New proposals to football rules

Discuss all things football and non-rovers related
mrblackbat
Promising manager

New proposals to football rules

Post by mrblackbat » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:23 pm

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40311889

I'm all for the stadium clock and thr clock stopping immediately if the ball goes out of play. Does away with timewasting, the arbitrary time added on and all that nonsense.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Re: New proposals to football rules

Post by theadore » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:07 pm

Which thread to choose?

I've advocated this in the past but I've gone the other way now. If they allow play to stop it seems likely that the broadcasters will start lobbying for an advert break mid game.

Mostly though if worry that it would change the game... I think the building of pressure, and stamina required to defend your goal for 45 minutes is an essential part of the game... Id worry that would be lost if players can get a drink and chat the the bench every time the ball is kicked out of play.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:50 pm

I don't think there's any need for extended breaks any more than currently exist when the ball goes out of play. Just regimented clock keeping.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:44 am

Indeed... my worry is that once you remove the clock ticking it will be possible to make the argument that it doesn't matter whether the game restarts in 30 seconds or 5 minutes.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:38 am

I suppose, though the argument you just put forward as to why not seems convincing!

If it were me, I would still keep a "delay of game" type clock so even though players wouldn't be taking time out the game there'd be penalties for taking ages over each deadball situation.