England Vs Spain 12/11/11 KO 5.30PM

Discuss all International football at senior and youth levels
-BARON-23-
Promising manager

Re: England Vs Spain 12/11/11 KO 5.30PM

Post by -BARON-23- » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:13 am

I'd love for us to keep them out of the team. Both Ferdinand and Terry are past their best and have slowed too much over the last two years. Gerrard is just injury prone and because of who he is, he fucks up our formation and tactics too much. I'd still like to see G Johnson replaced by Walker or Richards and then A Cole replaced by Baines.

Savory
Promising manager

Post by Savory » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:25 pm

Erm, all they did was park the bus RTT, thought u hated that type of big sam esque football...

However I do agree its good to show we dont need the likes of rooney and rio

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:37 pm

Savory wrote:Erm, all they did was park the bus RTT, thought u hated that type of big sam esque football...
There's a time and a place. If we were playing Andorra, it would be a stupid tactic. But Saturday night's game was like when we beat Arsenal at the end of the 09/10 season. We were playing a stronger team, and it made sense to neutralise them rather than go for an open game where we were likely to be outclassed. The problem with Allardyce's tactics were that he often decided to 'park the bus' against sides we could have beaten, and then gave up in the tough games when it would have been a viable option.

Joe
Ageing international

Post by Joe » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:57 pm

Spain just had an off day. As they do in most non-competitive matches. They'll walk the Euros.

And as for suggesting the lack of Rooney contributed to us winning? That's just ridiculous. You'll be suggesting not taking him to the Euros next. Darren Bent leading the line against Europe's elite. Just what we need.

roversmillsy
Ageing international

Post by roversmillsy » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:22 pm

Joe wrote:You'll be suggesting not taking him to the Euros next. Darren Bent leading the line against Europe's elite. Just what we need.
I'm suggesting we don't take Rooney. He's banned for the group stages and it would be a big, big mistake to take him. If we take him and get knocked out of the group stages, Capello will get blamed for taking him. I feel if we get through the group stages, it would be wrong for Rooney to walk straight into the team for the knock-out rounds. I would take 5 of Bent, Defoe, Crouch, Welbeck, Sturridge and on current form Agbonlahor.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:12 pm

Joe wrote:Spain just had an off day. As they do in most non-competitive matches. They'll walk the Euros.

And as for suggesting the lack of Rooney contributed to us winning? That's just ridiculous. You'll be suggesting not taking him to the Euros next. Darren Bent leading the line against Europe's elite. Just what we need.
Doesn't really matter if Spain are going to walk it anyway? :P It seems a bit daft to mock the idea of Bent playing after we've just got a victory against the best team in the world... but that wasn't my point. For the first time in an age, we looked like we had a functional team. What has been happening is that when all the celebrity players are available, they all play even if they don't fit into a workable system.
roversmillsy wrote:
I'm suggesting we don't take Rooney. He's banned for the group stages and it would be a big, big mistake to take him. If we take him and get knocked out of the group stages, Capello will get blamed for taking him.
The players who play instead in the group stages will make the squad anyway. Whoever you take in Rooney's place is only going to get a game if injuries stack up. Which is more likely to be as the competition goes on, by which point you'll have Rooney available again. If he's worth having in the squad, then he should go even if he is banned.

Joe
Ageing international

Post by Joe » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:32 pm

I find it utterly outrageous that anyone would think not taking Rooney is a good idea. :lol:

And RTT, I'm all for dropping the 'celebrity' players that have always seemed to have guaranteed places, regardless of their form/ability. (And I'm sure you'd place match-winner Lampard in that collective too....)
My point was merely that nobody should be getting ahead of themselves simply because we beat Spain. In their last 10 non-competitive friendlies they have won 3 games, beating Venezuela, the USA, and scraping a 3-2 win in Chilie.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:26 pm

I'm not getting ahead of myself. I doubt we'll win the tournament, not least because I don't have much confidence in the manager to pick a team when it matters.

By the same token, people shouldn't be so pessimistic and keep writing us off before a ball is kicked.

Savory
Promising manager

Post by Savory » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:33 pm

its ok for a friendly tho isnt it?

Joe
Ageing international

Post by Joe » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:48 pm

Rover the Top wrote:I'm not getting ahead of myself. I doubt we'll win the tournament, not least because I don't have much confidence in the manager to pick a team when it matters.

By the same token, people shouldn't be so pessimistic and keep writing us off before a ball is kicked.
I'm not writing anyone off. However should Rooney be left out the squad, I'd bet everything I own on us going out in the 2nd round or perhaps QFs.

-BARON-23-
Promising manager

Post by -BARON-23- » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:53 pm

roversmillsy wrote:
Joe wrote:You'll be suggesting not taking him to the Euros next. Darren Bent leading the line against Europe's elite. Just what we need.
I'm suggesting we don't take Rooney. He's banned for the group stages and it would be a big, big mistake to take him. If we take him and get knocked out of the group stages, Capello will get blamed for taking him. I feel if we get through the group stages, it would be wrong for Rooney to walk straight into the team for the knock-out rounds. I would take 5 of Bent, Defoe, Crouch, Welbeck, Sturridge and on current form Agbonlahor.
Yeh i fully agree with this :) Also, Rooney is never the same player for England that he is for United. The funny thing is Fergie tries to play Rooney in midfield as a Silva style player and it always back fires :)

Rover Ryan
Ageing international

Post by Rover Ryan » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:57 am

Joe wrote:
Rover the Top wrote:I'm not getting ahead of myself. I doubt we'll win the tournament, not least because I don't have much confidence in the manager to pick a team when it matters.

I'm not writing anyone off. However should Rooney be left out the squad, I'd bet everything I own on us going out in the 2nd round or perhaps QFs.
2nd round is Quarter Finals in the Euro's!!
I hope he leaves Rooney out. I think we have more chance with the less whiney overpaid letdowns in the side!!

Joe
Ageing international

Post by Joe » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:43 pm

OllieBoard wrote:
Joe wrote:

2nd round is Quarter Finals in the Euro's!!
I hope he leaves Rooney out. I think we have more chance with the less whiney overpaid letdowns in the side!!
Yeah, a Euro's without the likes of Rooney, Ronaldo, Nani, Balotelli, and the French squad will be such a spectacle.