Beer

There must be more to life than football?
joep89
Experienced international star

Beer

Post by joep89 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:25 pm

After a trip to Gibraltar, I managed to find a few real ales to bring back, you know, for emergencies. Well tonight was the night I decided to hit my first one. I had three bottles, Tanglefoot, Lancaster Bomber and Spitfire. I've gone for the Tanglefoot tonight, and its absolutely amazing. I've never really had ales before, but I'm interested to know which are the best out there, so I can hit them in summer. As beer doesn't really have its own thread, I thought I'd make a place to list your favourites, and also share some little known ones for other people to try.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Re: Beer

Post by theadore » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:24 am

As a drunk man... i feel especially empowered to help here.

personally....

Moonshine - a local sheffield IPA... tasty as the day is long and despite its lowly 4.3 it turns perfectly sensible men into raving simpletons... am feeling this rigt now!

Also, Sam smiths stout.... oatmeal stout from coniston, Tag Lag in the lakes... Paradise Pale from leeds.

Other than that - and I know i'm localling.... but Sierra Nevada or Anchor Steam... W00t.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:39 am

Yay! Charlie was on moonshine for much of tonight. She really enjoyed it if her drunken ramblings are anything to go by. :D

Sup Theadore! Good to see you out tonight. Hope you and the lady had a good one.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:29 am

I did although I was ridiculously hammered already by the time I saw you and have no idea why... some horrible combination of pay day and the idea of going for a quick pint after work no doubt.

Good to see you too - hope the dinner was good.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:04 pm

mmmmmmm. The food was brilliant thanks mate. I love Cubana with a passion.
Stuffed hungover Gibbon wrote:Feijoada - A brazilian classic - tender diced pork, smoked bacon, spicy chorizo sausage & black beans served in a rich tomato & white wine sauce
Chorizo - Flavoursome pan fried Spanish chorizo sausage with freshly peeled prawns
Albondigas - Cubana’s famous meatballs made with fresh mince beef, coriander and onion served in a tomato and red wine sauce
Pincho de pollo - Grilled chicken breast pieces marinated with cumin and paprika served on a skewer
Patatas bravas - The Spanish old favourite - fried potatoes topped with a spicy tomato sauce
Espárragos trigueros - Grilled asparagus served on a bed of spinach, tomato and manchego cheese
:hyper:

Oh and that Ethiopian restaurant is on Arundal Gate I think - and it's called Ethio Cubana. (Cue loads of none PC jokes about empty plates being served up, etc...)

Savory
Promising manager

Post by Savory » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:39 pm

that all sounds just like la tasca... :P

iamarover
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by iamarover » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:42 pm

beer is brilliant isn't it?

Of my local beers, I particularly like things like YellowHammer by O'Hanlans (down in Devon) and any of the Otter Ales (also Devon). The beers at ATP in December were also wicked, all local too, mostly from Cotleigh or Exmoor Ales. Tribute is a lovely drop too.

Nationally, I like a few I've had from Brakspear,Badger, etc. There's far too many to list.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:50 pm

Savory wrote:that all sounds just like la tasca... :P
It IS just like La Tasca, only served by an infinitely superior restaurant. ;)

Savory
Promising manager

Post by Savory » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:52 pm

Gibbon wrote:
Savory wrote:that all sounds just like la tasca... :P
It IS just like La Tasca, only served by an infinitely superior restaurant. ;)
just as well, la tasca is microwave shite :D sounded very nice tho, good paella's?

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:09 pm

Oh YES! The Paellas are lovely, I only didn't have one last night because the missus isn't too keen and I we were on a free-for-all share fest. :hyper:

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:40 pm

mmmm... excellent ordering mr gibbon.

And yes beer is also excellent.

speaking of which has anyone had Kasteel Cru?? Its a french beer brewed with champagne yeast and tastes absolutely ace.

Also on my current favourites list are any of the Brew Dog ales (the shefield tap which is the pub at the train station actually has a few bottles of the 32% tactical nuclear penguin) and the oak aged Innis and Gunn

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:56 pm

Personally, i think innis and gunn is terrible.

Black sheep is a class ale, as is jenning's snecklifter and cumberland ale. I'm surprisingly partial to newcastle brown, and the joys of timothy taylor's landlord.

Ichi The Killer
Valued squad member

Post by Ichi The Killer » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:13 pm

mrblackbat wrote:Black sheep is a class ale
Just taken that off in our pub as it was consistently wank. Copper Dragon has taken it's place.

I personally love drinking Pride of Pendle. Can't get enough of it. Image

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:17 pm

I went to an ale festival not long ago and found loads I liked, but had promptly forgotten them by the end of the day. Far too busy drinking ale to be paying attention to which ones they were.

I do quite like the local Castle Rock brewery down here in Nottingham though, they've got some nice stuff.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:24 pm

Dan wrote:I went to an ale festival not long ago and found loads I liked, but had promptly forgotten them by the end of the day. Far too busy drinking ale to be paying attention to which ones they were.

I do quite like the local Castle Rock brewery down here in Nottingham though, they've got some nice stuff.
The trouble with beer festivals, is that after a few pints they all taste good. Although I'm not sure that shoul actually be classed as 'trouble'. :scratch:

Besides...cider is the only true drink. Addlestones for the win. :hyper: