Beer

There must be more to life than football?
Ethiaa
Site Admin

Re: Beer

Post by Ethiaa » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:12 pm

Gibbon wrote:I'm sure I've discussed this on here before, possibly with Ethiaa or Blackbat. Whoever it was told me that a £40 bottle of wine knocks the shit out of a £6 supermarket wine...which may well be true.

Fortunately my palate doesn't seem to give a shit and thinks a £5.99 bottle of Merlot from lidl is ambrosia.

I'm the same with coffee, cheap instant is gorgeous, expensive filtered coffee leaves me cold. I'm a cheap date. :D
Sounds like something I'd say (because it's true) but you can also get really good wine for under a tenner. We buy our "everyday wine" (yes we call it that) from Booths where you actually get more than the usual same old stuff and have an opportunity to drink around a bit more. Our more expensive stuff we only get mail order. The advantage of drinking a 5/6/7 quid bottle is that when you then open the £30 bottle you can instantly see where your money went.

By the way, I ran a cheese and wine evening the other night - 9 wines with 9 matched cheeses. All bought from Booths and in the "reasonable" band (ie nothing over £15 other than the bottle of champagne). The cheese actually cost more. You just need tasting notes off the web for both and you have an instant middle aged middle class drinking game.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:52 am

Sounds like someone is itching to host a 'Roverstalk Wine and Cheese Extravaganza'

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:53 am

If someone else pays.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:59 am

Not if you're choosing the wine.. ;)

Is Booths a north west thing then? I thought it was just one shop in Windermere.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:09 am

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:17 am

My sister usually sends us a case of the more expensive stuff for christmas, not in the £40 per bottle range, more like £15-£20 per bottle, but even so, it tastes the same to me as the better £6.99 supermarket wines.

Granted, I've yet to have one from the cases that I didn't like, which can't be said about the cheaper wines, so there's that.

And yes to wine and cheese.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:32 am

Well - if you're going to use underhand cheating tactics...

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:33 am

You might be interested to know Booths sponsor our Beer and Sausage festival because of our connection with the finest quality local produce. And for some reason, somebody booked Simon's band to play on the Sunday.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:01 am

Ethiaa wrote:You might be interested to know Booths sponsor our Beer and Sausage festival because of our connection with the finest quality local produce. And for some reason, somebody booked Simon's band to play on the Sunday.
We're not called "Not Yet Confirmed"...

iamarover
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by iamarover » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:11 am

are you a TBC tribute act?

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:24 am

Yes, we pay homage to the hardest working yet most elusive band in the UK... :yeahright:

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:28 am

Rover the Top wrote:Yes, we pay homage to the hardest working yet most elusive band in the UK... :yeahright:
I don't actually know what you ARE called to be honest. Some of your posters were floating around the bar last night but I had other things to deal with.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:29 am

Queenesque.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:34 am

Rover the Top wrote:Queenesque.
Done. We've booked Saturday aft too, just not sure who they are.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:52 pm

Gibbon wrote:I'm sure I've discussed this on here before, possibly with Ethiaa or Blackbat. Whoever it was told me that a £40 bottle of wine knocks the shit out of a £6 supermarket wine...which may well be true.

Fortunately my palate doesn't seem to give a shit and thinks a £5.99 bottle of Merlot from lidl is ambrosia.

I'm the same with coffee, cheap instant is gorgeous, expensive filtered coffee leaves me cold. I'm a cheap date. :D
Yeah 'twas me. I reckon your palate would notice the difference when tasted side by side. Interestingly though, Lidl's wine is curious; their "no brands" policy means they actually get much better wine for cost in than a lot of other supermarkets, and rather oddly, when I was in a few weeks back, noticed they were actually selling £45 a bottle pomerol! Who knew?

Got a couple of bottles stashed away at the moment for a looooong time, a bottle of 2008 Pichon-Baron Longueville (was 90 euros) along with a 2005 Chateau Bon Pasteur, a 98 clos du marquis, and a couple of bottles of Brunello from San Giuseppe. Plus my collection in bond is starting to increase now; and increase in value too.

On the champagne front, I actually wouldn't bother with champagne at all unless spending big. The English sparking wines available from Cottonworth, Ridgeview and Nyetimber all blow any champagne out the water for the price (around the £30 depending on offer). Also, Cremant De Loire is a great drink if you can find it; bit difficult here as nobody stocks it, but if you're ever in France along the Loire, try heading for Saumur and get hold of some Chateau de Breze.