England V Estonia England V Russia

Discuss all International football at senior and youth levels
Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Re:

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:30 am

streakyb wrote:
Rob wrote:Agreed! I couldn't believe it when Lawrenson suggested pushing Barry back to cover Cole..
Has anyone ever made the mistake of thinking Lawro knows anything about football. Him and Motson know less about the game than the pen lid I have been chewing. Motson is purely a man who spouts stats and names all the players on the ball to prove how great he is, without actually telling us what is happening.
Who would the pen lid play at left back?

Ethiaa

Re:

Post by Ethiaa » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:34 am

Rover the Top wrote:
streakyb wrote: Platt has come out and said as much when he has said Barry needs to play for a top four club if he is to replace Lampard, irrelvant of how well Barry play for England and how poorly Lampard plays. And this comes from a man who has been part of the England U21 setup so is probably more aware than most on how selection policy is influenced. I think that there is a preception that you need to play champions league football to be a good international.
It also comes from a man who got a lucky break to get into the England team whilst playing for Villa, and managed to establish himself in the side despite not playing for one of the big clubs of the time.
Yeah, that's what I thought... What is Barry doing if not keeping Lampard out of the team?

streakyb
Valued squad member

Re:

Post by streakyb » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:35 am

Rover the Top wrote:Who would the pen lid play at left back?
Lescott or Shorey, I am trying to convince it that it should be Shorey but its still undecided.

Willy
Ageing international

Post by Willy » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:37 pm

Lampard and England is similar to Pedersen and Rovers. He's inconsistent and at times appears lazy and over-confident. The problem is, leaving him out could be a bad move because he always seems to come up with the goods. He's no different for England than he is for Chelsea.

Like Pedersen, he wastes chances and shoots from stupid places but when it comes down to it, Lampard is a matchwinner. I say that begrudgingly as well because I am not a huge Lampard fan. He seems like he's got more in him but he can't ever quite reach that potential. Thing is, Barry HAS played well but people have made a fuss because he's everything Lampard isn't. He is consistent, he always plays the ball to the right places and rarely makes a mistake. The problem is, Hargreaves or Carrick could easily do the same job as Barry.

I do think Barry deserves his place (just) but once Carrick and Hargreaves are back there's not much point leaving him in the team. We need flair players (not that Hargreaves or Carrick are) and not ones who are going to play the same \"defend our lead\" type of game. We need matchwinners....both Gerrard and Lampard are that and there MUST be a system where they can play together. Never seen Lampard play \"in the hole\" for England so that could be an option.

I agree that in previous experiments Gerrard and Lampard have looked stagnant but for fuck's sake they are PROFESSIONAL footballers, the management are professional and if they can't play in the same team effectively then we're pretty fucked. It's like the whole thing with one-footed players. Every player should be able to use both feet, it's ridiculous. We should go back to basics with England and swallow our pride. We are NOT a top 5 team in the world. We DON'T have the best team on paper. We are often outclassed and made to look silly and until we address the problems we won't win a thing.

As far as I'm concerned, a change of manager would be the only option if we're to move forward. We are being laughed at by other nations and if I wasn't English, I'd be pissing myself too. Pathetic bunch of overrated wankers. Get your fucking act together England, stop being so arrogant and living off past glories. I mean, fuck!!!...it reminds me of Newcastle, we have such \"great fans\" and are well-known...does that give us a divine right to success?...does it fuck!!

Okay...rant over. :doh: :doh:

Phil
Valued squad member

Post by Phil » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:39 pm

Worse one yet...

Paul Merson believes we should start Frank Lampard instead of Owen. Sounds like he has been on the booze again :wanker:

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Re:

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:04 pm

Phil wrote:Worse one yet...

Paul Merson believes we should start Frank Lampard instead of Owen. Sounds like he has been on the booze again :wanker:
:lol: I think the fact that an England manager has made some sensible decisions has caused a few problems for the pundits - obviously they can't agree with him, because then they'd risk being proved wrong. But it then leaves them offering daft suggestions as alternatives... :scratch:

Willy
Ageing international

Re:

Post by Willy » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:04 pm

Phil wrote:Worse one yet...

And play him where? Up front with Rooney or behind him? Both would be a bad idea. Lampard would only be effective playing behind an out-and-out striker which basically puts my "Lampard in the hole" theory out of the window because if Rooney's fit then he's gonna play.

It is a difficult one because it's hard to leave certain players out. I mean, bringing Lampard on for the last 20 mins against Estonia was pathetic. The match was already won and Lampard isn't the type of player who's gonna create much unless he's started the match. It was truly unfair to Bentley not to bring him on in that game, at least to have a proper look at him. He's only had 8 fucking minutes on the pitch for England...it's outrageous. :xxx:

Bentley is the in-form English player at the moment. Shaun Wright-Phillips is meant to be a winger but he can't fucking cross the ball. The whole thing with David Platt saying what he said was true. The way a player plays is irrelevent when it comes to selection. Wright-Phillips has been getting picked for squads even when he wasn't playing at Chelsea. If Bentley played for a top-4 club then he'd start every game...I'd put my house on that.

Anyway, back to Lampard...he has to play, I don't like him and he's a jumped-up twat but he could be the difference....sorry. :-(

Phil
Valued squad member

Post by Phil » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:18 pm

He wanted 4-5-1 with Rooney up front on his own and 5 across the midfield. His reasoning was that if we go 1-0 down, we have a goalscorer to bring on as a sub :roll:

Rover the Moon
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Rover the Moon » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:58 pm

Shite-Phillis plays yet no place on the bench for Bentley :roll:

At least he'll be fit for saturday

England:
Robinson, Richards, Ferdinand, Campbell, Lescott, Wright-Phillips, Gerrard, Barry, Cole, Rooney, Owen.

Subs:
James, Shorey, Luke Young, Lampard, Neville, Downing, Crouch.

Rover the Moon
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Rover the Moon » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:00 pm

Oh yes and out of all the english players to chose from he plays a centre back at left back. what a cunt :roll:

Rover the Moon
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Rover the Moon » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:59 pm

Rooney!!! About time the little shit scored a real goal

Phil
Valued squad member

Post by Phil » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:02 pm

8-)

Rover the Moon
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Rover the Moon » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:33 pm

BLLLEEEEPPP ROONEY!!!!! :doh:

England shite :roll:

Phil
Valued squad member

Post by Phil » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:54 pm

Was outside the box :xxx: McClaren out

watty
Promising youngster

Re:

Post by watty » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:29 pm

Phil wrote:Was outside the box :xxx: McClaren out

What because the foul was outside the box and the referee gave a penalty, it was McClarens Fault and you want him out??? :doh: