Post by theadore » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:48 am

I had Ghana... and Higuain to be top scorer... :(

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Re: World Cup Sheepstake - see p1 for chosen teams

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:58 am

mrblackbat wrote:
rover-the-rainbow wrote: (after super save by Luis Suarez) :whistle:
Which followed a shot from a rebound from a shot by a player offside.... :whistle:
I've finally seen the replay after your puzzling text on Friday. If you have the power to freeze the picture at the time of the header, and look at the position of the three key players at that point, you can see that he is level with the goalkeeper but his right leg is slightly ahead of the defender who is running back to the goal line. Technically, he's probably an inch or two offside at that moment. But at full speed, it looks like he's in line with both the defender and goalie as far as any human could judge. It's like the Higuain goal that you claimed was 'obviously' offside earlier in the tournament - he was actually behind the ball except for part of his foot, technically offside but virtually impossible to spot without a slow motion replay. I guess that your hunch was that both goals were offside by a larger margin and therefore you want to argue that they were 'clear', when in reality they were extremely close and it's no surprise to me that the linesmen kept their flags down.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:17 pm

glad somebody else has said it... i replayed it on iplayer a few times and couldn't see this blatent offside. I assumed either me or blackbat didn't understand the rules.... :)

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:01 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
mrblackbat wrote:
rover-the-rainbow wrote: (after super save by Luis Suarez) :whistle:
Which followed a shot from a rebound from a shot by a player offside.... :whistle:
I've finally seen the replay after your puzzling text on Friday. If you have the power to freeze the picture at the time of the header, and look at the position of the three key players at that point, you can see that he is level with the goalkeeper but his right leg is slightly ahead of the defender who is running back to the goal line. Technically, he's probably an inch or two offside at that moment. But at full speed, it looks like he's in line with both the defender and goalie as far as any human could judge. It's like the Higuain goal that you claimed was 'obviously' offside earlier in the tournament - he was actually behind the ball except for part of his foot, technically offside but virtually impossible to spot without a slow motion replay. I guess that your hunch was that both goals were offside by a larger margin and therefore you want to argue that they were 'clear', when in reality they were extremely close and it's no surprise to me that the linesmen kept their flags down.
Sounds closer than I remember, then.

However, Appiah was also offside from the original freekick as well, thus gained an unfair advantage from that delivery too. Personally I think it's an easier decision to give when the player doesn't make the ground themselves to get onside and the closeness of a decision comes from a defender coming back to their position.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:20 pm

It doesn't matter that he was offside when the freekick was taken. :shrug:
An attacker (C) is in an offside position, not interfering with an opponent,
when a team-mate (A) passes the ball to player (B1) in an onside position who
runs towards the opponents’ goal and passes the ball (B2) to team-mate (C).
Attacker (C) cannot be penalised because when the ball was passed to him, he
was in an onside position.
It only matters whether he was offside when the header was made. And the linesman would have to guess, as he'd have to see through both Appiah and then the goalie to see whether there was any part of Appiah's body that he could score with that was ahead of the defender and the goalie.

If you want to see the incident again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F59bLY7W0qY

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:39 pm

Rover the Top wrote:It doesn't matter that he was offside when the freekick was taken. :shrug:
An attacker (C) is in an offside position, not interfering with an opponent,
when a team-mate (A) passes the ball to player (B1) in an onside position who
runs towards the opponents’ goal and passes the ball (B2) to team-mate (C).
Attacker (C) cannot be penalised because when the ball was passed to him, he
was in an onside position.
It only matters whether he was offside when the header was made. And the linesman would have to guess, as he'd have to see through both Appiah and then the goalie to see whether there was any part of Appiah's body that he could score with that was ahead of the defender and the goalie.

If you want to see the incident again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F59bLY7W0qY
Ok fair enough. I forget that the rule is stupid these days....

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:22 am

Worthwhile doing this, wasn't it? :lol:

SheepShagginRover
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by SheepShagginRover » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:04 pm

'course

Roverdamus
Regular international