Championship Playoffs

Discuss all things football and non-rovers related
Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Re: Championship Playoffs

Post by Rover the Top » Wed May 15, 2013 11:04 am

Indeed, it is all opinion. I still think Berg would have turned into a good choice had he been given longer, he was systematcically making changes to the team, we never got to see what he was working towards as he only got ten games and didn't even have the opportunity to fill the holes in the squad. I understand City sacking Mancini more: no matter what his results record was, he was an arse causing flashpoints with talented players rather than man-managing them to get the best out of them. Not a recipe for long-term success.

As for who should get it now, people talk about experience all the time, and Bowyer actually has experience of working with the players and getting them to perform at a satisfactory level. There's no guarantees with anyone, but there's little logic in expecting the one option already doing the job well to suddenly fail rather than carry on as he's started.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Wed May 15, 2013 12:02 pm

I agree, Berg could have turned out to be okay, I'm almost certain he would have got better results if we'd kept him on longer...but then that wouldn't have been hard.

I certainly saw more glimmers of potential in him that I did in Appleton.

I still would have picked Poyet ahead of him though.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Wed May 15, 2013 12:04 pm

Appleton was terrible... up there with Ince, Kidd and Kean in my estimations.... Although on that basis it will be a while before I will trust a 4 lettered manager again.

Bowyer is a fair enough choice.. and looking down the bookies list, unless Benitez is a serious contender I'd say stick.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Wed May 15, 2013 12:06 pm

theadore wrote:Appleton was terrible... up there with Ince, Kidd and Kean in my estimations.... Although on that basis it will be a while before I will trust a 4 lettered manager again.
Appy... :yeahright:

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Wed May 15, 2013 4:55 pm

Gary :yeahright:

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Thu May 16, 2013 1:20 pm

Rover the Top wrote:Indeed, it is all opinion. I still think Berg would have turned into a good choice had he been given longer, he was systematcically making changes to the team, we never got to see what he was working towards as he only got ten games and didn't even have the opportunity to fill the holes in the squad
Agreed, the more I think about Berg's appointment the more I think that within a couple of fine margins he'd have gone on the be a reasonable success. Namely the matches away at Huddersfield and at home to Birmingham and Millwall.

-BARON-23-
Promising manager

Post by -BARON-23- » Thu May 16, 2013 2:00 pm

Things were looking worse after every game Berg had in charge! Thank god he went when he did

iamarover
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by iamarover » Sun May 19, 2013 5:43 pm

Yeovil get into the championship. Local match for me, fingers crossed I can make this after being busy when we had Bristol City away.

-BARON-23-
Promising manager

Post by -BARON-23- » Sun May 19, 2013 6:42 pm

Sadly i can see them being the whipping boys of the league which would be a shame as they've done great to get there!

-BARON-23-
Promising manager

Post by -BARON-23- » Mon May 20, 2013 4:16 pm

Paul Dickov appointed Doncaster manager :O

Jim
Experienced international star

Post by Jim » Mon May 20, 2013 6:15 pm

-BARON-23- wrote:Paul Dickov appointed Doncaster manager :O
Mixed feelings, he got good results with Oldham (beating Liverpool in the cup etc) on a a non-existent budget and now he'll have money to play with and a chance in the championship.

One thing he is, is firm but fair. He will get the lads fired up and motivated, something which Brian Flynn struggled to do at times on the run in.

Prepared to give him a chance! :D

-BARON-23-
Promising manager

Post by -BARON-23- » Mon May 20, 2013 7:47 pm

I didn't follow his time at Oldham, only noticed his team struggled a bit but obviously i had no idea about budgets etc!

Always thought Donny would have gone for an experienced head and it would have been no great surprise to me if Warnock had taken that job.

Either way, good luck to Paul! Sure he'll get a good welcome back at Ewood