There's plenty of examples of managers moving into a new job and trying to fix what isn't broken, but the obvious thing is to leave what is already a winning formula in place. I'm not convinced that Moyes will try to get Man Utd playing like his Everton side.

Rovertheseas
Experienced international star

Post by Rovertheseas » Thu May 09, 2013 3:49 pm

Moyes just been confirmed by Everton (and unofficially, Man Utd, who posted it on their Facebook page by accident before they officially announced it).

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Thu May 09, 2013 4:19 pm

Decent shout by Manure.

Rovertheseas

Post by Rovertheseas » Thu May 09, 2013 5:13 pm

Gibbon wrote:Decent shout by Manure.
Fans seem to be up in arms but, I think that, unfortunately, it's a very good move for Man Utd. He'll have Ferguson above him to bed him in, and I don't think Moyes will crack under the pressure.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Thu May 09, 2013 5:59 pm

The first thing i thought of when Ferguson retired was would it alter any decision on the managers job at Man City? Odd though it sounds i think City may keep Mancini in charge if he's up against a new manager at United.

Rovertheseas

Post by Rovertheseas » Thu May 09, 2013 6:39 pm

Six year deal :shock: !

Rover Ryan
Ageing international

Post by Rover Ryan » Fri May 10, 2013 5:13 am

Rovertheseas wrote:
Gibbon wrote:Decent shout by Manure.
Fans seem to be up in arms but, I think that, unfortunately, it's a very good move for Man Utd. He'll have Ferguson above him to bed him in, and I don't think Moyes will crack under the pressure.
My red friend wrote:Anything less than Jose Mourinho for me will be a disappointment.
:doh:

Rover Ryan
Ageing international

Post by Rover Ryan » Fri May 10, 2013 5:21 am

Rovertheseas wrote:Six year deal :shock: !
There were some rumblings that the criminals on Wall Street were threating about the credibility of the new Manager. Could be a statement to them that they are serious about Moyes so they don't lose investors.

I wonder if he's got a Henning clause in it :yeahright:

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri May 10, 2013 8:01 am

Rovertheseas wrote:Six year deal :shock: !
Not surprising given they've just had a very good example of what can happen if you give a manager time and patience. And by time I mean seasons rather than 10 games... :yeahright:

Rover the Moon
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Rover the Moon » Fri May 10, 2013 8:26 am

If he sees out the season he will have done well.

I can just see him now mulling over targets......Fellani......Baines.......ooooh QPR have been relegated........

UTD fans are going to find out what it's like to follow any other club. The era is over

iamarover
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by iamarover » Fri May 10, 2013 8:39 am

Rover the Moon wrote:If he sees out the season he will have done well.

I can just see him now mulling over targets......Fellani......Baines.......ooooh QPR have been relegated........

UTD fans are going to find out what it's like to follow any other club. The era is over
Wouldn't it make sense to go for those two? I thought Baines was already rumoured to be a Utd target and Fellaini a general target for the 'big clubs'. With Moyes having worked with them for years I'd have thought they'd work quite well at Utd, although Fellaini needs to work on his discipline.