Snowboarding

There must be more to life than football?
Rovertheseas
Experienced international star

Re: Snowboarding

Post by Rovertheseas » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:30 pm

Good call, most novice boarders seem to forget that one! Glad I've got your words of wisdom to guide me Sav ;)

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:31 am

Get lessons before you go; otherwise you'll waste a day in a resort by spending 90% of it on your arse. Oh and while we're talking about being on your arse: get some impact shorts.

Other than that, keep your back straight and bend your knees. And then bend them some more, because you won't be doing it enough!

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:37 am

Get some skis too. Or two snowboards.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:55 am

Gibbon wrote:Get some skis too. Or two snowboards.
Or a splitboard!

http://www.solsticesupply.com/jones-sol ... tAodGDAAiQ

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:49 pm

Just got back from 8 days skiing in Salen in Sweden, main reason for going there was a friend has moved there having married a Swede.

Thought I'd give a little overview, as it is well worth going, mainly to dispel the myth that it is too expensive there.

We were in an chalet for 8 and it was £400 each for girlfriend and I for flights, chalet (very nice with sauna and walking/skiing distance to lifts), lift pass to 4 different ski areas, ski and pole high (which were of high quality). Personally I found that extremely good value to have the equivalent in France for example.

Mountains are much lower in Sweden (1000m tops) but snow is a complete non issue as they have tonnes of the stuff, extremely beautiful place, very well maintained pistes and lots of trees too, so a lovely place to be.

Only real negative being that the runs are never going to be as long as in the Alps of elsewhere in Europe, but I was never disappointed and there was lots of variety. Also, for any snow park lovers, these were all excellent with a big variety of jumps and boxes etc (still only getting to grips with them myself). Off piste was really good because so much snow. Also went down Vaggen (the wall), which was an insanely steep black run, steepest I've seen and is used for Speed Championships.

Now I'm not going to ignore the fact that Sweden isn't expensive, because it is, but you don't have to spend a lot of money there. The main things that are expensive are eating and drinking out, other than that everything else is effectively the same. Our chalet was self catering and we did a massive shop at a supermarket and it was £30 each, also went to a System and bought some crates of really good strong Swedish beer, works out about a pound a can and we did go out a couple of times. A pint in a bar is around £6 to £9 which is ridiculous. All in all we spent just over £600 each which isn't bad at all.

The other nice thing is that not many, if any, tourists seem to go to Sweden to ski, so it is nice and quiet and the Swedes are a friendly bunch, I got totally merked about Zlatan's goal once a group of guys realised I was English :lol:
Last edited by mcteeth on Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:45 pm

Yeah I just got back from Morzine on Sunday; should have some videos to post once I get round to editing them and shit. But oh my goodness did it snow! Over a metre of snow during the week, ridiculous powder and a massive desire to be right back there now.....

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:57 pm

Yeah same, I actually don't think a day went by without it snowing, genuinely had to shovel snow out of the pathway to the chalet, twice!

Also fulfilled a lifelong ambition, to have a sauna then dive in to neck deep snow naked, thankfully I don't have a video of that... :hyper:

To be honest I'm never fussed about the particulars of where I'm going skiing, it is simply being able to ski that gives me the most pleasure, but would now recommend Sweden certainly. Have you been to Germany Blackbat? That is on my list to try.

Up in the lakes next weekend, debating hiking up to Raise and skiing up there, provided there is snow!

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:59 pm

Hmm really wanna try and get a late season trip in.... anyone fancy it?

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:14 pm

Do you have to be able to snowboard? Or afford it?

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:19 pm

Afford it, yes; snowboard, up to you.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:14 am

Go on, someone must fancy it. £399 to Tignes for a week in a catered chalet with flights. BARGAIN.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:31 am

Maybe Savory, Moon or Hatts will go with you? Or all three. I imagine some legendary snowball fights would ensue. :lol:

Rovertheseas
Experienced international star

Post by Rovertheseas » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:07 am

Just got back from VT :) . Was so good.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:20 am

Sorted something for the 6th April in a place called La Joue De Loup. Never heard of it, but cheap as chips.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:59 pm

Demonstration of how little skill I have on pow, but an absolutely amazing back country run in Avoriaz in February.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kECWCHMC6o[/youtube]

Also, just bought a new board; will be selling my old mountain board, it's a Salomon Grip 154 from 09/10 if anyone after one....