Englands world cup hopes.

Discuss all International football at senior and youth levels
User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 27140
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Englands world cup hopes.

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:23 am

We should try the John Coleman trick and sub the goalie in the last minute because we reckon the back up has a save in him... :scratch:

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14731
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Englands world cup hopes.

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:41 am

Joe wrote:
Gibbon wrote:Okay, so I'm generally a pretty dour realist when it comes to England, but even I can see that the teams we REALLY struggle against are the teams that people tend to label as the ones we should easily beat.

I'd actually fancy our chances against Germany more than a game against someone like Ghana or Japan, and to be perfectly honest, to see England being tested against teams like Germany is exactly what the world cup should be about.
Yup, leaving all the team selection/team performance/team tactic arguments to one side, these early group games, especially the build ups, had started to become a little tedious. Its definitely going to feel a lot more like the World Cup now, and I can't wait for Sunday.
There's some cracking potential fixtures coming up too; likely quarter finals of Spain vs Portugal, and Brazil vs the Netherlands....

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 27140
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Englands world cup hopes.

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:48 am

I think it's possible Spain won't get through today. Switzerland have to be favourites to beat Honduras, and I think Chile are capable of at least getting the point they need to be sure of qualifying.

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14731
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Englands world cup hopes.

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:48 pm

It's possible, but I think Spain will go through having had the misfire against the Swiss. I also can see the Swiss really failing against Honduras; they were more than lucky to get the win against Spain, and Chile destroyed them. I'm not sure they can go out and win a game on the front foot.

User avatar
roverzealous
Ageing international
Posts: 3529
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Englands world cup hopes.

Post by roverzealous » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:47 pm

mrblackbat wrote:There's some cracking potential fixtures coming up too; likely quarter finals of Spain vs Portugal, and Brazil vs the Netherlands....
It'll be Spain vs Portugal on Tuesday if Spain win today and Portugal don't beat Brazil.

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14731
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Englands world cup hopes.

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:56 pm

roverzealous wrote:
mrblackbat wrote:There's some cracking potential fixtures coming up too; likely quarter finals of Spain vs Portugal, and Brazil vs the Netherlands....
It'll be Spain vs Portugal on Tuesday if Spain win today and Portugal don't beat Brazil.
So it will.

User avatar
Joe
Ageing international
Posts: 3579
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:04 pm

Re: Englands world cup hopes.

Post by Joe » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:36 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
roverzealous wrote:
mrblackbat wrote:There's some cracking potential fixtures coming up too; likely quarter finals of Spain vs Portugal, and Brazil vs the Netherlands....
It'll be Spain vs Portugal on Tuesday if Spain win today and Portugal don't beat Brazil.
So it will.
And the winner of that second round clash will face a seemingly easy route to the final. Easy for a world cup anyway. They'd have to get past just two of Paraguay/Japan/Uruguay/S Korea/USA/Ghana in the QF and SF.

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14731
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Englands world cup hopes.

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:55 pm

Er, no.

Paraguay or Japan in the quarter, then England or Germany or Argentina or Mexico in the semi final.

User avatar
Joe
Ageing international
Posts: 3579
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:04 pm

Re: Englands world cup hopes.

Post by Joe » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:48 pm

mrblackbat wrote:Er, no.

Paraguay or Japan in the quarter, then England or Germany or Argentina or Mexico in the semi final.
Apologies, I think you're right. But that's after double checking numerous times, as quite a few online sources seem to have got it wrong. ie See the BBC (surely by QF's would be named in a consecutive order...)

User avatar
theadore
Inexperienced manager
Posts: 9710
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:25 pm

Re: Englands world cup hopes.

Post by theadore » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:59 am

mrblackbat wrote:It's possible, but I think Spain will go through having had the misfire against the Swiss. I also can see the Swiss really failing against Honduras; they were more than lucky to get the win against Spain, and Chile destroyed them. I'm not sure they can go out and win a game on the front foot.
:mygod:

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14731
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Englands world cup hopes.

Post by mrblackbat » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:07 am

theadore wrote:
mrblackbat wrote:It's possible, but I think Spain will go through having had the misfire against the Swiss. I also can see the Swiss really failing against Honduras; they were more than lucky to get the win against Spain, and Chile destroyed them. I'm not sure they can go out and win a game on the front foot.
:mygod:
:king:

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14731
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Englands world cup hopes.

Post by mrblackbat » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:10 am

Joe wrote:
mrblackbat wrote:Er, no.

Paraguay or Japan in the quarter, then England or Germany or Argentina or Mexico in the semi final.
Apologies, I think you're right. But that's after double checking numerous times, as quite a few online sources seem to have got it wrong. ie See the BBC (surely by QF's would be named in a consecutive order...)
Yeah the problem is the QFs aren't played in order, so a little confusing!

If you get a chart version up, they all seem right:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... nd_results

User avatar
Darth Rover
Ageing international
Posts: 4070
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 6:27 pm
Contact:

Re: Englands world cup hopes.

Post by Darth Rover » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:46 pm

Cacau is out of the England v Germany game.
http://football.uk.msn.com/world-cup-20 ... =153928898

User avatar
Joe
Ageing international
Posts: 3579
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:04 pm

Re: Englands world cup hopes.

Post by Joe » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:27 pm

behind enemy lines wrote:Cacau is out of the England v Germany game.
http://football.uk.msn.com/world-cup-20 ... =153928898
He rarely features anyway.

Our best bet is to put a really heavy challenge in on Ozul pretty early on.

User avatar
roverzealous
Ageing international
Posts: 3529
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Englands world cup hopes.

Post by roverzealous » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:05 pm

Upson to start, same team that played against Slovenia. -Sky Sports News

Post Reply