TV shows that are ace

There must be more to life than football?
mrblackbat
Promising manager

Re: TV shows that are ace

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:34 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
mrblackbat wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-37980721

Judge orders Brendan Dassey's immediate release.
And it's been blocked.
The judge now insists he has to be out by Friday.

http://www.kare11.com/news/crime/dassey ... /354622441

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:17 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Rover the Top wrote:
mrblackbat wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-37980721

Judge orders Brendan Dassey's immediate release.
And it's been blocked.
The judge now insists he has to be out by Friday.

http://www.kare11.com/news/crime/dassey ... /354622441
Nope, that report is behind the times...
"Attorney General Brad Schimel will file an emergency motion today in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit seeking a stay of this release order and requesting relief by Friday, November 18, 2016," the DOJ said in its Wednesday release.
That was last week, and they were successful.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:29 am

...although fresh testing has been ordered on evidence in Avery's case.

Hudson
Regular international

Post by Hudson » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:35 pm

So this series of Westworld has finished and I really enjoyed it. Bit of a shock about who the 'man in black' turned out to be and the whole thing about what the maze meant was really clever too. Looking forward to the next series :)

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:26 pm

shhh..... only on episode 3.

Enjoying it though :)

Rover Ryan
Ageing international

Post by Rover Ryan » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:55 am

Hudson wrote:So this series of Westworld has finished and I really enjoyed it. Bit of a shock about who the 'man in black' turned out to be and the whole thing about what the maze meant was really clever too. Looking forward to the next series :)
It took me 3 episodes to start to have an interest in Westworld. Almost gave up on it but glad I didn't as I've been hooked since Anthong Hopkins has appeared more into a central role!!

And yeah as Dan hinted at 'SPOILERS

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:12 am

Westworld: [**SPOILERS**]

I remember being convinced that William's story was set in the past, but that he was Arnold or AH. So I was partially right. I also thought that EVERY employee was a host, with <AH as the only human in the show, so the Bernard reveal wasn't a surprise.

[/**SPOILERS**]

Overall - it kept me on my toes, and I really enjoyed it.

Also liked the Expanse.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:29 pm

The Expanse was good. So are the books.

Westworld turned into a massive disappointment for me. Far too many plot holes by the end to take anything seriously and tried to be overly complicated which just exposed the holes.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:27 pm

I thought the books were a bit 'teenage' for me. But I did read them after finishing the Takeshi Kovacs books by Richard Morgan (also due a TV series based on Altered Carbon I understand).

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:42 pm

mrblackbat wrote:Westworld turned into a massive disappointment for me. Far too many plot holes by the end to take anything seriously and tried to be overly complicated which just exposed the holes.
The thing that bugged me all the way through was that there seemed to be little thought given to preventing guest-on-guest bladed weapon fatalities - other than that it had a reasonably well constructed logic path as far as I could see.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:31 pm

Gibbon wrote:
mrblackbat wrote:Westworld turned into a massive disappointment for me. Far too many plot holes by the end to take anything seriously and tried to be overly complicated which just exposed the holes.
The thing that bugged me all the way through was that there seemed to be little thought given to preventing guest-on-guest bladed weapon fatalities - other than that it had a reasonably well constructed logic path as far as I could see.
1. William/man in black encounters the same experience with the hosts 35 years previously and currently, despite there being many upgrades to their realism and performance.

2. William/man in black get experience of the park prior to arnold wanting it to be prevented from being open to the public and so buys the park.

3. William/man in black, whilst therefore owning the park for 35 years only acts on this with an aggressive takeover now, 35 years later.

There are others too, Maeve exists in William's original visit to the town as the brothel keeper yet they later state she was only recently reprogrammed for that role, so how did mature William walk in to kill her and her daughter?

Sorry, but given the way they decided it was going; these are monumental plot holes that ruin the entire series. To be honest given the gravity of some of these they're more than plot holes and more like catastrophic plot failures.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:06 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
1. William/man in black encounters the same experience with the hosts 35 years previously and currently, despite there being many upgrades to their realism and performance.

Not sure if this is a plothole - I seem to remember that the park had been open around 5 years before young William first rode up, plenty of time for the park to have ironed out and polished and perfected core aspects of the experience to the point where they remained in place unchanged for 30 years.

2. William/man in black get experience of the park prior to arnold wanting it to be prevented from being open to the public and so buys the park.

Not sure what you mean here - William first came to the park after it had already been open for five years.

3. William/man in black, whilst therefore owning the park for 35 years only acts on this with an aggressive takeover now, 35 years later.

From what I remember he didn't buy the Park 35 years ago. He was banking on his father-in-law putting him in charge of a company Head of his son, Logan who he deemed unstable. He only bought into the Park later after making his fortune in this way.

There are others too, Maeve exists in William's original visit to the town as the brothel keeper yet they later state she was only recently reprogrammed for that role, so how did mature William walk in to kill her and her daughter?

I honestly don't remember if we saw Young William and Maeve together or not. May have to check.

Sorry, but given the way they decided it was going; these are monumental plot holes that ruin the entire series. To be honest given the gravity of some of these they're more than plot holes and more like catastrophic plot failures.
In summation though, I may have to watch again to be sure of any of my points. :D

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:13 pm

Gibbon wrote:

Not sure if this is a plothole - I seem to remember that the park had been open around 5 years before young William first rode up, plenty of time for the park to have ironed out and polished and perfected core aspects of the experience to the point where they remained in place unchanged for 30 years.

- this is the huge gaping plot hole though; Ford states that the only way they were able to get the park open was because they found someone who loved it to fund it - William. Who first visited the park five years after it opened..... oh, wait....

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:20 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Gibbon wrote:

- this is the huge gaping plot hole though; Ford states that the only way they were able to get the park open was because they found someone who loved it to fund it - William. Who first visited the park five years after it opened..... oh, wait....
Hmm, don't remember that, are you certain he was referring to William. Will have to check.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:31 am

Yes, yes he was.