England Squad

Discuss all International football at senior and youth levels
Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Re: England Squad

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:30 pm

mcteeth wrote:I'm almost certain that Klopp doesn't read these threads, but if he did he may well die laughing.
At the fact two mere observers are arguing over which established player at the top-end of the game is most devoid of talent? :yeahright:

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:08 pm

Ethiaa wrote:Has Rooney actually played in midfield against anyone decent?
No.

And Henderson definitely hasn't captained Liverpool this season to draw at Spurs, thrash Leicester, win at Arsenal and win at Chelsea scoring goal of the month.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:51 pm

No, but unlike any player for Liverpool, he does have 5 PL Champions medals. Odd that for someone so utterly terrible,

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:53 pm

Ethiaa wrote:Has Rooney actually played in midfield against anyone decent?
Has Henderson ever played decently against anyone? :shrug: Henderson reminds me of Hargreaves, except he's even worse.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:55 pm

Classy play by Dier.... oh wait....

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:31 pm

Joe Hart easily England's best player. Says a lot.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:44 pm

mcteeth wrote:Our all time top scorer is on the bench tonight, how will we ever score a goal :-o
Good question. :(

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:58 am

mrblackbat wrote:
mcteeth wrote:Our all time top scorer is on the bench tonight, how will we ever score a goal :-o
Good question. :(
:lol: Was just about to do the same...

England's problem isn't Wayne Rooney's poor form, it's the lack of quality through the rest of the squad even when they're on form.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:13 pm

The most pleasing thing about last night is that in general the media and usual hacks are not drawing stupid conclusions about the performance or result on the fact that Rooney was dropped, because the reality is it is completely irrelevant.

First and foremost Slovenia played really well and made the game very difficult for us with the intensity, aggression and pressing they kept up for most of the game. But overall we were poor, Hart aside.

I've been impressed with some of the things Southgate has done. I think he was right to drop Rooney and by all accounts he is at his worst when under pressure on the ball, so despite Dier making some errors and Henderson being shit, it really wasn't the right game to have him playing in midfield. The way he also spoke about knowing that Hart plays his best when he is calm and they have spoken about that over the week I think shows brilliant man management. Hart gets himself too pumped up playing for England and I think that's when the mistakes happen.

Where he got it wrong last night was how lightweight we were in the front 3, knowing how Slovenia were going to play. Walcott isn't the right player for that, neither is Sturridge who always faffs about on the ball, and Lingard was trying his hardest but our play was quite disjointed. To me it would have more sense to go with Townsend (who always plays well for England), Vardy and Rashford. I think they'd have just been a bit more direct and aggressive.

The other thing to say is that we were missing players that I think would have made a difference.

Win, lose or draw the other thing is that we should have been blooding young teams like this for years in qualifiers, so although last night wasn't great this is the actual experience these players need to learn and improve from.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:57 pm

We were shit, Henderson and Dier both played fantastic through balls for Slovenia. Hart and the woodwork saved us. Walcott shouldn't be getting near an England shirt, neither should Henderson, and Sturridge is a greedy bastard. 'Nuff said.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:59 pm

Oh, and you were proved right that we'd struggle to score without Rooney on the pitch. Was great foresight. ;)

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:05 pm

We struggle with him too... :shrug:

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:25 pm

I only watched the first half, but was completely unimpressed by the number of sideways and backwards passes we made. On the rare occasion we got the ball in a dangerous position, the players looked devoid of the confidence to do anything with it.

So I watched Luke Cage instead.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:08 pm

mcteeth wrote:We struggle with him too... :shrug:
Scored two in the last game he started.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:09 pm

Gibbon wrote:I only watched the first half, but was completely unimpressed by the number of sideways and backwards passes we made.
That's why I don't like Henderson. His pass completion percentage is high, cause he makes easy passes backwards.