England Squad

Discuss all International football at senior and youth levels
Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Re: England Squad

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:12 pm

theadore wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:23 pm

Not trying to lose, but bit trying to win either... Southgate was asked point blank that he would have brought Kane on if he was serious about winning.. he said "yeah, I suppose so".
I thought that was a particularly stupid question, he'd have started Kane and the rest of his first team if he was determined to win. But I doubt he'd have instructed someone to score an own goal if Rashford or Welbeck had equalised. It's a question of priorities. Winning the match wasn't as important as avoiding injuries and suspensions, for both sides. But I think it's a jump to say we weren't trying to win.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:49 pm

It clearly came off Alan Irvine. :shrug:

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:25 am

Rover the Top wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:01 pm
mrblackbat wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:45 pm

They use the exact same technique in cricket all the time, whereby you can't see the whole picture in a single video, but you can when you look at two. It's called correlation.
Yeah you should try it... :lol:

Your version defies basic physics. The ball cannot deflect forward coming from his left and striking only the right of his chest, it would bounce away to his right. It has to come off the inside of his right arm at the same time to cause that change in direction. From the side on angle you can't tell where the ball hit, you only know it hits something to change the trajectory so the ball bounces away. From the front you get the explanation for that change of trajectory. It's strange that you've highlighted all the pieces and then concluded that something physically impossible has happened whilst dismissing the reality as an optical illusion. :shrug: However...
His chest isn't entirely made at right angles....... We're not talking Nicky Reid square boots here.

I can angle my chest so that a ball coming at it bounces off in several angles quite easily.

There is one angle that categorically removes the possibility of it hitting his arm. Quoting Conan Doyle, when you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains is the truth. It hits the right side of his chest only because from the camera to the left, at the point of impact his arm is too far back to make any impact and from that moment on the ball only travels away from him. The view from the front is therefore an optocal illusion, no different from this lady holding up the moon.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:11 am

BLOODY HELL! How’s she doing that? :o

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:15 am

mrblackbat wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:25 am

His chest isn't entirely made at right angles....... We're not talking Nicky Reid square boots here.

I can angle my chest so that a ball coming at it bounces off in several angles quite easily.

There is one angle that categorically removes the possibility of it hitting his arm. Quoting Conan Doyle, when you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains is the truth. It hits the right side of his chest only because from the camera to the left, at the point of impact his arm is too far back to make any impact and from that moment on the ball only travels away from him. The view from the front is therefore an optocal illusion, no different from this lady holding up the moon.
Here's the view a couple of frames before contact - note the right arm with the wrist band is still visible.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoWIdsumHAmCl3HEPf4sybmBwrby

Here's the point of contact - the ball hits on the right side of his body/chest. You can't see from this angle if the ball hits the arm as the ball and the body now hide the view. But the only plausible explanation for the ball bouncing forwards is that it hit the arm (which we know is there from a split second before) as well as his side.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoWIdsumHAmCl3ItwpKKAq89xFnb

And here's the point of contact from the opposite angle - yes, a stupid person may then think the ball rolls over his arm as the video plays on, but you can see it's hit the right of his body and his arm simultaneously. Which is the only way the ball could hit that part of his body and still bounce forwards.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoWIdsumHAmCl3NbWn1pwl4SkC14

There you go, impossible eliminated using the actual incident rather than some irrelevant photo... ;)

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:17 am

I do wish the TV would stop prattling on about England having the "easy" side of the draw. It's by no means a given that we'll beat Colombia, never mind the other teams. And the "big" teams that have gone out haven't been as impressive in this competition as some of the sides we will have to face.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:08 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:15 am
mrblackbat wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:25 am

Here's the view a couple of frames before contact - note the right arm with the wrist band is still visible.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoWIdsumHAmCl3HEPf4sybmBwrby

Here's the point of contact - the ball hits on the right side of his body/chest. You can't see from this angle if the ball hits the arm as the ball and the body now hide the view. But the only plausible explanation for the ball bouncing forwards is that it hit the arm (which we know is there from a split second before) as well as his side.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoWIdsumHAmCl3ItwpKKAq89xFnb

And here's the point of contact from the opposite angle - yes, a stupid person may then think the ball rolls over his arm as the video plays on, but you can see it's hit the right of his body and his arm simultaneously. Which is the only way the ball could hit that part of his body and still bounce forwards.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoWIdsumHAmCl3NbWn1pwl4SkC14

There you go, impossible eliminated using the actual incident rather than some irrelevant photo... ;)
So as you say, before contact you can see his arm, at the point of contact his arm is no longer visible because it has gone backwards further behind his body.

Is the final picture definitely the point of contact; no timecode stamp to be sure? Impossible to tell, and so pixellated you can't really tell what's his body, the ball and what isn't.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:09 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:17 am
I do wish the TV would stop prattling on about England having the "easy" side of the draw. It's by no means a given that we'll beat Colombia, never mind the other teams. And the "big" teams that have gone out haven't been as impressive in this competition as some of the sides we will have to face.
Though if we can't get through to a final with this route, we can definitely count ourselves in the shit category.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:03 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:08 pm

Is the final picture definitely the point of contact; no timecode stamp to be sure? Impossible to tell, and so pixellated you can't really tell what's his body, the ball and what isn't.
More conclusive than some random woman pretending to hold the moon though... ;)

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:14 pm

But less cool and less amusing.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:45 am

PRETENDING? :o

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:08 pm

Gibbon wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:45 am
PRETENDING? :o
Don't believe them. If she is pretending then who the hell is holding it up?

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:58 pm

I just want to see an angle that shows she’s NOT holding it up.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:06 pm

Gibbon wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:58 pm
I just want to see an angle that shows she’s NOT holding it up.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:44 pm

:?