World Cup 2018

Discuss all International football at senior and youth levels
Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:58 pm

Again, YOUR OWN interpretation of what's important. 'Low risk' doesn't mean 'better'. There are often greater benefits to making a riskier choice. As I've said twice before, selecting Russia is more in line with what FIFA say their aim is. If they think they can achieve more by staging the competition in one country over another, then they may be prepared to take more risks.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:13 pm

Whatever. You've obviously got a bone to chew so no point discussing further if you're just going to decide that anything that supports my argument in their own report has no basis in their decision process.

Might as well say Russia won it because Tchaikovsky wrote the 1812 overture.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:25 pm

If the report was the be all and end all of their decision process, why bother having a vote? It's an evaluation report to indicate what requirements have been met, and highlight risks involved in each bid. It doesn't, as you seem to think, conclude or give a recommendation as to which bid should win. I'm not saying the report doesn't matter, but you seem to be implying it's all that matters. There's other factors to consider, and I mean like FIFA's objectives as an organisation, rather than the bribes... ;)

Joe
Ageing international

Post by Joe » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:30 pm

Its strangely satisfying seeing you two argue :D

Anyway, I'm with Blackbat. Fifa, even if they didn't expressly say it, did insinuate (in reports, interviews ect) that England's bid was better than a poor one. This came across in reports, interviews ect.

I want to see the World Cup here in my life-time, so I am perhaps being a little biased. But this whole thing has really pissed me off. And as Blackbat has pointed out, the Qatar success is the real evidence of the corruption. Absolute joke.

And as for blaming the media, rubbish. Hopefully this will just fuel investigative journo's to dig up more dirt. Maybe even wikileaks can find something instead of trying to start WW3.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:42 pm

Joe wrote:I want to see the World Cup here in my life-time
Is there any other way to see it? :-o

Joe
Ageing international

Post by Joe » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:54 pm

Gibbon wrote:
You know full well what I meant. Cheeky monkey.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:11 pm

Gibbon wrote:
He could see the World Cup there in his life time. But unless FIFA changes its attitude towards joint bids, I think seeing it everywhere might not be possible.

SheepShagginRover
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by SheepShagginRover » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:31 pm

Qatar don't allow Jews or Gays into the country. What is Israel or America (who has a few Jews in the first team) qualify?

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:50 pm

SheepShagginRover wrote:Qatar don't allow Jews or Gays into the country. What is Israel or America (who has a few Jews in the first team) qualify?
Where do you dig this stuff up?

SheepShagginRover
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by SheepShagginRover » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:51 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
SheepShagginRover wrote:Qatar don't allow Jews or Gays into the country. What is Israel or America (who has a few Jews in the first team) qualify?
Radio said so this morning.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:24 pm

Always the best policy to take everything you hear on the radio to be the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. I'd never have expected the Israeli national team to be a bunch of queers...

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:46 pm

SheepShagginRover wrote:
mrblackbat wrote:
Well, it's illegal to commit the act of sodomy irrespective of the sex of the two adults in Qatar. But as for not being allowed into the country, I can't find anything to suggest that.

As for forbidding Jews from entering, I can't find anything at all to suggest they're not allowed in.

Sounds like xenophobic claptrap, to me.

Simon
Ageing international

Post by Simon » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:06 pm

Whilst the report doesn't bluntly say "Englands bid is better", on the various performance indicators it was stronger.

SheepShagginRover
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by SheepShagginRover » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:43 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
SheepShagginRover wrote:
mrblackbat wrote:
Well, it's illegal to commit the act of sodomy irrespective of the sex of the two adults in Qatar. But as for not being allowed into the country, I can't find anything to suggest that.

As for forbidding Jews from entering, I can't find anything at all to suggest they're not allowed in.

Sounds like xenophobic claptrap, to me.
I've done an internet search and you're right - it seems to be an urban myth or an unofficial policy. Apparently Qatar has already stated Israel will be allowed to play if they qualify, I'm sure they'd have to relax their rules for the duration of the World Cup to fit in with international standards anyway. They've already okayed drinking in specific places. I'm not sure whether their system is the same as Saudi Arabia but here's a quote from a (rather amateurish) website on Jews gaining entry to Saudi Arabia.
http://www.mideastweb.org/log/archives/00000205.htm wrote: Jewish People

No Jews! Doesn't matter what their views about Israel might be. Not even Israel Shamir, or Noam Chomsky or an anti-Zionist Neturei Karteh Hassid can get a tourist visa into Saudi Arabia. No Israelis can enter either, not even Arab MKs like Mohamad Barakeh. But that isn't all. We have some customs in this part of the world concerning women as well. The instructions continue as below:

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:46 pm

Saudi Arabia/Qatar/Israel/Russia... all the same place, innit? Bl00dy Nazis... :foot:

I may be wrong, but I think the deal with Qatar is that there's one rule for the locals, another for the foreigners. You don't make much money being completely intolerant of your clients' cultures...