World Cup 2018

Discuss all International football at senior and youth levels
Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:52 pm

In any case, I don't want 'them' to make money. I'd rather it went to me.

iamarover
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by iamarover » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:30 pm

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:48 pm

So, Russia and Qatar then. FIFA aren't corrupt though, oh no.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:55 pm

I'd be more impressed if they found 10 photos of Sepp Blatter not looking like a dick.

tomthebodz
Regular international

Post by tomthebodz » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:17 pm

On the Sky Sports News ticker they had odds on David Beckham being knighted had we got the 2018 World Cup, as we didn't what does that mean? Can he be banished from the country?

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:22 pm

He's going to be knitted now.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:31 pm

mrblackbat wrote:So, Russia and Qatar then. FIFA aren't corrupt though, oh no.

Heh heh. They all make ideal bed mates if you ask me.

Can't really see it as a bad thing, possible bribery and corruption issues aside, Russia and Qatar have never hosted it before and it makes sense for it to go to places that haven't.

And as I said before I think we'd have made a humongous loss anyway. Having said that, I wonder how much this whole bid farce has cost us? :scratch:

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:40 pm

Gibbon wrote:

Can't really see it as a bad thing, possible bribery and corruption issues aside, Russia and Qatar have never hosted it before and it makes sense for it to go to places that haven't.

And as I said before I think we'd have made a humongous loss anyway. Having said that, I wonder how much this whole bid farce has cost us? :scratch:
I genuinely think we wouldn't have made a loss. Pretty much all the stadiums already built, and those that aren't being part funded by the clubs in question. Add in all the sponsorship and tourism cash and it would have been far more profitable than the olympics.

As for Qatar hosting, well there's the rather obvious flaw of their footballing record, both domestically and internationally as reasons why it shouldn't be held there. I don't really have a problem with Russia hosting; but I do find it amusing that the two most likely bids to get involved in corruption are those that prevailed.

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:52 pm

At least this way when we go out early it's slightly less humiliating than it would be if we were the hosts.

Joe
Ageing international

Post by Joe » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:55 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Gibbon wrote:

I genuinely think we wouldn't have made a loss. Pretty much all the stadiums already built, and those that aren't being part funded by the clubs in question. Add in all the sponsorship and tourism cash and it would have been far more profitable than the olympics.

As for Qatar hosting, well there's the rather obvious flaw of their footballing record, both domestically and internationally as reasons why it shouldn't be held there. I don't really have a problem with Russia hosting; but I do find it amusing that the two most likely bids to get involved in corruption are those that prevailed.
Also, apparently alcohol is not allowed in Quatar? I'm sure one of Fifa's biggest sponsors, Budweiser, will be pleased with this. Along with the millions of fans hoping to travel.
Last edited by Joe on Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:56 pm

Joe wrote: I'm one of Fifa's biggest sponsors
:shock:

Joe
Ageing international

Post by Joe » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:13 pm

Dan wrote:
Joe wrote: I'm one of Fifa's biggest sponsors
:shock:
Erm, yes. I am.
:oops:

SheepShagginRover
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by SheepShagginRover » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:25 pm

Well that's a load of fucking bullshit. England came last!? I was a neutral onlooker and England definately deserved to win it, they have the stadiums, the fans, the atmosphere and the infrastructure to run a World Cup properly. Problems with the other 2018 bids:

1) Russia
Russia is massive, games played in places such as Kazan will mean that fans will have to take a 12hr train journey. The sheer size of Russia and the spread of cities away from St Petersburg/Moscow renders a World Cup impossible. Russia also has one of the world's tightest VISA regulations, believe it or not it was easier to get a VISA into Soviet USSR than it is modern Russia. VISAs to Russia are also incredibly pricey. Another point, just look at the Champions League Final they held there: fans got mugged outside of the stadiums and there was considerable violence. Plus its bollock freezing.

2) Spain and Portugal
Both countries are bust. Economies for both Spain and Portugal are very poor, and its not impossible that they could go the same way as Greece did. Also, Spain and Portugal didn't do much canvassing for their bid, which is very unusual. This smacks of a lack of dedication to host such a massive event. Besides the economic cloud hanging over the bid and the lack of campaigning, the bid was generally decent and I'd have had it second after the English bid.

3)Holland and Belgium
Not much to say, this bid never got started. One of the also rans in all reality.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:51 pm

England 2018 bid adviser Sir Keith Mills wrote:"I think we're all gutted. We felt over the last 18 months we had an outstanding bid. I think we had the best bid technically. I think our three lions did an outstanding job.

"You have to understand that Fifa's view of a host city is different to our own. Their message was today they want World Cups to go to developing countries.

"None of the mature countries in the world are being selected."
That's a poke in the eye for Putin anyway... :lol: