Cricket

There must be more to life than football?
roversmillsy
Ageing international

Re: Cricket

Post by roversmillsy » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:48 pm

Rover the Top wrote:Lancs at it now... :roll:
Robbed!

Jim
Experienced international star

Post by Jim » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:35 am

Robbed? My arse! Your fast bowler with his silly run up was taking an eternity to bowl and you were given a warning about time before they gave the penalty runs.

Considering we won with 3 balls remaining in the over and two pretty solid batsmen at the crease I seriously think "robbed" is a poor choice of word. I think we would have got 6 more runs off those 3 balls anyway to be honest.

Regardless, it was an absolutely cracking game of T20 cricket! A real top-class advert for the sport! I've gotta say this catch by Lyth/Finch was just unbelievable! Not to mention those 3 HUGE sixes by Finch. It was like watching baseball! :D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpNak5n-bYQ[/youtube]

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:35 am

Didn't see it, but seeing as they were penalised for a slow over rate, if they were running in and not intending to bowl, it looks like the rules in place to prevent that work as the six penalty runs probably cost them the game. Looks like your nightmare world of twenty run in overs isn't set to happen....

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:36 am

Jim wrote:Robbed? My arse! Your fast bowler with his silly run up was taking an eternity to bowl and you were given a warning about time before they gave the penalty runs.

Considering we won with 3 balls remaining in the over and two pretty solid batsmen at the crease I seriously think "robbed" is a poor choice of word. I think we would have got 6 more runs off those 3 balls anyway to be honest.

Regardless, it was an absolutely cracking game of T20 cricket! A real top-class advert for the sport! I've gotta say this catch by Lyth/Finch was just unbelievable! Not to mention those 3 HUGE sixes by Finch. It was like watching baseball! :D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpNak5n-bYQ[/youtube]
No such thing as a cracking game of t-20. It's bringing about the demise of real cricket.

Jim
Experienced international star

Post by Jim » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:42 am

mrblackbat wrote:No such thing as a cracking game of t-20. It's bringing about the demise of real cricket.
Interesting point of view. I think personally the popularity of the T-20 games speaks for itself. It encourages attacking cricket and considering the numbers of spectators, including youngsters, at the T20 Bash games I've watched this season, against the '1 man and his dog' attendances of county cricket, its clearly more geared towards the "show" than test or one day cricket.

Having played cricket myself, I love the game in all its formats. But mentally, players must love playing T20 cricket as it gives you so much more scope to be creative and aggressive with your ability, take risks that are otherwise tutted at in the county game.

I personally think its all progress and its a good advert for cricket going forward.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:38 am

Having been to 20 20 games and seen people more interested in inflatable balls than the "cricket", that you're referring to it as baseball, that the rules have to be so altered in order to allow the batsman their slog fest, the introduction of the mongoose "bats" that are designed to be lighter by removing the section of the bat you defend wit, and that bowling appears to be a side though; I really don't think the format offers anything to cricket. Especially, considering that test matches still regularly sell out and remain the focus of the actual sport.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:43 am

I don't really care whether 20/20 or ODI becomes the main sideshow... there probably isn't a great deal of room for both. Test cricket is important and still worth protecting.... it is a much better measure of a player, and a far more interesting game.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:27 pm

The other thing that I find interesting is that only batting is seen as "attacking cricket" when cricket is sold via 20/20, when in my opinion bowling is far more the attacking side of the game, hence "bowling attack" and batsmen defending their wicket. I think that's what 20/20 has all wrong. The most enthralling, exciting g and amazing cricket I've seen remains the series in the Caribbean when Harmison was utterly destroying the West Indies batting line up.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:42 am

20/20 is alright for a bit of light TV entertainment on a weekday night. It gets taken too seriously though, with some pretty rubbish cricket getting accepted and even praised in some cases. Even with Lyth throwing the ball back, whilst that was good skill, it was a rotten delivery and a reckless shot that created the situation. Smith should have hit a more controlled shot along the ground, but batsmen are expected to try and hit 6s. Horton scored 50 by repeatedly mistiming his shots - but he's a good player when he's not trying to smash every ball. Bowlers get credit for catches on the boundary when they've done little to create the wicket other than serve up something to be slogged. It just makes the game a bit of a lottery.

mrblackbat wrote:
Didn't see it, but seeing as they were penalised for a slow over rate, if they were running in and not intending to bowl, it looks like the rules in place to prevent that work as the six penalty runs probably cost them the game. Looks like your nightmare world of twenty run in overs isn't set to happen....
I'd be surprised if dead balls are included in the fielding side's time, it would make little sense given the multitude of reasons they can be called. The time penalty seemed a bit controversial to me, it wasn't clear that the time was added on for Bresnan's pissing around. In any case, batsmen who aren't ready to come in should be timed out, and there's also supposed to be a 5 run penalty for the batting side wasting time.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:02 pm

I'm sure they'd add it on if they thought the bowler was deliberately running in with no intention to bowl.

As I said though, didn't see the t-20 match. Agree with your summation of it as a format though!

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:57 am

First Test without Pietersen, and Bell, Root and Prior immediately find their form again... hmm...

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:31 am

But Cook, Robson and Ballance wish he was still there...

It's just cricket, don't try to read too much into it :D

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:01 pm

Sam Robson who's making his debut and Gary Ballance who scored 18 and 7 in the one Test he played alongside Pietersen? :yeahright: Time will tell, but I'm sure there'd already be calls for Pietersen's return had the batting failed again yesterday. Some were already doing so when the third wicket went down. I think it's good that those three have shown straight away that they're still worth their places. And Cook can do his bit in the second innings...

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:07 pm

Rover the Top wrote:Sam Robson who's making his debut and Gary Ballance who scored 18 and 7 in the one Test he played alongside Pietersen? :yeahright: Time will tell, but I'm sure there'd already be calls for Pietersen's return had the batting failed again yesterday. Some were already doing so when the third wicket went down. I think it's good that those three have shown straight away that they're still worth their places. And Cook can do his bit in the second innings...
Yes, those two. The complete randomness of the statistics show what a waste of time it is to link a performance in a single innings of a match to the presence or otherwise of a single player from their own team.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:19 pm

It's not about statistics. Prior himself said earlier this year that Pietersen had been damaging the morale of the team and they would play better without him. First chance he's had to back that up, and he's played better than he'd done for some time. It's nothing conclusive, but good to see a more confident performance from England's top batsmen.