World Cup 2010 General Chat

Discuss all International football at senior and youth levels
Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Re: World Cup 2010 General Chat

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:31 am

I was pleasantly surprised by Blatter's apology yesterday, it's the first time I've heard FIFA admit that referees are less than perfect. My view on using technology in football has always been that the mistakes that make the headlines just shouldn't be made - if the ref and linesmen are doing their jobs properly, they should be able to see what really happened. The goal on Sunday was obvious, it crossed the line by a clear margin. You could see that on TV without the replays. People in the ground clearly saw it due to the chants that followed. Frank Lampard knew it was in, he was celebrating scoring, not appealing to the ref. However, as unbelievable as it seems to me, the referee and linesmen both somehow weren't looking at that crucial moment. And since it keeps happening, and we have the ability to make up for their overwhelming incompetence, we may as well use some device to tell them that the ball has passed into the goal. It shouldn't be necessary, but since being a useless dickhead seems to be a prerequisite for taking charge of an important match, it will make things fairer.

Jurgen Klinsmann made a decent point that the idea of keeping the game 'pure' doesn't work when they'll happily ban a player after seeing video after the game. But I'd still be wary of using it to make decisions during the game. It would have been easy to correct the linesman's gaffe in not noticing that Tevez was 7 miles offside when he scored against Mexico - everyone in the stadium saw it was wrong before they even restarted the match. But then did anyone see a conclusive view of what happened for the Portugal player to be sent off last night? And the use of cameras in cricket has shown that mistakes can be made even if you stop the game for several minutes. Maybe they could use a replay to check that a goal wasn't scored by a player who was offside, but a lot of decisions are down to the discretion of the referee, and the real way forward would be to find better referees. Somehow.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:35 am

Savory wrote: i know i should have put apologys originally but i'd just woken up :bored:
:shrug: So you want to spell words incorrectly when you're fully awake?

:D

Savory
Promising manager

Post by Savory » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:37 am

Rover the Top wrote:
Savory wrote: i know i should have put apologys originally but i'd just woken up :bored:
:shrug: So you want to spell words incorrectly when you're fully awake?

:D
i couldnt be arsed correcting it half asleep :roll:

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:45 am

Well, congratulations on thoroughly confusing me. The plural of 'apology' is 'apologies', which is what you put originally. But you're saying you'd have put 'apologys' if you hadn't just woken up. Which is wrong. So changing it now that you're not half asleep wouldn't be a correction. Are you blonde by any chance? :D

Savory
Promising manager

Post by Savory » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:49 am

that was my aim, good night 8)

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:54 am

Have you tried dying your hair? :-o

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:14 am

That's Hairist! :-o

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:00 am

Hair is like religion - you might be born and raised as a Catholic, but you still decide for yourself whether you want to believe that a cross-dressing Nazi paedophile* is infallible or not. Similarly, if you have ginger hair, you can always decide to shave it off or wear a hat.

* That only being a hypothetical character of someone who may be made Pope, of course... ;)

Savory
Promising manager

Post by Savory » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:39 pm

Rover the Top wrote:Have you tried dying your hair? :-o
it has already died to be fair ;)

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:58 pm

And of course that time I meant to put 'dyeing', but I was half asleep at the time... :foot:

SheepShagginRover
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by SheepShagginRover » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:05 pm

Roverstalk banter, it's what makes this forum awesome. No other forums have banter quite like it.

Savory
Promising manager

Post by Savory » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:16 pm

banter oi oi :P

roversmillsy
Ageing international

Post by roversmillsy » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:26 pm

Nigerian President bans team from international ompetition for 2 years as a result of poor World Cup performance

:shock:

I suspect that would have severe sanctions from Fifa if they go through with it.

roversmillsy
Ageing international

Post by roversmillsy » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:27 pm

It works, it works. I've managed to edit the URL thingy so I can put what it means(if you understand what I mean :scratch:)

:hyper: