Karl Oyston Step Down – HELP the Petition

Discuss all things football and non-rovers related
Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Re: Karl Oyston Step Down – HELP the Petition

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:40 am

daib0 wrote:
Rover the Top wrote:I can only shake my head in disbelief at fans who think they can plaster the internet with libelous comments about their club's officials and then complain about having legal action against them.
Yes, but sued to the tune of a max £150,000 ? http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport ... -1-7039184

Not saying it's right to throw internet abuse though, I've never even used swear words in tens of thousands of posts on football forums ...
From that article:
The Gazette has seen the official legal documents issued to Mr Ragozzino.

They list a string of sickening comments he is alleged to have made about the Oystons, some of which he denies were sent by him.
That implies he did make at least some of the comments, and so is not the innocent victim being bullied by the evil club owners that he's being made out to be. Without knowing the full details it's difficult to comment on how much they've influenced other fans' opinions and what financial damage they've caused, but the atmosphere seems to have turned toxic pretty quickly. Remember, these are the same owners who took them to the Premier League only a few years ago. Now the hatred has escalated to the point where phone numbers are being given out so that they can be harassed.

I'm not saying the Oystons are lovely people, nor am I saying they couldn't run their club better. But criticisms should be limited to what's factual, and in some cases it may be wiser to hold back to prevent more damage being done to the club. We had the situation here after Venky's took over, it started with a few people posting various rumours that there was something dodgy about it. Initially they were ignored, but when results didn't improve, more started to believe something was wrong and eventually that turned into protests, booing in the stadium and a load of negative press. It had a number of effects on the club: the bank got scared by rumours that there was no money behind the club and wouldn't release funds for transfers, star players looked for opportunities to leave the poisonous atmosphere, those that stayed looked nervous and demotivated as they got booed by a section of the fans game after game, in one instance even after scoring a goal. Ultimately it ended in relegation from the Premier League. I fought a losing battle at the time trying to persuade people to let things settle down, but I just got told I was wrong, it was all down to the owners. No doubt the same people will still say the same now. The fans are always right, even when they're so obviously doing damage to the club they say they love.

It seems to be a similar thing at Blackpool now, this thread shows two instances where fans have created negative press for the club. It's said clubs shouldn't turn on their supporters, but these guys are doing the opposite of supporting the club, at a time when it needs backing.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:55 am

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/news/ ... -1-7091898

The fan has been given a "generous" 21 days to put together a proper defence.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:14 am

I wonder if the guy understands the real gravity of the Judge's ruling there. :|

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:00 pm

Yeah, I found it a confusing read. He was in court possibly facing losing the case automatically because he hasn't filed a proper defence, and yet is reacting as though he's achieved something by being given an extra 3 weeks to start taking the matter seriously. He's right about it being a waste of court time, but it seems he's the one wasting it.

In contrast, Blackpool were satisfied with an apology and a donation to their Community Trust from another fan.