Next England Manager - Fabio Capello

Discuss all International football at senior and youth levels
Willy
Ageing international

Re: Next England Manager - Fabio Capello

Post by Willy » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:51 am

If someone puts in 15 or so crosses in a game and gets 3 wrong, so what?

Bentley creates space for himself that no one else would find, therefore giving him the opportunity to cross. What do these journos want? SWP bombing past 3 players with no end product? Bentley is by far the best crosser in the country and I agree with RTT, the fans who started singing, "there's only one David Beckham" made me really angry. It just showed how fickle and under-educated our fans are. It made me ashamed to be classed as an "England fan".

Bentley, according to the Opta stats, has put in more crosses than anyone in the league this year....something like 280.
I was supporting Bentley more than England last night to be honest. I think that was the case with most of us here.

To be honest, I thought the commentators were a bit harsh on Jenas saying he had a bit of a dodgy first half. I thought he looked okay, give him time to settle and I think he could be a good player for us. He's not my favourite player by a long way but I did think there were some positives to his performance last night.

Hudson
Regular international

Post by Hudson » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:55 pm

Completely agree that Wes Brown was easily the shittest player on the pitch last night. Hopefully Capello will see sense and bring back Micah Richards. Every time Brown had the ball, he was trying to pass it to Bentley, who had 2 or 3 players marking him. Bentley did have a good game, and could have got a couple of assists atleast if Rooney and Crouch would have tucked away their chances. Gerrard was anonymous for most of the game, but when he did get the ball seemed to give it away every time. Barry was also non existant for most of the game (didn't even realise he came out for the second half until they subbed him!). Ithink it would have been better to have played 442, with Rooney and Crouch upfront. With Cole (Joe) and Bentley supplying the crosses, a flick on from Shrek or Crouch would create no end of chances.

I also thought Jenas and Upson had decent games, SWP did ok (the goal) but still thinks he can take on 3 players instead of making the easy pass.

iamarover
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by iamarover » Mon May 12, 2008 9:13 am

Capello has selected Bentley, Warnock and potential target Huddlestone in his 31-man provisional England squad

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon May 12, 2008 9:22 am

'Potential target'? Surely 29 of the players there are potential targets? :lol:

Good to see Joe Hart get called up, not playing yesterday showed how good he is... ;)

Well done to Bentley and Warnock in getting their call ups, lets hope Capello takes things one step further and picks them both to play.

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Sun May 25, 2008 12:55 pm

It looks like Capello isn't afraid to look otside the Premiership for his players
England coach Fabio Capello has brought Peterborough goalkeeper Joe Lewis into his squad after Chris Kirkland returned to Wigan due to a back injury.

Phil
Valued squad member

Post by Phil » Sun May 25, 2008 3:16 pm

Rob Green must have ran over his dog or something.

roversSam
New signing

Post by roversSam » Sun May 25, 2008 5:57 pm

I was shocked by this, but it does show that Capello is willing to find the best person for each position as shown also by the recent call up of Stephen Warnock.
Peterborough are my second team as they are my local club and I have been to see them occasionally this year when I haven't been working and I can say Joe Lewis is an amazing player, although he still can improve. Peterborough have the financial backing to go far and I think they will and Lewis was signed by Darren Ferguson for when they did play better opposition and therefore he will develop in the lower leagues.
Lewis also ousted Peterborough's long term keeper Mark Tyler and that is no mean feat as Tyler himself is an amazing keeper and has frequently been linked with bigger teams.

I like the fact that he has been given this chance and hopefully he will play and show the country that he is a good keeper, as people like Rob Green in my opinion are too inconsistent.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Thu May 29, 2008 8:21 am

A few 'surprises' last night - Rooney plays better when played just behind another striker! England as a team play much better without Lampard and Beckham watching the game from the halfway line! Gareth Barry should be an automatic starter on current form!

I thought the last half hour was good, the midfield started to work once Bentley and Barry were on, and really, the score should have been more.

The first hour was shit, with Lampard doing feck all, and it's a shame the first goal was from a Beckham free-kick, because that's going to extend his stay in the side. I don't think we can afford to give a shirt to someone who just takes set pieces and offers nothing else - it won't help when we're up against better sides.

And that Michael Bradley guy we've been tracking looked terrible.

Head Rover Heels
Valued squad member

Post by Head Rover Heels » Thu May 29, 2008 10:11 am

Rover the Top wrote:A few 'surprises' last night - Rooney plays better when played just behind another striker! England as a team play much better without Lampard and Beckham watching the game from the halfway line! Gareth Barry should be an automatic starter on current form!
Was an absolute shocker wasn't it. It's a good job we pay these people millions to look into all this as none of us could have predicted any of that.

Totally agree, even with the distraction of substitutions etc, it was clear that providing Gerrard with cover in the form of Barry, and a (sub standard but mobile) right winger created all sorts of opportunities. And yes, Rooney desperately needes someone, anyone, in front of him to be effective.

Bradley looked shit. For someone who is supposed to be trying to impress scouts over here, that was a big chance for him. Oh well.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Thu May 29, 2008 10:44 am

All it made clear to me is that Bentley, Cole, Johnson, Owen, and Barry, must start ahead of Beckham, Lampard, Brown, Defoe and Hargreaves.

To be fair, Hargreaves did little wrong, I just think Barry does everything he can AND provides much needed creativity.
And I'd STILL include Beckham in the squad. He must be great to have around the training pitch at the very least...and he can still do a job if needed.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Thu May 29, 2008 10:51 am

Beckham would be handy to have on the bench if you're struggling to break a defence down - you could throw him on for the last 10-15 minutes and try to nick a goal from a set-piece. I didn't think Hargreaves played badly, I just don't think he offers enough. As Blackbat said, Carrick gets picked for United ahead of him... And Defoe, to be fair, is in the same situation as Bentley - both have to produce something in a limited time to force their way into the reckoning. Defoe snatched at a few good chances, it was good that he got in those positions, but I think he blew them through trying too hard.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Thu May 29, 2008 10:58 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 425208.stm

Brown, Cole, Cole, Hargreaves, Lampard, Rooney and Terry aren't going to Trinidad.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Thu May 29, 2008 12:16 pm

Phil
Valued squad member

Post by Phil » Thu May 29, 2008 3:09 pm

Gibbon wrote:All it made clear to me is that Bentley, Cole, Johnson, Owen, and Barry, must start ahead of Beckham, Lampard, Brown, Defoe and Hargreaves.

To be fair, Hargreaves did little wrong, I just think Barry does everything he can AND provides much needed creativity.
And I'd STILL include Beckham in the squad. He must be great to have around the training pitch at the very least...and he can still do a job if needed.
Hargreaves is a defensive midfielder, but can excell on a wing too as he has shown for us. Put Barry in the DM position against a decent team and we'll get raped, he is good attacking but unless there is someone holding he is in trouble. Carrick only gets picked ahead of Hargreaves when we are playing someone shite. Against a top team Hargreaves is first name on the teamsheet for us.

I was interested in what people on here would think of Bentley last night. On the forum I post on, everyone said last night he did nothing. Ok, so Beckham didnt do a lot, but he created two set pieces that were real goalscoring opportunities. Bentley chopped two people down within minutes, failed to get a good cross in all night and even his set pieces failed. Last night Beckham cemented his place in the starting XI further.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Thu May 29, 2008 3:12 pm

yawn