Re: Ched Evans

Post by Gibbon » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:07 pm

:lol:

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:15 pm

Either way, Oldham don't want him any more
Oldham Athletic have decided against signing convicted rapist Ched Evans following threats to the club's "staff and their families".

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:49 pm

Threats to staff and families - not shocked, just sad. Hopefully they can receive the same treatment as the seemingly endless stream of people who consider it their duty to out the victims new identity.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:59 pm

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:08 pm

I bet that just gets used as further indication that he's showing no remorse. :shrug:

rob_of_the_robots
Valued squad member

Post by rob_of_the_robots » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:40 pm

It's definitely a lose-lose situation for him. If he apologises then he's basically admitting his guilt but by not apologising some people will just say he's showing no remorse for what he did. :shrug:

-BARON-23-
Promising manager

Post by -BARON-23- » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:16 pm

First time i've heard him apologise for anything and about bloody time. He's said all the right things there but still in my eyes whether he is actually guilty or not, you can't have a convicted rapist playing in front of all them fans and being in the media. The negative ramifications are just too much as you can see from Oldham pulling out of the deal

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:36 pm

-BARON-23- wrote:First time i've heard him apologise for anything and about bloody time. He's said all the right things there but still in my eyes whether he is actually guilty or not, you can't have a convicted rapist playing in front of all them fans and being in the media. The negative ramifications are just too much as you can see from Oldham pulling out of the deal
Why would he apologise when he thinks he's innocent?

I find plenty in the backlash to be particularly appalling, society really isn't showing itself off very well in the way this entire situation is being handled.

You say you can't have a convicted rapist playing in front of all those (4.5k average attendance at Oldham) fans, so what's your opinion on Mike Tyson? Which crimes from the people on this list do you think mean they should be allowed to continue playing and which means they shouldn't?

-BARON-23-
Promising manager

Post by -BARON-23- » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:55 am

He's not apologised for "raping" her but he's apologised for other things which i respect him for doing so.

Well a lot of those are minor things but the likes of Marlon King who kept receiving jail time should not be allowed back. Lee Hughes should never have been brought back. There's an argument any criminal record and your chances of being a professional footballer are gone but there's too many "minor" infringements of the law. As for Mike Tyson, boxing is a whole different sport with different perceptions. A lot of people were paying for people to punch the shit out of each other at the time; but he was jailed for rape and therefore shouldn't be allowed back in the public eye.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:46 am

I welcome the apology... I wish it had come sooner - particularly the part about the behaviour of his 'fans' he could have been shouting from the rooftops, and there is a cynical part of me that can't help but feel it has a lot more to do with 2 failed attempts at a professional contract than it does with any genuine contrition - but you can't have everything.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:59 am

I dunno - I think most of us would listen to our legal advice and keep our mouths shut (although most of us wouldn't have got ourselves in this situation to begin with so perhaps a pointless comparison).

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:01 pm

Ethiaa wrote:I dunno - I think most of us would listen to our legal advice and keep our mouths shut (although most of us wouldn't have got ourselves in this situation to begin with so perhaps a pointless comparison).
True on both counts.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:03 pm

I think the only thing most us will agree on is that regardless of innocence or guilt Ched Evans seems to be a blithering idiot.

-BARON-23-
Promising manager

Post by -BARON-23- » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:02 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: That made me laugh Gibbon