Montenegro Vs England KO 8pm

Discuss all International football at senior and youth levels
cwspellowe
Promising youngster

Re: Montenegro Vs England KO 8pm

Post by cwspellowe » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:00 pm

Well said, even at the World Cup last year I lost interest quickly when I saw none of the players were that arsed, they just looked like they wanted to go home. And again, Rooney's name crops up, when he hurled abuse down the camera I lost all respect for him.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:33 pm

cwspellowe wrote:What an absolute clown. To think we as a nation still pin our hopes on the petulant child that is Rooney is embarrassing. Yet another Internationals competition and Rooney has made headlines for himself again, and now the media is blaming the fact his Dad was arrested? Surely at £150k+ a week you should be getting paid enough to not let something like that affect you on the pitch? It's only 90 minutes after all. If my Dad was arrested i'd still be expected to go to work and put in a performance and I certainly wouldn't kick someone while i'm there!

Discuss...
What a ridiculous comment. :shock: :doh: So is there a magic number that you need to be paid to be able to turn off your emotions? He shouldn't have lashed out, but I can empathise that the stress of his family situation would be enough to make him snap. I'm certain it would affect me if either of my parents made national headlines by being arrested, and I wouldn't have to go about my every day life in the public eye with strangers rubbing it in my face. And whilst my job doesn't involve physically competing, I know from personal experience how easy it is to see red when you're under emotional strain. I also reckon these days a lot of employers would be sympathetic towards employees whose work may be affected by personal matters. It may be our unofficial national sport to lay into public figures who fuck up, but in this instance I think it was Capello who made the mistake.

Rover Ryan
Ageing international

Post by Rover Ryan » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:26 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
cwspellowe wrote:What an absolute clown. To think we as a nation still pin our hopes on the petulant child that is Rooney is embarrassing. Yet another Internationals competition and Rooney has made headlines for himself again, and now the media is blaming the fact his Dad was arrested? Surely at £150k+ a week you should be getting paid enough to not let something like that affect you on the pitch? It's only 90 minutes after all. If my Dad was arrested i'd still be expected to go to work and put in a performance and I certainly wouldn't kick someone while i'm there!

Discuss...
What a ridiculous comment. :shock: :doh: So is there a magic number that you need to be paid to be able to turn off your emotions? He shouldn't have lashed out, but I can empathise that the stress of his family situation would be enough to make him snap. I'm certain it would affect me if either of my parents made national headlines by being arrested, and I wouldn't have to go about my every day life in the public eye with strangers rubbing it in my face. And whilst my job doesn't involve physically competing, I know from personal experience how easy it is to see red when you're under emotional strain. I also reckon these days a lot of employers would be sympathetic towards employees whose work may be affected by personal matters. It may be our unofficial national sport to lay into public figures who fuck up, but in this instance I think it was Capello who made the mistake.
I agree with parts of both these arguments but lets face it his dad wasnt in trouble when he stamped on Carvalho's nads in the world cup and you dont see other England players losing it and getting sent off since Scholes, Beckham, Paul Ince.... hey theres a pattern there who'd of thunk it!!

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:29 pm

There is probably truth here in significant amounts. However, just as I continually fail to look beyond my dislike of BFS or Joey Barton, I still thnk Rooney is a grade 'A' petulant cretin. A talented one though.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:46 am

Rover the Top wrote:

Discuss...
Maybe he shouldn't have played but it isn't just Capello who takes the rap... Rooney should have made himself unavailable. Pretty sick of Rooney apologists though and have been for some time... we seem incapable of admitting that great players have flaws then act surprised when they let us down. Every time a pundit rolls out the 'you can't take the aggression out of his game line' I weep a little for what football has reduced us to.

cwspellowe
Promising youngster

Post by cwspellowe » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:32 pm

Rover the Top wrote:

Discuss...

Ridiculous how exactly? These people are multi millionaires playing on the biggest stage, why should they not be expected to leave their shit at the door and behave a certain way?

I was a call centre manager for a while, I got a call last year saying my brother in law and close friend had died unexpectedly. Did I start lashing out at the customers I was dealing with? Or did I do the dignified thing and ask to be excused and take the appropriate time off to reconcile and look after my now fatherless nephew until things settled down?

Noone would blame Rooney for saying he wasn't up to it. But everyone can blame him for what he did. Maybe Capello shouldn't have picked him, but if the man himself makes himself available then Capello can only take his word that he's emotionally sound. And then he goes and kicks someone.

Regardless of this game alone, he's yet again proved what a twat he is, only 12 months after blackmailing United into higher wages and embarrassing himself at the World Cup. Highest paid ignorant twat I can think of tbh.

Rovertheseas
Experienced international star

Post by Rovertheseas » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:35 am

You're both basing this argument on the premise that Rooney is a rational human being. Both of those adjectives are up for debate.

cwspellowe
Promising youngster

Post by cwspellowe » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:49 pm

Rovertheseas wrote:You're both basing this argument on the premise that Rooney is a rational human being. Both of those adjectives are up for debate.
One adjective, one adnoun ;)

But yes, you're right

Rovertheseas
Experienced international star

Post by Rovertheseas » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:23 am

Damn. Back to the grammar books :oops:

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:49 am

theadore wrote:
Rover the Top wrote:

Discuss...
Maybe he shouldn't have played but it isn't just Capello who takes the rap... Rooney should have made himself unavailable. Pretty sick of Rooney apologists though and have been for some time... we seem incapable of admitting that great players have flaws then act surprised when they let us down. Every time a pundit rolls out the 'you can't take the aggression out of his game line' I weep a little for what football has reduced us to.
Okay, let's ignore the simple fact that if his decision making is impaired because of personal issues, he's probably not going to make the right decision and make himself unavailable. :roll: The manager is the one with the clear head, and the one making the final decision. It seems to me he read the situation wrong. And I don't think it's the case that we can't admit our best players have flaws, if anything we seem to make more out of their imperfections than their talents.

Rooney's a great footballer, but we know he can't control his temper. Events last week made it more likely his short fuse would be lit. No matter how much money he's paid, he ain't going to become someone else. And I don't agree with setting whiter-than-white standards for people that we wouldn't meet ourselves, just so we can beat them up when they don't.