Reading FC woes...

Discuss all things football and non-rovers related
daib0
Valued squad member

Reading FC woes...

Post by daib0 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:52 pm

The 4th Official

Reading Players Seem Happy Just To Turn Up, Lose A Game & Get Paid For It

The start of the season has been tough for the Berkshire side, losing all three of their league fixtures and only scoring a single goal. Boos have been heard ringing around the Madejski after a 1-0 loss to Bolton on Saturday, and some fans are rapidly losing their patience with Paul Clement, after only 11 league games in charge. So what has caused these issues, I hear you ask. Well, here are just a few of the possible reasons.

Lack of money being invested

Clement hardly inherited the most talented squad in the league, so he would have hoped to be blessed with a significant budget in the summer window. Unfortunately, he wasn’t. The majority of his dealings this summer have been free transfers, excluding the deals for Sam Baldock and Marc McNulty, so Clement and Reading fans alike have reasons to be aggrieved by the lack of activity by the ‘billionaire’ owners.

The Royals does not have a good enough squad to survive comfortably in this league, as shown by the disappointing showing last season, so improvements have been a necessity. Other than Andy Yiadom at right back, none of the new signings have improved the squad too much, yet. However, the loan signing of Josh Sims is a shrewd piece of business, so hopefully, he can help change the fortunes of Reading.

Dominating games, no end product

Reading dominated the opening two fixtures this season, but couldn’t finish off the chances and put the game to bed, which ultimately cost the Royals. In both of the opening games they had so many opportunities to get the ball into the area and give the forwards a chance to put Reading ahead, but the delivery was poor, and the chances went begging.

It is going to cost the Royals a lot of points this season if they can’t improve the supply to the strikers. It was the same problem last season and look where Reading ended up. It is going to be a long, hard season for the club if they can’t create more clear-cut chances and capitalise on the games they are dominating.

Lack of positivity

Supporters went into the season with a sense of nervousness after last season’s showing, and understandably so. But it seems as if the players have also started in a negative frame of mind, almost expecting the worst, which is precisely what you don’t want at the start of a new season. Every time Reading concede, their heads drop, and nobody seems too bothered about whether they lose the game or not.

They all seem too happy just to turn up, lose a game and get paid for it. A few exceptions to this are Liam Moore, Mo Barrow and all the new signings (have not seen enough to judge just yet). Hopefully, results turn around and the atmosphere around the Madejski can improve in weeks to come.

Original article is here: https://the4thofficial.net/2018/08/read ... aid-for-it

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you guys think, looking in from the outside? Last season was Reading's worst league position finish in 15 years, after almost having been a yo-yo team between Premier/Championship. OK, you'll say, we should be grateful for a nice 21st century so far! But this season ... almost rock bottom (maybe QPR are even worse?!). But have we entered a downward spiral? If so, Division 1 awaits us next season. How do you see things? From a rather despondent Daib0!! :? :cry:

Gibbon
Promising manager

Re: Reading FC woes...

Post by Gibbon » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:34 am

This gives me pause;
daib0 wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:52 pm
Reading dominated the opening two fixtures this season, but couldn’t finish off the chances and put the game to bed, which ultimately cost the Royals. In both of the opening games they had so many opportunities to get the ball into the area and give the forwards a chance to put Reading ahead, but the delivery was poor, and the chances went begging.
It sounds like your first two results don’t fully reflect your performances and you could begin firing on all cylinders at any moment. If we’re not on our toes, we could be due a banana skin type shock.

daib0
Valued squad member

Post by daib0 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:46 am

Gibbon wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:34 am
This gives me pause;
daib0 wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:52 pm
It sounds like your first two results don’t fully reflect your performances and you could begin firing on all cylinders at any moment. If we’re not on our toes, we could be due a banana skin type shock.
the sort of soulsearching amongst fans is if we have been punching above our weight for a decade now, and if the bubble bursts...

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:53 am

Three games is nothing. Whilst no one likes losing, a bit of perspective is needed. Maintaining good form is incredibly difficult over time, your players get older, injured or just stop playing as well. Meanwhile, other clubs are striving to get better than you, looking for some way to overturn the advantage you've had over them. Few clubs manage to repeat their league performance season after season. Most have highs and lows, and I think the clubs who make the kneejerk decisions to a few bad results tend to be the ones who prolong the lows. Rovers are a good example of that - lots of manager changes in recent years saw us drop from a top 10 PL club into League 1. Some fans were demanding yet another change last season when a few disappointing results saw a gap open up between us and automatic promotion. Thank god we didn't. I don't think Mowbray is a football genius. I think there's plenty of potential managers who could do an equal job. But, he just needed a little bit of time and patience whilst he worked with the squad, and the results eventually followed.

But the game is going the wrong way, managers get less and less time to affect a team before they're sacked for not performing miracles in areas they don't have direct influence over. If you know your players aren't good enough, and there isn't the resources to replace them, the best thing for fans to do is lower expectations and get behind them.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:55 pm

I did watch your opening game against Derby and you were much better than I expected having seen how awful you were last season, particularly during the back end of the season. You've still got Clement but it is a different side than last season and you've been unlucky certainly to lose against Derby so late from a brilliant goal and from what I've seen and heard in summary from the Bolton game.

But I also think you can count yourselves lucky to have have not been relegated last season, we went down the season before having 51 points and you stayed up on 44. You benefited from Sunderland imploding all season, Burton finally struggling to cling to safety despite best efforts and Barnsley with all the issues they've dealt with with losing managers and all their best players.

Losing and that spiral of negativity is a difficult to turnaround, fortunately we hit our rock bottom dropping down to League 1 after 7 years of general decline and anger from the fans. But Mowbray has completely revitalised the club and we're heading in a good direction. All I'd say from the outside looking in that I don't think Clement is going to be the manager that turns things around and things may get worse before they get better.

daib0
Valued squad member

Post by daib0 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:57 pm

Thanks for these nice and thoughtful replies ... much appreciated!
Obviously no-one has a divine right to anything, and looking back in history I'd be absolutely stupid to claim Reading were even half a 'big' side ...but things were so good under Madejski ;)