Promising manager

Re: England Squad

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:39 am

No Rooney, no win. ;)

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:32 pm

Two best performances in recent times, that really isn't saying much, have come against Germany and Spain and neither featured Rooney.

Biggest issue with Rooney is he often gets on the ball and slows the play down far too much, it happened throughout the Euros, and whenever he is put under any serious pressure he crumbles.

Last night we saw glimpses of attacking at pace, moving the ball quickly and showing some better technical ability under pressure. That is what we need to build on, not shoehorn the tabloid hero into midfield.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:49 pm

Best performance against Spain? How so, there's one important stat in football, and we didn't win.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:46 am

A good article on the subject...

Yes, against Spain, for 60 minutes we were very good and better than we've seen for a long while much like the game against Germany.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:47 am

It was certainly the first England performance I've enjoyed watching in quite some time.

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:25 am

mcteeth wrote:Two best performances in recent times, that really isn't saying much, have come against Germany and Spain and neither featured Rooney.

Biggest issue with Rooney is he often gets on the ball and slows the play down far too much, it happened throughout the Euros, and whenever he is put under any serious pressure he crumbles.

Last night we saw glimpses of attacking at pace, moving the ball quickly and showing some better technical ability under pressure. That is what we need to build on, not shoehorn the tabloid hero into midfield.
I agree with that. I'm all for picking a team rather than individuals, and at the moment England have a very young, pacey, skillful squad. The coaches and manager need to work with that and allow the team to attack at pace and play to their strengths.
Rooney is a talented player, but if isn't producing anything amazing and doesn't fit the playing style of the team, then there's no point him being there.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:42 am

I'm mostly just ribbing mcteeth. The last two times we didn't start Rooney, we didn't win. ;)

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:00 pm

Was probably out on the lash that time too, the world class all time hero that he is :hyper:

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:07 am

I'm not sure I understand what the fuss of him going out on the lash after a game, having been told he won't be playing in the next game, really is all about....

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:59 am

Me neither. You're not allowed go to weddings and have a drink now?

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:30 am

mrblackbat wrote:I'm not sure I understand what the fuss of him going out on the lash after a game, having been told he won't be playing in the next game, really is all about....
If he's still part of the squad then lineups can change. Fuss over nothing of course, but unless he was released from international duty I can see where an obligation to be ready for the game regardless comes in.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:17 pm

mrblackbat wrote:I'm not sure I understand what the fuss of him going out on the lash after a game, having been told he won't be playing in the next game, really is all about....
It has been blown out of proportion but he makes a fortune out of favourable media so he has to live with the bad too. Anyway given that he is the captain I don't think it was sensible to do what he did wearing an England training top, that is asking for trouble and is pretty stupid as well as setting a bad example when he should lead by example. And generally speaking in my eye it shows a lack of professionalism, he is struggling for form and fitness and the game is getting quicker and more athletic so given how much he earns it doesn't seem that drastic for him to stay off the booze for another couple of years before he retires.