Beer

There must be more to life than football?
Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Re: Beer

Post by Dan » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:09 pm

Another old thread that needs resurrecting...
If you ever see any of this stuff anywhere, drink it. Its awesome.
https://untappd.com/b/blue-monkey-brewe ... la/1265127

Joe
Ageing international

Post by Joe » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:48 pm

Made our own cider! With our own Pears!

Was sure it would go wrong at some stage, but tasted a bit (a lot) prior to bottling and it's already quite nice (and alcoholic) :hyper:

Should be lovely given another month or so.

Now we've got most the kit to do beer, wine.....and defintely lots more cider next fall! We decided to do it quite late in the year so missed out on most the pears (they're so high that we can't pick them, and fall with such velocity they are smashed up by the time they hit the floor). But we bought a telescopic fruit picker at the last minute and maybe got 10-20% of the summer's pears. And that yielded about 20 litres..... :hyper:

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:52 am

Joe wrote:Made our own cider! With our own Pears!

Was sure it would go wrong at some stage, but tasted a bit (a lot) prior to bottling and it's already quite nice (and alcoholic) :hyper:

Should be lovely given another month or so.

Now we've got most the kit to do beer, wine.....and defintely lots more cider next fall! We decided to do it quite late in the year so missed out on most the pears (they're so high that we can't pick them, and fall with such velocity they are smashed up by the time they hit the floor). But we bought a telescopic fruit picker at the last minute and maybe got 10-20% of the summer's pears. And that yielded about 20 litres..... :hyper:
I've currently got both wine (10 litres) and cider (20 litres) on the go. First did cider a couple of years ago with my own apples and pears and it turned out fine (and incredibly strong) so I'm doing it again. I drank most of mine within a few months but left a couple of bottles for a year in the garage to see what happened - one tasted a bit 'lighter' and sweeter, but was still pretty potent strength wise. The other's possibly getting a gammon slow-cooked in it on Christmas Day.

Cider's pretty hard to get wrong from what I've learnt- depends how fussy you are with the taste.

First time I've done wine this year, and maybe the last, I had loads of plums on a tree we were taking out and needed something to do with them :D

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:12 am

So who's up for a special edition roverstalk cider? I'll design the label. :hyper:

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:32 am

Never really got into cider... However never thought about making just cooking cider before. How much fruit would I need to make a 1 gallon demi-johns worth.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:37 am

I make all my cider with the cheapest apple juice in cartons from ASDA and then add in extra fresh fruit from whatever is currently cropping in the garden to give it the more subtle flavours (and a couple of jars of honey). It gives you loads of flexibility to fill whatever size fermenter you want that way.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:43 am

Ethiaa wrote:I make all my cider with the cheapest apple juice in cartons from ASDA and then add in extra fresh fruit from whatever is currently cropping in the garden to give it the more subtle flavours (and a couple of jars of honey). It gives you loads of flexibility to fill whatever size fermenter you want that way.
:o

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:44 am

theadore wrote:Never really got into cider... However never thought about making just cooking cider before. How much fruit would I need to make a 1 gallon demi-johns worth.
Hard to say - and you can always top it up with cheap apple juice as Eth says if you've not enough.

I filled around 4 of the standard apple boxes you get from supermarkets and a couple of big carrier bags with apples from my own tree and got just over 5 gallons if that's any help :D

Probably could have got more juice out of them, but couldn't be bothered.

Joe
Ageing international

Post by Joe » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:33 pm

Dan wrote:
theadore wrote:Never really got into cider... However never thought about making just cooking cider before. How much fruit would I need to make a 1 gallon demi-johns worth.
Hard to say - and you can always top it up with cheap apple juice as Eth says if you've not enough.

I filled around 4 of the standard apple boxes you get from supermarkets and a couple of big carrier bags with apples from my own tree and got just over 5 gallons if that's any help :D

Probably could have got more juice out of them, but couldn't be bothered.
5 gallons was about 40kilo of pears i think.... but we also could have got more out the pears i think.......