Ched Evans

Discuss all things football and non-rovers related
User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 26633
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Ched Evans

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:08 pm

Gibbon wrote:I think the only thing most us will agree on is that regardless of innocence or guilt Ched Evans seems to be a blithering idiot.
Aye, but most PL players wouldn't have careers if that was a reason to stop someone from playing football... :D

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 13934
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Ched Evans

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:43 pm

Uh-oh, Steve Bruce is going to be brandished as a potential rapist by "Jean Hatchet"....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30742947

User avatar
theadore
Inexperienced manager
Posts: 9401
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:25 pm

Re: Ched Evans

Post by theadore » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:33 pm

Same as idiot radio lady on Question Time last night... 'If you look at the case' says someone who has 'read a lot about it' and therefore has a better knowledge of the case than the Jury who actually sat on it?

(Maybe I'm misrepresenting Steve/Julia whatsit?? - I obviously wouldn't know how much or little they know)

User avatar
Ethiaa
Site Admin
Posts: 13069
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:22 am
Location: Preston
Contact:

Re: Ched Evans

Post by Ethiaa » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:34 pm

I suppose they might have been on the jury :yeahright:

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 13934
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Ched Evans

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:42 pm

theadore wrote:Same as idiot radio lady on Question Time last night... 'If you look at the case' says someone who has 'read a lot about it' and therefore has a better knowledge of the case than the Jury who actually sat on it?

(Maybe I'm misrepresenting Steve/Julia whatsit?? - I obviously wouldn't know how much or little they know)
I would say 10 of the 12 people that sat on the jury that I was on last year didn't understand the case.

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 26633
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Ched Evans

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:09 pm

The problem is, just because someone is sat on a jury listening to the evidence first hand, it doesn't mean they're more capable of processing it and arriving at the correct verdict than someone reading through the reports. There's no special qualifications needed, and they don't suddenly get magical powers to see the truth. You only need to look around at the varying opinions to see the verdicts could be different with a different jury. I see no reason to put a jury's verdict as being above question from people reading the details of the case. This one is under review.

User avatar
Gibbon
Promising manager
Posts: 17154
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:54 am
Location: Location: Location
Contact:

Re: Ched Evans

Post by Gibbon » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:12 pm

mrblackbat wrote: I would say 10 of the 12 people that sat on the jury that I was on last year didn't understand the case.
Did the two who understood it explain it to you? :whistle: :wink:

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 13934
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Ched Evans

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:23 pm

Gibbon wrote:
mrblackbat wrote: I would say 10 of the 12 people that sat on the jury that I was on last year didn't understand the case.
Did the two who understood it explain it to you? :whistle: :wink:
I don't know, I didn't understand it.... ahem. Half the confusion was because the charge in question (conspiracy to commit theft) included the word "conspiracy" and so half the people there started speculating about all manner of stuff not brought up in evidence about whatever mad plot they thought the alleged perpetrator might have got up to.... :doh:

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 13934
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Ched Evans

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:24 pm

Rover the Top wrote:This one is under review.
And it wouldn't be under review if it was cut and dry....

User avatar
Gibbon
Promising manager
Posts: 17154
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:54 am
Location: Location: Location
Contact:

Re: Ched Evans

Post by Gibbon » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:24 pm

:D

User avatar
theadore
Inexperienced manager
Posts: 9401
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:25 pm

Re: Ched Evans

Post by theadore » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:55 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
theadore wrote:Same as idiot radio lady on Question Time last night... 'If you look at the case' says someone who has 'read a lot about it' and therefore has a better knowledge of the case than the Jury who actually sat on it?

(Maybe I'm misrepresenting Steve/Julia whatsit?? - I obviously wouldn't know how much or little they know)
I would say 10 of the 12 people that sat on the jury that I was on last year didn't understand the case.
I did Jury service last year - although mine was a fairly simple case. It's weird, but I think before I sat on the jury I wouldn't have trusted half the people there to open a can of beans... but there is something soothing about sitting with a genuine cross-section of society rather have a group of law nerds make a decision. Ultimately its up to the professionals to make sure the Jury understands the case.

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 13934
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Ched Evans

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:05 pm

theadore wrote: I did Jury service last year - although mine was a fairly simple case. It's weird, but I think before I sat on the jury I wouldn't have trusted half the people there to open a can of beans... but there is something soothing about sitting with a genuine cross-section of society rather have a group of law nerds make a decision. Ultimately its up to the professionals to make sure the Jury understands the case.
You can lead a horse to water....

There was a guy there who couldn't even read (they're prepared for that and have someone read the oath for you and you repeat it back), so consider a substantial portion of the evidence was text, he wouldn't have been particularly useful at coming to any of his own conclusions.

Nenya
New signing
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Ched Evans

Post by Nenya » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:47 am

Lee Hughes actually killed someone in an RTA whilst under the influence.
Last edited by Nenya on Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
theadore
Inexperienced manager
Posts: 9401
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:25 pm

Re: Ched Evans

Post by theadore » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:34 am

Not sure we actually know he was under the influence do we?

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 26633
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Ched Evans

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:27 pm

Evans has been granted an appeal based on new evidence that could help his defence.

Post Reply