England v Croatia

Discuss all International football at senior and youth levels
streakyb
Valued squad member
Posts: 411
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:30 am

Re:

Post by streakyb » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:53 am

Rover the Top wrote:I think Mark Hughes would be an excellent choice. :shock:
Although I doubt he would want it. He has done his International managment and now wants club success. Perhaps in a few more years but not at the moment.

User avatar
Dan
Unemployed ex-pro
Posts: 6859
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:08 am
Contact:

Post by Dan » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:02 am

It's official, McClaren and Venables have bee sacked by the FA

DunnFC
Regular international
Posts: 979
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:29 am

Post by DunnFC » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:13 pm

Woodgate would have been a better optiton than campbell? Why play Lumpard and Gerrard together in such an important game when we know that they cant play well together? Why play a target man with two wingers who cant cross? Ive always said Beckham to start. The players/manager and Barwick let us down and why did the England fans boo Kranjcar when he came off just because he scored? We have noone apart from Michael Johnson and Richards coming through, even though we could argue Bentley but he will never be picked! The future for England looks bleak and before soon we will turn into RIreland or worse Scotland.

Capello hopefully will be our new manger, i couldnt give 2 shits if the new guy is foreign.

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 27165
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re:

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:25 pm

DunnFC wrote:We have noone apart from Michael Johnson and Richards coming through, even though we could argue Bentley but he will never be picked!
:-? Walcott, Agbonlahor, Huddlestone, Derbyshire, Lita, Baines, A.Young, Hoyte, S.Taylor... just a handful of talented young players who've played for the U21s over the past year.

User avatar
Phil
Valued squad member
Posts: 684
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:15 am
Location: Preston

Post by Phil » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:47 pm

Milner is half decent on his day.

As for manager, Capello says he wants the job and that bastard Barwick turned him down last time but should be thankful someone of his quality wants anything to do with us. He should be our next manager.

DunnFC
Regular international
Posts: 979
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:29 am

Re:

Post by DunnFC » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:48 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
DunnFC wrote:We have noone apart from Michael Johnson and Richards coming through, even though we could argue Bentley but he will never be picked!
:-? Walcott, Agbonlahor, Huddlestone, Derbyshire, Lita, Baines, A.Young, Hoyte, S.Taylor... just a handful of talented young players who've played for the U21s over the past year.
Huddlesstone is never going to be a gerrard
walcott il give you that
agbonlahor possably
lita - never will make it
young - possably
baines - nope not as good as ashley cole
hoyte - never going to be gary neville
taylor - will never be a terry.

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 27165
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re:

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:53 pm

DunnFC wrote: Huddlesstone is never going to be a gerrard
walcott il give you that
agbonlahor possably
lita - never will make it
young - possably
baines - nope not as good as ashley cole
hoyte - never going to be gary neville
taylor - will never be a terry.
Comparisons to those flops (at international level) aren't going to dissuade me.

The one thing we are lacking is a Le Tissier, a player who's technically brilliant and can beat teams on his own, yet will forever be overlooked by England... :scratch: Oh, and a goalie... ;)

User avatar
Joe
Ageing international
Posts: 3579
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:04 pm

Post by Joe » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:01 pm

Ashley Cole, John Terry, Joe Cole, Jermain Defoe (who I still think will be a top top striker once he gets a chance somewhere) and Steven Gerrard are all 25/26. Which isn't exactly old. They are going to be around for at least 5 or 6 more years.

Add them to Rooney, Richards, Johnson, Shorey, Bentley ect. So I don't see how the England squad in the near future is going to be much worse than it is now.....

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 27165
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:06 pm

Exactly. Players can be in contention for an England place for ten years or so, there's plenty of talent to draw from. Providing we appoint a manager who's prepared to pick a team to win ahead of selecting famous celebrities.

User avatar
Phil
Valued squad member
Posts: 684
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:15 am
Location: Preston

Post by Phil » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:14 pm

Players that are still young enough for the start of the 2010 world cup:

Foster
Green
Richards
Terry
Ferdinand (at a push)
Ashley Cole
Lennon
Bentley
Joe Cole
Gerrard
Hargreaves
Ashley Young
Rooney
Walcott
Crouch
Defoe
Bent
Owen, just.
:-?

streakyb
Valued squad member
Posts: 411
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:30 am

Re:

Post by streakyb » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:24 pm

DunnFC wrote:Huddlesstone is never going to be a gerrard
walcott il give you that
agbonlahor possably
lita - never will make it
young - possably
baines - nope not as good as ashley cole
hoyte - never going to be gary neville
taylor - will never be a terry.
You may think that but they could end up being like Croatian players and actually achieve something.

Lets trample all these young talents into the dirt before they even have a chance :roll:

User avatar
Joe
Ageing international
Posts: 3579
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:04 pm

Re:

Post by Joe » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:30 pm

Phil wrote:Players that are still young enough for the start of the 2010 world cup:

Foster
Green
Richards
Terry
Ferdinand (at a push)
Ashley Cole
Lennon
Bentley
Joe Cole
Gerrard
Hargreaves
Ashley Young
Rooney
Walcott
Crouch
Defoe
Bent
Owen, just.
:-?
Plus I'm sure there's a bunch of unknown teenagers, from 15-19, who will make a name for themselves over the next 3 years.

Also I think everyone is forgetting Ledley King who when he's fit I think is Englands 3rd best centre back at the moment.

streakyb
Valued squad member
Posts: 411
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:30 am

Re:

Post by streakyb » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:36 pm

Joe wrote:Also I think everyone is forgetting Ledley King who when he's fit I think is Englands 3rd best centre back at the moment.
Ahh fitness. So you had better rule Owen and Rooney and probably King from the list of 2010 players as they will are bound to be injured. Terry probably will be as well as will A. Cole and possibly Lennon. These are allplayers are are injury prone and getting more injuries so given a couple more years just think how bad it could be ;) ;)

User avatar
Phil
Valued squad member
Posts: 684
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:15 am
Location: Preston

Post by Phil » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:07 pm

So which players are likely to be too old by the time the 2010 finals start?
James, Beckham, Lampard, Campbell, Neville, who else?

User avatar
Joe
Ageing international
Posts: 3579
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:04 pm

Re:

Post by Joe » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:10 pm

Phil wrote:So which players are likely to be too old by the time the 2010 finals start?
James, Beckham, Lampard, Campbell, Neville, who else?
I think it's unlikely that Owen at 31 will be fit enough to be as effective as he has been in the past. You generally get more injury prone with age, and he's already one of the most injury prone players around.

Post Reply