F1

There must be more to life than football?
User avatar
-BARON-23-
Promising manager
Posts: 11073
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:45 am
Location: Blackpool - Home, Luton - University
Contact:

Re: F1

Post by -BARON-23- » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:54 pm

Two great Massa drives in the last two races in always good to see, comfortably beat Bottas in both :0

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 27165
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: F1

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:44 am

But Bottas stuffed him over the whole season. Massa only overtook Button because of the silly double points rule.

Rosberg seemed very dignified in defeat - he could have easily grumbled about his car being the one to break, but instead accepted Hamilton had done enough for it not to matter.

User avatar
Gibbon
Promising manager
Posts: 17953
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:54 am
Location: Location: Location
Contact:

Re: F1

Post by Gibbon » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:09 pm

Yeah, Rosberg's attitude was excellent, he went a long way up in my estimation after that, and a lot of professional sportsmen could learn from him.

User avatar
-BARON-23-
Promising manager
Posts: 11073
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:45 am
Location: Blackpool - Home, Luton - University
Contact:

Re: F1

Post by -BARON-23- » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:06 pm

Rover the Top wrote:But Bottas stuffed him over the whole season. Massa only overtook Button because of the silly double points rule.

Rosberg seemed very dignified in defeat - he could have easily grumbled about his car being the one to break, but instead accepted Hamilton had done enough for it not to matter.
But i wasn't making it a big deal about the whole season, i was just saying it was nice to see Massa performing well at the end of the season (due to recent years he's been treated) and out performing Bottas so well for a change (which he did overall in the second half of the season).

User avatar
-BARON-23-
Promising manager
Posts: 11073
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:45 am
Location: Blackpool - Home, Luton - University
Contact:

Re: F1

Post by -BARON-23- » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:07 pm

Gibbon wrote:Yeah, Rosberg's attitude was excellent, he went a long way up in my estimation after that, and a lot of professional sportsmen could learn from him.
I always had a feeling he'd be like that, he does come across as a nice guy!

User avatar
Ethiaa
Site Admin
Posts: 13612
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:22 am
Location: Preston
Contact:

Re: F1

Post by Ethiaa » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:37 am

Rover the Top wrote:If it's true as has been suggested from a few sources that Bianchi didn't slow down as he should have done, that puts a different perspective on what went wrong and how it could have been avoided.
And now the FIA are saying exactly that.

User avatar
Dan
Unemployed ex-pro
Posts: 6859
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:08 am
Contact:

Re: F1

Post by Dan » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:23 am

Ethiaa wrote:
Rover the Top wrote:If it's true as has been suggested from a few sources that Bianchi didn't slow down as he should have done, that puts a different perspective on what went wrong and how it could have been avoided.
And now the FIA are saying exactly that.
Which is what I suspected all along, the car looked as if it was travelling too fast for the double yellow zone in the replays.

The only worrying part is this
During the 2 seconds Bianchi’s car was leaving the track and traversing the run-off area, he applied both throttle and brake together, using both feet. The FailSafe algorithm is designed to over-ride the throttle and cut the engine, but was inhibited by the Torque Coordinator, which controls the rear Brake-by-Wire system. Bianchi’s Marussia has a unique design of BBW, which proved to be incompatible with the FailSafe settings.
which surely should have been picked up at some point during testing of the systems, although there's no chance it would have made any difference whatsoever to the outcome of his head smashing the back of a tractor. Once he's off the track he's heading for it at speed across slippery grass for seconds whether the engine's cut and the brakes are applied or not.

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 27165
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: F1

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:01 pm

I imagine getting in a Marussia F1 car is like boarding a Ryanair plane - everything looks similar to the more esteemed names, but you wonder what corners are being cut to get costs down...

It seems a very sensible report. Avoid the disaster rather than make it survivable. A speed limit addresses the problem, providing drivers can't break it. If they try to manage it by punishing speeding drivers with time penalties, then that still leaves the possibility that one won't slow down enough.

User avatar
Dan
Unemployed ex-pro
Posts: 6859
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:08 am
Contact:

Re: F1

Post by Dan » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:03 pm

They've got the technology, as they've got the pit lane limiters. All they need to do is bring that into force somehow when a double flag is waved.

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 27165
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: F1

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:36 pm

Aren't the pit lane limiters still operated by the drivers? And will the speed limit always be the same? I imagine there's some way they can remotely slow the cars as they have the DRS where it's only activated in certain zones, and they have the flag lights that come on in the cockpits.

User avatar
Ethiaa
Site Admin
Posts: 13612
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:22 am
Location: Preston
Contact:

Re: F1

Post by Ethiaa » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:03 pm

Rover the Top wrote:Aren't the pit lane limiters still operated by the drivers? And will the speed limit always be the same? I imagine there's some way they can remotely slow the cars as they have the DRS where it's only activated in certain zones, and they have the flag lights that come on in the cockpits.
I thought they were - otherwise you wouldn't still get speeding in the pitlane offences.

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 27165
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: F1

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:15 pm

That was what I was thinking, but then couldn't remember if there'd been any speeding offences in recent seasons.

User avatar
Ethiaa
Site Admin
Posts: 13612
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:22 am
Location: Preston
Contact:

Re: F1

Post by Ethiaa » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:37 pm

Rover the Top wrote:That was what I was thinking, but then couldn't remember if there'd been any speeding offences in recent seasons.
http://www.grandprix247.com/2014/06/21/ ... ane-twice/

User avatar
-BARON-23-
Promising manager
Posts: 11073
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:45 am
Location: Blackpool - Home, Luton - University
Contact:

Re: F1

Post by -BARON-23- » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:47 pm

Volkswagen considering joining F1 in the near future...

User avatar
Dan
Unemployed ex-pro
Posts: 6859
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:08 am
Contact:

Re: F1

Post by Dan » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:07 pm

Ever wanted an F1 front wing or a bit of merchandise?

Marussia assets set to be auctioned off.

Post Reply