Ched Evans

Discuss all things football and non-rovers related
Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Re: Ched Evans

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:00 pm

Over 60,000 now. Oldham will have to start planning to ground share with one of the Manchester clubs if they don't sign him...

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:18 pm

BBC ask every League 1 and 2 club if they would sign Ched Evans

Might be worth him asking at Wycombe if Oldham don't sign him :yeahright:

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:40 pm

AFC Wimbledon: We're not responding to this.
It sounds like they did? :yeahright:

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:42 pm

Dan wrote:BBC ask every League 1 and 2 club if they would sign Ched Evans

I'm surprised more clubs didn't just no comment that blatant new fishing attempt.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:03 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Dan wrote:BBC ask every League 1 and 2 club if they would sign Ched Evans

I'm surprised more clubs didn't just no comment that blatant new fishing attempt.
Some will want to make a statement for the same reason Red Ed did.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:06 pm

His subsequent treatment at the hands of fans and the media will make him more of an example than a role model

I'd have liked a large proportion of his future earnings go towards helping victims of Rape, though I'm not sure that would have been within the powers of our current legal system. Still all of this could redundant if he manages to overturn his sentence.

I do think it's ludicrous that he's coming under fire for not having shown any contrition, when he's constantly maintained his innocence.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:14 pm

There is an argument that he behaved poorly regardless of if the lady was able to consent or not which he could have apologised for I suppose.

Also, I didn't know Leslie Grantham was a convicted murderer who served 10 years prior to getting a part on Eastenders.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:16 pm

I knew that about Grantham. :D

I think you either believe in rehabilitation or you don't. I do, although I should add that I don't think Evans should be playing for any club until the matter is resolved... i.e his license period finishes or he establishes his innocence. In the latter case I'd imagine he'd be looking at substantial damages for loss of earnings.
Last edited by Gibbon on Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:42 pm

Oldham Athletic sponsors told deal is done
A deal has been agreed for convicted rapist Ched Evans to play for Oldham Athletic, the club's sponsors say.
They have been told to prepare for an announcement confirming the signing of striker Evans on Thursday or Friday, the BBC has learned.
One sponsor, Verlin Rainwater Solutions, has now ended its association with the club as a result.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:52 pm

Will be interesting to see if the MoJ allow him to take up the contract if its offered.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:14 pm

mrblackbat wrote:Will be interesting to see if the MoJ allow him to take up the contract if its offered.
I can't see what possible objection they could have within their remit provided he continues to meet the requirements of his license.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:52 pm

That's exactly what I mean, there are parts of the license under which sex offenders are released that might be deemed to be breached by the public role of a footballer. E.g. clause 1 is "restrictions on the activities you can do", which could mean anything; also, the bit about remaining in sight of areas where children can be found could be extended to football grounds with fans etc, especially kids waiting for autographs and the like.

If they want to, they can easily apply some of those rules to stop him being able to play.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:58 pm

I'm sure there would be a line of barristers waiting to challenge that interpretation! I have no doubt this will already have been discussed following the Malta situation.

-BARON-23-
Promising manager

Post by -BARON-23- » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:11 pm

Gibbon wrote:His subsequent treatment at the hands of fans and the media will make him more of an example than a role model

I'd have liked a large proportion of his future earnings go towards helping victims of Rape, though I'm not sure that would have been within the powers of our current legal system. Still all of this could redundant if he manages to overturn his sentence.

I do think it's ludicrous that he's coming under fire for not having shown any contrition, when he's constantly maintained his innocence.
Like he'd donate his earnings to that when he's still adamant he did nothing wrong in the first place :lol:

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:11 pm

-BARON-23- wrote:
Gibbon wrote:His subsequent treatment at the hands of fans and the media will make him more of an example than a role model

Like he'd donate his earnings to that when he's still adamant he did nothing wrong in the first place :lol:
Did I not make the implication clear that it would have been court ordered? :?