England Squad

Discuss all International football at senior and youth levels
Gibbon
Promising manager

Re: England Squad

Post by Gibbon » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:06 am

That's true I guess. So you're suggesting a more attacking midfield against weaker sides? Fair enough.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:16 am

Yep. We don't need someone to break up the play and protect the defence when we'll have the ball and they won't be attacking.

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:09 am

We've seen the opposite before with England though against weaker opponents. Too many attacking and creative players and they all want to score the spectacular goal, or insist on trying to walk to ball into the net rather than just playing as a team and outclassing the opposition.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:10 am

Reminds me of a former Rovers player :yeahright:

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:25 am

Ethiaa wrote:Reminds me of a former Rovers player :yeahright:
Yeah, Aaron Mokoena was a nightmare for that...

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:21 pm

mrblackbat wrote:Not if we're intending to play Jordan Henderson instead.

Which is what I really don't understand about the anti Rooney brigade. Is he playing his best football? No. Is he better than Henderson? Most certainly.

If we're going off time and frequency of goals, I'm assuming you think the likes of Kane and Sturridge need to be binned off as well, mcteeth?
I find it quite baffling that you think Rooney is a better central midfielder than Henderson, who actually played relatively well against Malta and is playing well for Liverpool (I'm not his biggest fan either way).

Southgate should be applauded for being the first manager in a while to pick a formation and now select the best players he has in those positions. Rooney isn't our best striker or best number 10, and hasn't been for a while, so he shouldn't be in the side until otherwise.

It's funny that actually I think Mourinho possibly has a level of responsibility in this. Our press worship him and he dropped Rooney and isn't lambasted for it like any England manager would be. I think it's made it an easier decision to make for Southgate.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:25 pm

mcteeth wrote:
mrblackbat wrote:Not if we're intending to play Jordan Henderson instead.

Which is what I really don't understand about the anti Rooney brigade. Is he playing his best football? No. Is he better than Henderson? Most certainly.

If we're going off time and frequency of goals, I'm assuming you think the likes of Kane and Sturridge need to be binned off as well, mcteeth?
I find it quite baffling that you think Rooney is a better central midfielder than Henderson, who actually played relatively well against Malta and is playing well for Liverpool (I'm not his biggest fan either way).

Southgate should be applauded for being the first manager in a while to pick a formation and now select the best players he has in those positions. Rooney isn't our best striker or best number 10, and hasn't been for a while, so he shouldn't be in the side until otherwise.

It's funny that actually I think Mourinho possibly has a level of responsibility in this. Our press worship him and he dropped Rooney and isn't lambasted for it like any England manager would be. I think it's made it an easier decision to make for Southgate.
Rooney is a better footballer than Jordan Henderson. Rooney is a better striker than he is a midfielder; but he is a better midfielder than Jordan Henderson. One reasonable performance against a piss poor minnow like Malta doesn't redeem the fact that Henderson is rubbish.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:14 pm

Rooney never has been or ever will be a quality midfielder, he doesn't have the right attributes. What do you base that on? And you must overlook reasonable performances against piss poor minnows... :lol:

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:36 pm

He's a better midfielder than Jordan Henderson. His passing is better, his vision is better, his work rate is better.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:39 pm

Can you give us more examples of when he has been better?

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:01 pm

I'm almost certain that Klopp doesn't read these threads, but if he did he may well die laughing.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:20 pm

Ethiaa wrote:Can you give us more examples of when he has been better?
If you believe opta stats (whoscored use them), against Malta:-

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/10054 ... land-Malta

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:23 pm

I thought we were ignoring piss poor opponents?

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:23 pm

Against anyone then.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:25 pm

Has Rooney actually played in midfield against anyone decent?