David Bentley

Discuss all International football at senior and youth levels
Willy
Ageing international

Post by Willy » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:02 am

Really good article here--http://www.tribalfootball.com/article.php?id=56079

Shows how mature Bentley is being about the whole thing. You can tell this lad is full of confidence and I don't think it comes across as arrogance either.

Also, David Platt says Bentley is the best player he ever worked with at U21 level, which is nice. :-D

I agree (to a point) with what JRover says about him possibly becoming an ex-Rover if he cements his place in the England team, that's always a possibility. It's natural for high profile players to play for so-called high profile clubs but I do see Bentley being here for a while yet, regardless of what happens with England.
Last edited by Willy on Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

streakyb
Valued squad member

Post by streakyb » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:02 am

Bentely get slated by fans and even McClaren (who I think half supported the booing). Yet McClaren is deperate for Scholes to come back. Is what Scholes is doing any worse than Bentley? Scholes has quit international football becuase he thinks he needs the rest. Bentely missed an U21 tournament to have some rest after his first ever true full season. Yet McClaren and many fans would open Sholes back with open arms but think Bentley is a disgrace. They both should be treated the same, whether it with boos and no effort to bring them back or with open arms.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:00 am

Moronic idiots, basically.

Anyway, on the whole was quite a decent performance, mostly from the new (or returned) boys. I thought Barry was excellent in the middle and his passing was great and forward thinking; and (I'm ashamed to say it) Heskey had a great game up front holding play up, having good movement and putting himself about without giving fouls away as seems to constantly happen to Crouch.

SWP was good, but made a few too many unforced sloppy passes for me to put us under unnecessary pressure (think their best chance came from one), which put a slight mar on his otherwise very good performance.

Of course, for the next game, Barry and Heskey will be dropped and replaced with Crouch and Hargreaves.... just in the way that Shorey was dropped despite being excellent the minute Ashley Cole is fit again.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Re:

Post by Gibbon » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:10 am

mrblackbat wrote:Heskey had a great game up front holding play up, having good movement and putting himself about without giving fouls away as seems to constantly happen to Crouch.
Did you read this a week or so ago? linky

Is it the lads fault if his elbows are at most players face level.... :whistle: ;)

And yeah, I thought Barry was the best player on the pitch.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:19 am

Yeah he's always been unfairly treated at international level, but then seeing as nobody wants to do anything about that, it leaves it silly to pick him as all his strengths are taken away.

Joe
Ageing international

Post by Joe » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:17 pm

He's kept his place in the squad.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Re:

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:29 pm

Joe wrote:He's kept his place in the squad.
And Wright phillips is a doubt. So I guess Jermaine Penis is set to start on the right? ;)

Rover the Moon
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Rover the Moon » Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:04 pm

Larissa showed that Bentley is now going to have to get clever as teams are beginning to single him out for double marking, or his form is going to suffer

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:01 am

Another Bentley soundbite:
\"When you first come into football, you have to get used to all the crap that comes with it.\"
:-D [/quote]

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:40 pm

Bentley for England!

Surely Capello can't ignore him?

rover and out
New signing

Re: David Bentley

Post by rover and out » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:36 am

Bentley surely has got to be picked now 8)

Joe
Ageing international

Re: David Bentley

Post by Joe » Sat May 17, 2008 10:03 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 406263.stm

I wonder If Bojan will get a vendetta against him from the Spanish supports in the same way Bentley did.
The other notable omission was Barcelona's 17-year-old striker Boban Krkic, who has complained of fatigue after his debut season.

"I spoke with Bojan and he told me he was physically and mentally tired and I trust him when he says he isn't in the best shape to come," Aragones added.