17%
Netherlands win
33%

Total votes: 6

Savory
Promising manager

Re: England V Netherlands, Wed 29 Feb, 19.45

Post by Savory » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:01 pm

Fair enough, hes not as poor as some make out though, but yeah sturridge was very good, but not as good as the england captain :P

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:17 pm

Just to correct you, I did say he was "over-rated", not "poor"... ;)

Joe
Ageing international

Post by Joe » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:18 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
Joe wrote: Spot on. He's like a Gareth Barry version 2.0. Which isn't much of an upgrade on version 1.0.
At least Barry looks to get the ball forward to other players.
When he tries to do this, he more often than not loses the ball. At least Parker knows his limits, hence his team keeps the ball.

There's nothing wrong with passing sideways, or indeed backwards. In fact a lot of the time its necessary to draw teams out, spread the play, and create gaps in the opposition. The only problem with Parker is he seems to pass for the sake of passing, with no real ultimate goal. Like you say, he lacks vision.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:19 pm

Rover the Top wrote:Just to correct you, I did say he was "over-rated", not "poor"... ;)
But I rate him as just above poor so... ;)

Savory
Promising manager

Post by Savory » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:57 pm

Joe wrote: There's nothing wrong with passing sideways, or indeed backwards. In fact a lot of the time its necessary to draw teams out, spread the play, and create gaps in the opposition. The only problem with Parker is he seems to pass for the sake of passing, with no real ultimate goal. Like you say, he lacks vision.
thats parkers role and the way england play, its up to those around him to create something.
Rover the Top wrote:Just to correct you, I did say he was "over-rated", not "poor"... ;)
i didnt say you said he was poor :dunce:

Joe
Ageing international

Post by Joe » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:37 pm

Savory wrote:
Joe wrote: There's nothing wrong with passing sideways, or indeed backwards. In fact a lot of the time its necessary to draw teams out, spread the play, and create gaps in the opposition. The only problem with Parker is he seems to pass for the sake of passing, with no real ultimate goal. Like you say, he lacks vision.
thats parkers role and the way england play, its up to those around him to create something.
i didnt say you said he was poor :dunce:
His passing should still have some sort of aim though. He just makes the first pass that becomes available. I know its unfair to compare him with some of the best players in the world, but if you watch Scholes, Xavi, Xavi Alonso and Busquets (to name a few) they frequently turn passes down, only to release the ball almost immediately to a better option. Parker's role (especially when playing on an International scale) should include that.

I just hope Wilshire is back sooner rather than later.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:44 pm

Joe wrote:I know its unfair to compare him with some of the best players in the world,
Is it? He's The Football Writers' Player of the Season and England's Player of the Year, surely he should be compared to some of the best players in the world?

Joe
Ageing international

Post by Joe » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:34 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
Joe wrote:I know its unfair to compare him with some of the best players in the world,
Is it? He's The Football Writers' Player of the Season and England's Player of the Year, surely he should be compared to some of the best players in the world?
If we're going to abide the myth that England are still one of the best International football teams in the world, then I suppose its not too unfair.