Next England Manager - Fabio Capello

Discuss all International football at senior and youth levels
Joe
Ageing international

Next England Manager - Fabio Capello

Post by Joe » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:18 pm

So Mclaren has finally been relieved of his post, after guaranteeing we won;t be going to Euro 2008.

Who will be the next manager then? I think we need someone who charismatic, passionate, brave and tactically adept. So for me the obvious choice is Jose.

So the next qustion is can we get him? From the bbc:
A close friend of the Portuguese told the BBC: \"Jose is very sorry for the result and for what happened to Steve, a coach he always respected.

\"For him, the absence of England is very bad for Euro 2008, and he is also unhappy for the absence of such good players. No more comment.\"
If he had no interest in the job you'd think the last words would be \"he will not be the next england manager\" as opposed to \"no comment\". I'm being very speculative here, I know.

If We can't get Mourinho then I'm not sure who. I like O'Neil, but think there are better managers out there.

There are no good enough English managers around at the moment, although out of all of them I think Rednapp would be the best suited. But he should only be an option for those that don't want to go foreign, which isn't me.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:45 pm

Mourinho would be Sven mk II. Get results by boring the shit out of everyone, but ultimately disappoint by crashing out in the Quarter Finals when playing the percentages finally catches up with him. International management requires a different approach to club management, it's not about winning the majority of your games, the focus is on winning the key games. And I don't think he's got the temperament to put up with the media.

If I wasn't a Rovers fan, I'd seriously consider Mark Hughes. He's got a far greater understanding of how to use players than your average manager, it's not a coincidence that the vast majority of his signings prove great value for money. I'm sure with the England squad, he'd have no problem in assembling an excellent group of players to work in a number of situations. And he wouldn't aim for the result we needed, he'd always aim to win comfortably.

However, I don't want him to get the job. ;) And I'd still prefer an English manager - it's the England team, we can only pick English players (or a Canadian with an English father), and I think the same should apply to the manager, even though it isn't an official rule.

So, looking at the options: Harry Redknapp is doing well at Portsmouth now he's able to bring in better quality players. To be fair, he's always had a good eye for spotting players, and he simply slots them in and out of his team as required. However, I think he'd come unstuck at international level. You need to be able to balance fitting players into your system with selecting the best talent available, and I don't think you could succeed simply by picking 6'5\" bruisers and the odd flair player for England. I think we'd need more tactical dexterity. Another candidate is Stuart Pearce, who has surprised me with the U21s. I thought he was rubbish at Man City, but as I said above, international football is about getting the big performances when they're needed, and I think that may be what he can do well.

But my two choices are Steve Coppell and Paul Jewell. Both have achieved more than was expected with what they've had to work with. Both aim to play attractive football, which I think is important. I think Coppell has the edge on tactical nous. And both have faith in their own decisions.

streakyb
Valued squad member

Post by streakyb » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:49 pm

My dog is avaliable, he is young and very eager.

rover-the-rainbow
Valued squad member

Post by rover-the-rainbow » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:51 pm

Neil Warnock he's English and he would add a bit of action and passion on the touchline + he'd kick arse if the players did'nt perform :whistle: - Lights Blue touch paper and stands back :-)

Phil
Valued squad member

Post by Phil » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:56 pm

Capello, Lippi or Mourinho. I can't see us waiting till the summer to see what the euro 08 casualties are.

doz_magic_man
Valued squad member

Post by doz_magic_man » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:45 pm

I don't see why Mourihno is a front-runner. He ruled out returning to England any time soon let alone taking over as England international manager as soon as he left Chelsea didn't he? He also stated that he would find it hard to coach another side against Portugal. If I was a betting man, I wouldn't bet on him and that's regardless of his short odds.

I personally would hire a coach with a proven international track record, something the FA haven't done before. Successful club managers and coaches are always risky because they are untried at international level. Appointing McClaren as a last resort was a mistake and England should wait for the right man this time if he doesn't turn up immediately.

Hiddink would be a good shout, he has a good international record, speaks good English and knows the English game well. However, I can't see him leaving the Russian post with Roman Abramovich's billionaire breath down his neck and having just qualified for next summer's championships.

Joe
Ageing international

Re:

Post by Joe » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:36 pm

Rover the Top wrote:International management requires a different approach to club management, it's not about winning the majority of your games, the focus is on winning the key games. And I don't think he's got the temperament to put up with the media.
International management is about tactics and man management. Mourinho has those skills in abundance.

DunnFC
Regular international

Post by DunnFC » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:04 pm

For me Capello as manager with Shearer as his assistant.

Willy
Ageing international

Post by Willy » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:09 pm

Mourinho all the way. If not, Capello or Lippi. It HAS to be a proven motivator and winner which in my opinion, O' Neill isn't. Sure, he's won a few Mickey Mouse trophies in Scotland and he does seem to be a good man-manager but I'd be really disappointed if he was the best we could get.

Phil
Valued squad member

Re:

Post by Phil » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:31 pm

DunnFC wrote:For me Capello as manager with Shearer as his assistant.
What qualities has Shearer got as an assistant?

Joe
Ageing international

Re:

Post by Joe » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:34 pm

Willy wrote:Mourinho all the way. If not, Capello or Lippi. It HAS to be a proven motivator and winner which in my opinion, O' Neill isn't. Sure, he's won a few Mickey Mouse trophies in Scotland and he does seem to be a good man-manager but I'd be really disappointed if he was the best we could get.
The bbc are reporting that Mourinho has ruled himself out of the running. Bu reading their article it seems they are basing that headline on the ideas of Jonathon Legard, and nothing concrete. It just seems to repeat the assumpions we already had that Jose wants a club job, and would only manage Portugal.

Willy
Ageing international

Re:

Post by Willy » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:12 pm

Joe wrote:
Willy wrote:Mourinho all the way. If not, Capello or Lippi. It HAS to be a proven motivator and winner which in my opinion, O' Neill isn't. Sure, he's won a few Mickey Mouse trophies in Scotland and he does seem to be a good man-manager but I'd be really disappointed if he was the best we could get.
The bbc are reporting that Mourinho has ruled himself out of the running. Bu reading their article it seems they are basing that headline on the ideas of Jonathon Legard, and nothing concrete. It just seems to repeat the assumpions we already had that Jose wants a club job, and would only manage Portugal.
I'm sure if the FA dig deep enough into those pockets we can tempt José into managing us. ;) It's strange but I think José would bring such a sense of pride and togetherness back to the national game and he's not even English.

If you look at what he did with Chelsea, he gained the respect of all his staff and players with his charm, self-esteem and confidence and let's face it, no matter how much anyone hates Chelsea, we all loved Mourinho...there's something very "English" about him in a way.

Like you said Joe, a proven track record in international football is not really an issue. The guy has the perfect skills required to be England manager. He knows he'd be loved by the public and media alike...something that no other England manager has really had since a brief spell when Venables was manager. He knows just how to deal with the media too, another thing that England managers of the past have been woeful at.

Mourinho isn't just a tactician and a motivator, he's a very intelligent man when it comes to psychology...look at the Barcelona game a couple of years back. He whined and moaned about this and that, but it wasn't real...he was winding people up, and it worked. Rijkaard was outsmarted and out-thought by Mourinho, as were most of the managers he came up against.

The more I think about it, the more I can't really see myself being pleased with anyone else but him.

Phil
Valued squad member

Post by Phil » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:24 pm

Whats 9 inches long and dangles in front of a cunt?

Steve Mclarens tie.

DunnFC
Regular international

Re:

Post by DunnFC » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:25 pm

Phil wrote:
People said that when Ally Mccoist was at Scotland, the fact that hed been there and done it before and worked with the strikers saw scotland improve in certain areas.

Joe
Ageing international

Re:

Post by Joe » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:47 pm

DunnFC wrote:
Phil wrote:
People said that when Ally Mccoist was at Scotland, the fact that hed been there and done it before and worked with the strikers saw scotland improve in certain areas.
England aren't Scotland.