Tennis

There must be more to life than football?
Post Reply
User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14327
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Tennis

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:02 pm

After winning on the masters tour, he's just been knocked out in the first round of the Olympics 7-6, 6-4.

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 26836
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Andy Murray

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:07 pm

Might not be such a bad thing. The US Open is in a couple of weeks, he'll probably be better prepared for it by not charging around all week in the smog. Although he is playing in the doubles with his brother.

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14327
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Andy Murray

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:10 pm

His opponent was playing a blinder as well; though Murray also lost three break points which would have led to him serving for the second set.

User avatar
Joe
Ageing international
Posts: 3561
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:04 pm

Re: Andy Murray

Post by Joe » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:11 pm

mrblackbat wrote:His opponent was playing a blinder as well; though Murray also lost three break points which would have led to him serving for the second set.
Murray is about the most boring player to watch there is.

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14327
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Andy Murray

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:13 pm

Nah.

User avatar
Joe
Ageing international
Posts: 3561
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:04 pm

Re: Andy Murray

Post by Joe » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:18 pm

Well if you enjoy watching boring tennis being played by an uncharismatic, grumpy spoilt sport Scot...

I'd prefer to watch Djokovic, Fed or Nadal anyday.

Willy
Ageing international
Posts: 3255
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:11 pm
Location: Brun Lea

Re: Andy Murray

Post by Willy » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:18 pm

Agreed.

Just another 'great white hope' for Britain. Tim Henman II. Broccoli flavoured cup-a-soup and SmartPrice bread.

Can Britain produce a kid who actually looks like he could win something? The kid is a waif. Look at the top tennis players of the last 10 years - they're all bred for the game, whereas Henman and Murray are just posh kids with bad genes. Disgusting.

User avatar
Joe
Ageing international
Posts: 3561
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:04 pm

Re: Andy Murray

Post by Joe » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:20 pm

Willy wrote:Agreed.

Just another 'great white hope' for Britain. Tim Henman II. Broccoli flavoured cup-a-soup and SmartPrice bread.

Can Britain produce a kid who actually looks like he could win something? The kid is a waif. Look at the top tennis players of the last 10 years - they're all bred for the game, whereas Henman and Murray are just posh kids with bad genes. Disgusting.
No Murray is good. And has the potential to win big things.

I just don't like the guy.

Willy
Ageing international
Posts: 3255
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:11 pm
Location: Brun Lea

Re: Andy Murray

Post by Willy » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:21 pm

No, Murray is shite and will never win anything.

And I don't like him.

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 26836
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Andy Murray

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:23 pm

Willy wrote:No, Murray is shite and will never win anything.
What about the tournaments he's already won? :-?

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14327
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Andy Murray

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:27 pm

Willy wrote:Agreed.

Just another 'great white hope' for Britain. Tim Henman II. Broccoli flavoured cup-a-soup and SmartPrice bread.

Can Britain produce a kid who actually looks like he could win something? The kid is a waif. Look at the top tennis players of the last 10 years - they're all bred for the game, whereas Henman and Murray are just posh kids with bad genes. Disgusting.
Despite your somewhat jovial comments, I'm going to take your point at face value.

The guy is 6th in the world. And he DID just win a master series competition a couple of weeks ago, in which all the best players competed. In fact, he's won a few things:- career final stats

Joe, you don't like him, which is your opinion; but I don't see how you can say he's boring. He gets himself wound up about stuff, plays those flashy drop shots a lot, and pulls off some great shots defensively, that really he shouldn't have a right to get. Granted, I can understand why you might want to watch Federer, Nadal and Jokovic more, afterall they are the greatest three players out there right now, but that'd be like people only wanting to ever watch the top teams in football and announcing the others as boring - pretty sure you'd find plenty of arguments against that....

Willy
Ageing international
Posts: 3255
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:11 pm
Location: Brun Lea

Re: Andy Murray

Post by Willy » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:30 pm

Everyone wants a British Wimbledon winner. The tournaments that Murray's won mean fuck-all to anyone but himself.

Sorry, I just don't think he's good. Nowhere near the standard of Nadal or Federer and never will be. He's better off playing Sharapova or some other ditsy little girl. Come to think of it, either one of the Williams sisters would whip his skinny arse into next year. Maybe by that time he'll have improved.

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14327
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Andy Murray

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:35 pm

Willy wrote:Everyone wants a British Wimbledon winner. The tournaments that Murray's won mean fuck-all to anyone but himself.

Sorry, I just don't think he's good. Nowhere near the standard of Nadal or Federer and never will be. He's better off playing Sharapova or some other ditsy little girl. Come to think of it, either one of the Williams sisters would whip his skinny arse into next year. Maybe by that time he'll have improved.
I want Rovers to win the league every year, and England to win every International tournamenet, but I don't get my knickers in a twist, announce they're shit and refuse to support them because they don't.

Nobody else in the whole wide world is as good as Nadal or Federer at the moment. That's like saying nobody in the world is as good as Ronaldo and therefore they're shit and won't win anything.

You're obviously a harsh man to please when being 6th out of the entire population of the globe isn't good enough for you. Or flat earth if you prefer.

User avatar
Joe
Ageing international
Posts: 3561
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:04 pm

Re: Andy Murray

Post by Joe » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:39 pm

Willy, it was a masters tournament which he won. Not just a silly tournament. Andf he beat Nadal and Djokovic on the way to.

The drop shot could be a very good shot for him. Problem is he tends to attempt it every single game sometimes. A bit like Djokovic used to, who's mastered it now.

Ok so maybe when I said he was THE most boring player around I was exagerating, (that title belongs to Hewitt or Nadal). But there are much more exciting players to watch. The 3 I've mentioned are, not just because they are the best around, but because they are all exciting to watch, for different reasons. I wasn't calling Murray boring purely because of his game. His game is similar to Djokovic's in some respects. But Djokovic actually has an personality, unlike Murray who just get's angry with himself and acts like a spoilt brat.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYA_7RUSarU[/youtube]

Willy
Ageing international
Posts: 3255
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:11 pm
Location: Brun Lea

Re: Andy Murray

Post by Willy » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:40 pm

Without running the risk of having an all-day breakfast with you, Blackbat, I'll leave it there. ;)

Yes, I'm hard to please. Especially as I'm arguing for argument's sake and I know bugger-all about tennis. I just don't like posh Scottish boys - simple as.

'Flat-earther' I am most certainly not.

Post Reply