Re: Next England Manager - Fabio Capello

Post by nathanolder » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:56 am

Id say only 2 strikers in Heskey and Defoe

Willy
Ageing international

Post by Willy » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:52 am

They're debating England 'keepers on 606 this morning. Some fool said this:

"I agree with giftedandlazy - I reckon Almunia should get a chance with England if he should become eligible when he gets a UK passport in a few months time."

Probably an Arsenal fan. :roll:

If we even considered Almunia, a decent (at best) SPANISH goalkeeper, then it really would be the end of me watching England. We do have a problem in that area, sure, but to even consider a fucking Spaniard as shite as Almunia is offensive to me. Cudicini's even been mentioned, and while I rate him very highly, he should also be completely disregarded. It would be a real shame if we appointed a non-English goalkeeper in our national team.

Thankfully, FOR ONCE, I think the coaching staff and F.A would be correct and totally overlook it. This time, it's mindless fans who are in need of brain transplants. :numpty; :dunce:

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:22 am

Don't see the problem if he's up to the job. I had no problem with Pietersen captaining the cricket team either. If they're good enough, eligible and willing then they have to be considered regardless of where they were born.

Willy
Ageing international

Post by Willy » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:23 am

As far as the new England captain's concerned, it looks like it's between Terry and Ferdinand. As good as Terry is and as many leadership qualities as he has, he's still a prick and he shows little respect to others and to match officials. Ferdinand on the other hand has shown more maturity in recent times and probably deserves it ahead of Terry, in my opinion.

But if I was Capello, I'd give it to Gerrard. Terry and Ferdinand are consistently pretty good for England, whereas Gerrard isn't. I feel that Gerrard would probably pull his socks up a bit and recreate the form he has at club level into the international game. He's the main man at Liverpool and I think it suits him to be just that. Although it's a team game, Gerrard peforms better when the play is focused around him and I reckon he benefits from being a capo. Give him the England armband and I think we'd see a different Gerrard. He's the best English midfielder by a square mile and it's a shame he doesn't show it often for us.

Looking at reports though, it looks as if it's gonna be Ferdinand. I'll be happy enough with that. I think the role of captain is underrated. People seem to think it's pointless but it's fucking important to have a leader out there. Gerrard is certainly one of those and Ferdinand isn't far behind.
Last edited by Willy on Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Willy
Ageing international

Post by Willy » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:25 am

Gibbon wrote:Don't see the problem if he's up to the job. I had no problem with Pietersen captaining the cricket team either. If they're good enough, eligible and willing then they have to be considered regardless of where they were born.
The point is, aren't James, Carson, Robinson and Hart up to the job as much or more than Almunia?

I think so.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:27 am

Willy wrote:
Gibbon wrote:Don't see the problem if he's up to the job. I had no problem with Pietersen captaining the cricket team either. If they're good enough, eligible and willing then they have to be considered regardless of where they were born.
The point is, aren't James, Carson, Robinson and Hart up to the job as much or more than Almunia?

I think so.
James is certainly, but for how much longer? And I'd group the other three in with Almunia in terms of ability...so which ever one of them comes out on top really.

Willy
Ageing international

Post by Willy » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:36 am

Maybe it's just me then. I really don't think Almunia is anywhere near as good a shot-stopper as Robinson. Robbo may have looked dodgy for a while and I've admittedly given him some shit in the past, but he was quality at Leeds and looked great at Spurs for a while.

If Chris Kirkland could keep himself fit, he'd be my first choice over any of them. On his day, he's the best English 'keeper of the last 10yrs or so. And I include Seaman in that, too.*

* did you taste it? Salty, huh?

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:57 am

Willy
Ageing international

Post by Willy » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:34 pm

Or not coincidentally as that's why I brought it up in the first place. The 606 link was within the Shilton piece. ;)

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:36 pm

And I was meant to know that how? :scratch:
Last edited by Gibbon on Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Willy
Ageing international

Post by Willy » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:37 pm

Gibbon wrote:Coincidentally Peter Shilton looks at goalkeeping candidates on t'bbc.
Check out the main picture - Carson gets scared by James' massive dong. :shock:

Willy
Ageing international

Post by Willy » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:33 pm

John Terry is the new England captain. TERRYFIC!!

:oops: