Motherwell captain dies

Discuss all things football and non-rovers related
Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Motherwell captain dies

Post by Dan » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:52 pm

:-(

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 164150.stm
Motherwell captain Phil O'Donnell has died after collapsing towards the end of his side's Scottish Premier League game against Dundee United.

The 35-year-old midfielder fell to the ground just as he was about to be replaced with Marc Fitzpatrick near the end of Motherwell's 5-3 victory.

O'Donnell was treated for around five minutes on the field before being taken to a waiting ambulance.

But his death was later confirmed by the Fir Park club.

Gouldy
Valued squad member

Post by Gouldy » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:11 pm

Its so shocking and sad when these things happen. Guys who give thier lives to being in peak physical condition then collapse and die. Does anyone know what he died of?
Last edited by Gouldy on Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RoverWithALimp
Regular international

Re:

Post by RoverWithALimp » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:31 pm

Gouldy wrote:Its so shocking and sad when these things die. Guys who give thier lives to being in peak physical condition then collapse and die. Does anyone know what he died of?
When these things die?

Anywho, he died of a brain problem apparently, which makes a change to the on pitch heart-attack that has happened to the likes of Marc Vivien.

Apparently O'Donnell was a really nice chap too! The good always die young!

RIP Phil...

Gouldy
Valued squad member

Re:

Post by Gouldy » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:50 pm

RoverWithALimp wrote:
When these things die?
Oooops, meant to put happen :oops:

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Re:

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:53 am

RoverWithALimp wrote: Anywho, he died of a brain problem apparently, which makes a change to the on pitch heart-attack that has happened to the likes of Marc Vivien.
Did you make that up yourself, or was it one that your neighbour's auntie's best friend's dog heard?

Officially:
:scratch:

Sad to hear, but unfortunately that's life. I was rather alarmed to hear that a man died after falling 300 ft off Sharp Edge on Blencathra at the weekend. I slipped on the same bit of mountain a few years ago, could easily have gone the same way if some random guy hadn't caught me before I lost my grip.
Last edited by Rover the Top on Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Re:

Post by Dan » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:55 am

Rover the Top wrote:
RoverWithALimp wrote: Anywho, he died of a brain problem apparently, which makes a change to the on pitch heart-attack that has happened to the likes of Marc Vivien.
Did you make that up yourself, or was it one that your neighbour's auntie's best friend's dog heard?

Officially:
:scratch:
Yeah, soon after it happened the official word was some kind of suspected ''brain problem' or seizure

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Re:

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:25 pm

Dan wrote: Yeah, soon after it happened the official word was some kind of suspected ''brain problem' or seizure
:-? According to the report you linked to, Motherwell initially said he had 'some form of seizure', which wouldn't automatically imply a 'brain problem', nor rule out a heart attack. They also made it clear that they weren't giving precise information at the time. After all, how could they until the post-mortem was carried out?

So... I just find it very strange that someone would give such a definite response to a question they can't possibly know the answer to... :dunce: