The Theadore Invitational - a musical insight...

There must be more to life than football?
Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Re: The Theadore Invitational - a musical insight...

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:26 pm

No

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:57 pm

RoryoftheRovers wrote:
Gibbon wrote:Yeah, it's ridiculous isn't it? I've not seen it for years, but I seem to remember it makes both bands look like complete tossers. :lol:
Which is surprising cause it was done by the lead singer of the Warhols right?!
I believe so. Maybe he was just being honest, or maybe he truly believed it showed himself in a flattering light. It IS a good documentary regardless, and I still like their music. :-D

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:21 am

Gibbon wrote:
RoryoftheRovers wrote:
Gibbon wrote:Yeah, it's ridiculous isn't it? I've not seen it for years, but I seem to remember it makes both bands look like complete tossers. :lol:
Which is surprising cause it was done by the lead singer of the Warhols right?!
I believe so. Maybe he was just being honest, or maybe he truly believed it showed himself in a flattering light. It IS a good documentary regardless, and I still like their music. :-D
It was made by someone called Ondi Timoner. Courtney Taylor Taylor's verdict was "It’s a movie, not a documentary. She worked her ass off and forged a plot when there was no plot. She crafted the thing to swell and ebb by taking eight years of us and a year and a half of the Brian Jonestown Massacre, and it looks like a rock documentary, but in fact it’s just f***ed with the memories of my life."

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:23 am

Ah, good article.

As it says in there, Taylor Taylor narrates the film which gives the impression that he had a controlling interest in it. That's probably what fooled me. :D

RoryoftheRovers
Regular international

Post by RoryoftheRovers » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:29 am

Gibbon wrote:Ah, good article.

As it says in there, Taylor Taylor narrates the film which gives the impression that he had a controlling interest in it. That's probably what fooled me. :D
yeah me too.

Weirdly made me interested int heir music too, I much prefer BJM though.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:47 am

As all sane people would.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:36 am

Dan Sartain, Hot Snakes and Rocket from the Crypt have been added to the Drive like Jehu ATP in April. :hyper:

I'm still not going though. :cry:

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:15 pm

Technically I'm still weighing it up but....

a) £200 is loads for a small bill in a pontins
b) although Kids are allowed now, there is still a curfew / who has to stay home problem which makes a worse.

The bill looks lovely though... hopefully they're getting back to making the events a bit more thematic, rather than the (albeit great) ATP by numbers that we had towards the end of their first run.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:45 pm

The writing's been on the wall for a while, but it's sad news all the same. ATP become NTP.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:45 pm

Yup... sad that they managed to screw their fans one more time... Iceland no less, hardly the cheapest holiday destination the world.

Will always remember it fondly... think I made it to 13 festivals (10 proper) and each was special, both in atmosphere and musically more exciting than almost all other festivals.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:12 am

Yeah, the best festivals I ever went to certainly, and I was looking forwards to taking Igor when she reached that age. I have a friend over in Iceland for this one, and he's not best pleased, but I think he was expecting it so booked a full holiday and will have plenty of other things to do.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:44 pm

SO, went to Blue Dot festival at the weekend. Hope they do it again next year. Some infrastructure and scheduling problems, and felt a bit sorry for anyone who had a day ticket for Friday as there was sod all on, but otherwise pretty good. Decent set of major acts (including a stunning light show by Jean Michel Jarre) and a beautiful light installation on the Lovell telescope produced by Eno. Just a shame the big dish broke so they couldn't angle it down. Lovely setting for a festival though.

Best acts:-

Public Service Broadcasting
DJ Shadow
Everything Everything (which is cool, cause I hate their song "Distant Past" but have found myself singing "Fat child in a pushchair" all day.....")
65daysofstatic
Jean Michel Jarre who did a pretty dark set!

Also, as you'd expect, lots of cool and interesting science stuff. I'm now addicted to looking at pulsar potentials....