General Election

There must be more to life than football?
Rover the Top
Experienced manager

General Election

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:04 am

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Re: General Election

Post by Ethiaa » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:09 am

You should totally play with the three way swingometer on the Guardian. It's surprising how much of a swing to the evil blue bastards there can be and still get a hung parliament. Well, I was surprised anyway. Pleasantly surprised.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:16 am

The evil blue bastards as opposed to the evil red bastards and evil yellow bastards?

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:24 am

Rover the Top wrote:The evil blue bastards as opposed to the evil red bastards and evil yellow bastards?
I can't categorise anyone who believes in social equality as evil. They may be shit at delivering it but that doesn't make them evil. Not believing in it at all on the other hand...

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:48 am

We could have a lengthy debate about how you're defining social equality there and whether any of the parties actually believe in it. However, I'll just say that justifying war with lies and deception could also be described as 'evil'.

And the Lib Dems have been too insignificant for me to care if they're evil or not.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:53 am

Obviously evil is a very socially constructed term. The Conservative party is pretty much on a par with the BNP for me if that sufficiently explains my political paradigm. The Lib Dems aren't insignificant around here thankfully and if they retain or increase their seats to any extent we should end up with a government that is forced to be moderate in its approach. A hung parliament is exactly what the country needs in my opinion.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:02 pm

Agreed. Not really looked into it recently and I know the odds of it happening are pretty much non existent...but technically is there really no way that a liberal government can get elected outright at this election? It doesn't seem possible fiddling around with that doohickey. :-?

joep89
Experienced international star

Post by joep89 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:13 pm

Being abroad, how do I register to vote online, or however the hell its done?

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:15 pm

Gibbon wrote:Agreed. Not really looked into it recently and I know the odds of it happening are pretty much non existent...but technically is there really no way that a liberal government can get elected outright at this election? It doesn't seem possible fiddling around with that doohickey. :-?
Technically there are two (or more) ways. Realistically however? :scratch:

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:18 pm

Ethiaa wrote:A hung parliament is exactly what the country needs in my opinion.
But it could do with a better name to avoid the tedious puns... :scratch:

I think we will get a hung parliament... Labour should be unelectable for making a string of obvious and inexcusable errors - remember them increasing the tax burden for the lowest earners and trying to persuade everyone they hadn't? Now that was evil, yet hasn't been brought up again, presumably because most people don't understand the tax system anyway. But then the Tories don't seem to really want the hassle of having to make the decisions, they're happy as they are picking up on someone else's mistakes. And the Lib Dems promise Utopia through radical changes knowing they won't have to deliver but it might get them a share of government if they dupe enough of the undecideds. Oh, and Burnley will probably elect the BNP in 'protest' against Brian Laws. Or something...

Gibbon, I was told when I was younger that the Lib Dems (or whatever the third party was called back then) didn't enter enough candidates to win a majority. I'm not sure if that's still the case, but I guess certain areas are so firmly devoted to one party, it's not realistic to think they can get in?

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:25 pm

The lib dems are i'm pretty sure contesting every seat (possibly not northern ireland, but they wouldn't get in anyway)... although i'm also fairly sure the BNP are contesting about 450+ seats.

The odds of a hung parliament are pretty small, as the Lib dems are generally 2nd to either of the two parties... it would be good if they got it as they would almost certainly get some form of proportional representation out of it and the 20% of the population who vote for them would finally be represented in the country as a whole.

I hope the powers that be don't get to ruin election night by counting half the country a day later... that would be upsetting.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:28 pm

theadore wrote: I hope the powers that be don't get to ruin election night by counting half the country a day later... that would be upsetting.
Aye, they should have the results in about ten minutes, given that most of the country won't even bother to visit their polling booth... :scratch:

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:30 pm

joep89 wrote:Being abroad, how do I register to vote online, or however the hell its done?
Here. :hyper:

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:30 pm

theadore wrote:The lib dems are i'm pretty sure contesting every seat (possibly not northern ireland, but they wouldn't get in anyway)... although i'm also fairly sure the BNP are contesting about 450+ seats.

The odds of a hung parliament are pretty small, as the Lib dems are generally 2nd to either of the two parties..
A 2% - 7% swing to the Conservatives from Labour with the Lib Dems retaining the same seats would result in a hung parliament - I don't see that as all that unlikely.

SheepShagginRover
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by SheepShagginRover » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:17 pm

VOTE PLAID CYMRU :hyper: