England v France

Discuss all International football at senior and youth levels
Phil
Valued squad member

Re: England v France

Post by Phil » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:05 pm

She got plenty out of it ;) I think Ferdinand is ideal for captain; he has been Englands best defender for 5 years or so, has only 3 international bookings and doesn't harass referees or chop people in half like Terry. 65 caps and 3 world cups show his experience. He'll probably be United's captain next season, too as he has been fantastic for the past few years in our defence.

Willy
Ageing international

Post by Willy » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:09 pm

It's a half-decent choice. Personally, I would have gone for Gerrard and kept the capo as Gerrard. Capello WILL get Gerrard playing close to how he plays for Liverpool soon enough....we hope.

Phil
Valued squad member

Post by Phil » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:58 pm

Well Capello is rotating the captaincy to assess the potential captains and Gerrard had it last game.

Joe
Ageing international

Post by Joe » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:46 pm

Willy wrote:Better than Terry, I suppose. Less aggressive and a bit more humble. Except for when he kicked the ball at the lady's head, of course. ;)
I think he's an absolute Donkey.

If Gerrard doesn't become captain something's wrong.

Willy
Ageing international

Post by Willy » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:49 pm

Joe wrote:
Willy wrote:Better than Terry, I suppose. Less aggressive and a bit more humble. Except for when he kicked the ball at the lady's head, of course. ;)

I think he's shit too but I was trying to be nice to Phil. Do I get banned for not following the rules now?

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:19 pm

Willy wrote:
Joe wrote:

I think he's shit too but I was trying to be nice to Phil. Do I get banned for not following the rules now?

Well i could give you an official warning if you like? ;) :twisted:

Wilky
New signing

Post by Wilky » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:52 pm

i wouldnt even give becks his 100th cap... hes only use is free kicks an the odd corner.. (average winger then)

the amount of times bents has nearly broke the crossbar with a 30 yard pile driver is unreal..
bentley is a far better crosser and doest have his 'image' flashin thru his mind.. hopefully bently wil start, if not at least 60 mins

Joe
Ageing international

Post by Joe » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:30 pm

Wilky wrote:i wouldnt even give becks his 100th cap... hes only use is free kicks an the odd corner.. (average winger then)

the amount of times bents has nearly broke the crossbar with a 30 yard pile driver is unreal..
bentley is a far better crosser and doest have his 'image' flashin thru his mind.. hopefully bently wil start, if not at least 60 mins
What's the point in nearly breaking the cross bar?

I don't see why Beckham is attracting all this criticism on here. Nobody can doubt he wasn't a class act, and nobody know's whether or not he still is. Or have you all been watching him in the USA? I can't remember the last time he played badly for England anyway.

Don't get me wrong I think Bentely has proven himself to be a better option now, but I think if Beckham is fit he definetly has a part to play in the England squad.

Phil
Valued squad member

Post by Phil » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:50 pm

I dont see why Rio is getting abuse. He is a world class defender, has performed at the top level many times without error, has 65 caps and only 3 bookings for England, doesnt crowd referees, isn't in the papers for messing with some teenage girl, doesnt chop players in half, doesnt go missing in big games and has been to 3 world cups 8) Even the two chelsea fans I know say Ferdinand is the best defender in the league.

Joe
Ageing international

Post by Joe » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:35 pm

Phil wrote:I dont see why Rio is getting abuse. He is a world class defender, has performed at the top level many times without error, has 65 caps and only 3 bookings for England, doesnt crowd referees, isn't in the papers for messing with some teenage girl, doesnt chop players in half, doesnt go missing in big games and has been to 3 world cups 8) Even the two chelsea fans I know say Ferdinand is the best defender in the league.
Just by being a good player and not being involved in controversy (which is debatable considering his 9 month ban a few years ago), doesn't mean he'd make a good captain. Being a role model is only part of what a captain should be.

They also need to be a good communicator and leader, get on well with the coaching staff, be able to transmit the managers ideas onto the pitch, motivate players ect....

I just don't think Rio strikes me as much of a leader. He seems a bit gormless to tell you the truth (again refer to his forgetfulness regarding drug tests) .

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:31 am

The best thing that ll hopefully come of this will be that it might be a wake up call to John Terry and Gerrard who seem to think they both have god given rights to the role.

And why the hell does me hitting the apostrophe key now pull up the quick find bar in firefox? Has the world gone MAD... :numpty;

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:44 am

You don't change a game just on based on being a captain
Or by speaking English it would seem. At least he wants the England team to be a Thweat in the future.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:04 am

Gibbon wrote: And why the hell does me hitting the apostrophe key now pull up the quick find bar in firefox? Has the world gone MAD... :numpty;
Two of the girls here logged on to their computers yesterday morning to find that their profiles had been reset. Some of it is down to them using the same username, but now I'm getting the hassle of having to recover emails from the ether and what not. Very pissed off that I'm learning stuff as I go and getting looks of disbelief when I say I don't know how to do something, or if I don't think something is possible.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:08 am

thats bizarrely like my day.

IT have reset the viewer of choice for TIF files firm wide... and now our whole team can't open new work instructions. So I have to manually wait until one receives a TIF file... before going over and performing Open With > Check box for 'always use for this file type' etc. because a) our IT have a funny concept of 'respond to all calls within an hour' and b) our office is staffed by computer illiterate numpties who refuse to learn even simple windows tasks.

:doh:

Willy
Ageing international

Post by Willy » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:23 am

theadore wrote:thats bizarrely like my day.

IT have reset the viewer of choice for TIF files firm wide... and now our whole team can't open new work instructions. So I have to manually wait until one receives a TIF file... before going over and performing Open With > Check box for 'always use for this file type' etc. because a) our IT have a funny concept of 'respond to all calls within an hour' and b) our office is staffed by computer illiterate numpties who refuse to learn even simple windows tasks.

:doh:
It seems that features as standard throughout every office nationwide, especially housing associations. The amount of times I am asked to fix someone's PC is ridiculous, then I'm getting a bollocking for not doing my ACTUAL job. Simple shit like, "Will, can you just show Claire how to save a document to her desktop?"..."Yeah, sure...no probs"....I'm too bloody soft and they know it. I wish I hadn't put, "I have 60 credits towards my IT degree"...which is nothing really but it's more than most of these tossers have so I get roped into every IT problem.