World Cup 2018

Discuss all International football at senior and youth levels
Blue&White
New signing

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by Blue&White » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:52 pm

The world cup in Russia will be won by Germany. No other country poses a real threat. Argentina have peaked (Messi will not be the the best in 3 years), Spain will have a better chance than in 2014 with players like De Gea, Koke and Fabregas running things but they will not be strong enough, England... not really worth mentioning, Brazil could stand a chance if they pick the right squad next time... I mean where was Lucas, Coutinho even Kaka and Ronaldinho would have been better than Jo and Fred. Germany's squad is not only the best, but they are young and will only get better.

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:19 am

Blue&White wrote:The world cup in Russia will be won by Germany. No other country poses a real threat. Argentina have peaked (Messi will not be the the best in 3 years),
Messi won't even be there.
Messi misses penalty in Copa America Final shootout, gives up on International football
"It's not meant for me. For me the national team is over. I've done all I can, it hurts not to be a champion"
"It's been four finals, I tried. It was the thing I wanted the most, but I couldn't get it, so I think it's over"
"It's very hard, but the decision is taken. Now I will not try more and there will be no going back"

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:34 am

Can't see him staying retired

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:38 am

theadore wrote:Can't see him staying retired
Yeah, I think there's a lot of truth in this:
Argentina and Manchester United goalkeeper Sergio Romero said he hoped Messi would "reflect" on his decision and reconsider, adding: "I think he spoke while he was heated, because a beautiful opportunity escaped us."

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:44 am

Dan wrote:
Blue&White wrote:The world cup in Russia will be won by Germany. No other country poses a real threat. Argentina have peaked (Messi will not be the the best in 3 years),
Messi misses penalty in Copa America Final shootout, gives up on International football
"It's not meant for me. For me the national team is over. I've done all I can, it hurts not to be a champion"
"It's been four finals, I tried. It was the thing I wanted the most, but I couldn't get it, so I think it's over"
"It's very hard, but the decision is taken. Now I will not try more and there will be no going back"
Quitter.

Ice
New signing

Post by Ice » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:19 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Dan wrote:
Quitter.
Seriously, if it was my dream I would surely not just give up. Has Messi not won enough with Barcelona and individually?
"It hurts not to be a champion" sounds like a crybaby thing to say from a South American especially. How many great players have never won anything with their countries and still won't just quit with 29, instead keep going for years and years for that same dream.

wrinks_89
Valued squad member

Post by wrinks_89 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:40 pm

It sounds as though it was said in haste. If he had the burning desire he speaks of he'll retract that. I think he spat his dummy out with the penalty miss

Ice
New signing

Post by Ice » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:07 am

If it wasn't, Argentina could be in trouble anyway. Chile, Uruguay and Colombia all have great teams, Ecuador had a great start and Brazil with Neymar should be able to win some more games. South America has 4.5 spots to qualify, would be quite something if they didn't.

wrinks_89
Valued squad member

Post by wrinks_89 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:59 pm

I don't rate Argentina at all without Messi tbh.

Ice
New signing

Post by Ice » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:59 pm

They have some great players coming up, such as Dybala from Juve, but he's no Messi either.
In midfield, they have a great Mascherano replacement with Kranevitter at least.
But is anyone impressed with their defense or midfield that played in the Copa final?

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:41 am

I saw a great proposal somewhere on Twitter during Euro 2016, suggesting that instead of suspending players for collecting too many yellow cards, the player should instead have to start the next game from the bench.

That would prevent teams from losing their better players in key matches, while still penalising them. They could still use one of their substitutions to bring the player on in the first minute if necessary.

It struck me as an excellent idea.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:00 pm

Wortha try... Obviously they could sub them in at 1 minute, but then risk playing short later on.

Good for the players as well... Missing the biggest game if your career is a harsh punishment for a mistimed tackle.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:03 pm

I think they should get banned for the tournament.