General Election

There must be more to life than football?
User avatar
Ethiaa
Site Admin
Posts: 13222
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:22 am
Location: Preston
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by Ethiaa » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:53 pm

Indeed they might.

User avatar
wrinks_89
Valued squad member
Posts: 585
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:27 am
Location: Manchester
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by wrinks_89 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:29 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
mrblackbat wrote:But if everyone votes for the party, not the name, how will it shake out in a general election anymore than it did last time? :yeahright:
I think eth is trying to say people vote for the party based on its merits at the time of the election, not that they just vote the same way every time. So the current crop of MPs will be replaced by more left wing candidates, and they'll take their chances on getting elected with whatever percentage of their current vote backs Corbyn, plus what they can pinch from the greens.

Of course, the ousted MPs may then firm their own party, take the anti-Corbyn members and voters with them and try to take on the Tories, ukip and lib dems.
I agree. I believe this is why Nick Clegg and the Lib Dems did so well a few years back. Even I liked his policies. Before we discovered his belly was as yellow as the tie he was sporting.

User avatar
wrinks_89
Valued squad member
Posts: 585
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:27 am
Location: Manchester
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by wrinks_89 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:31 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news
Boris Johnson has been made the new foreign secretary

User avatar
wrinks_89
Valued squad member
Posts: 585
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:27 am
Location: Manchester
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by wrinks_89 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:39 pm


User avatar
wrinks_89
Valued squad member
Posts: 585
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:27 am
Location: Manchester
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by wrinks_89 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:00 pm


User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 26758
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:14 am

mrblackbat wrote:
Ethiaa wrote: Re your edit, these were the changes made to the voting structure in Labour recently - ones I personally agree with. Not sure what your point is like - see above.
My point is that the individual members of trade unions had the opportunity to vote instead of relying on their representative. Some of them clearly did, many chose not to bother. So essentially, there is no trade union representative present for the last Labour leadership election, just individual voters.
My fiancée's just been made Unite rep at her workplace, without really understanding what she's got herself into. Yesterday, she had to deal with angry coworkers complaining that the union supported Corbyn, and sent out an email explaining that they could vote however they wanted to stop them cancelling their memberships. :lol:

mcteeth
Ageing international
Posts: 3405
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:44 am
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by mcteeth » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:18 pm

wrinks_89 wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news
Boris Johnson has been made the new foreign secretary
And Hunt staying on as health secretary.

Fucking shambles.

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14222
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:05 pm

Though Hunt is actually doing quite a good job in many areas of the NHS. Such as the ambulance service contracts being handed to the Red Cross in the North East; response rates are fantastic compared to how they were previously.

But of course, everyone just thinks he's evil because junior doctors say so.

User avatar
Gibbon
Promising manager
Posts: 17372
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:54 am
Location: Location: Location
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by Gibbon » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:29 pm

And nurses and social workers, specialists, consultants, GP's...pretty much everyone I know who works for the health service in fact.

User avatar
Ethiaa
Site Admin
Posts: 13222
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:22 am
Location: Preston
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by Ethiaa » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:45 pm

Gibbon wrote:And nurses and social workers, specialists, consultants, GP's...pretty much everyone I know who works for the health service in fact.
True dat. And pretty much anyone related to health research who works with the NHS. Probably all just a coincidence mind.

User avatar
wrinks_89
Valued squad member
Posts: 585
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:27 am
Location: Manchester
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by wrinks_89 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:56 pm

Guys, Is there another thread for political topics in general? Apologies if so.
Just an article on another change made by May..
http://www.independent.co.uk/environmen ... 37166.html

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14222
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:42 am

Ethiaa wrote:
Gibbon wrote:And nurses and social workers, specialists, consultants, GP's...pretty much everyone I know who works for the health service in fact.
True dat. And pretty much anyone related to health research who works with the NHS. Probably all just a coincidence mind.
I think I've worked many places where "everyone" who worked there hated the boss and thought they were underpaid. :shrug:

Tough job being in charge of anything.

User avatar
Gibbon
Promising manager
Posts: 17372
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:54 am
Location: Location: Location
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by Gibbon » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:31 am

mrblackbat wrote:
Ethiaa wrote:
Gibbon wrote:And nurses and social workers, specialists, consultants, GP's...pretty much everyone I know who works for the health service in fact.
True dat. And pretty much anyone related to health research who works with the NHS. Probably all just a coincidence mind.
I think I've worked many places where "everyone" who worked there hated the boss and thought they were underpaid. :shrug:

Tough job being in charge of anything.
You realise it's not all about pay disputes? It's largely about the systematic reduction of funding and resources in order to cause services to fail and allow backdoor privatisation.

If you make it impossible for a system to operate efficiently then repolace it with a private company who doesn't suffer those same restrictions, then of course you'll be able to flag it as an improvement and a success. Of course our taxes are then being funnelled into private profits rather than public, but what the hell, right?

User avatar
Ethiaa
Site Admin
Posts: 13222
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:22 am
Location: Preston
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by Ethiaa » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:47 am

I actually don't think they are underpaid anyway :D

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 26758
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:58 am

mrblackbat wrote:Though Hunt is actually doing quite a good job in many areas of the NHS. Such as the ambulance service contracts being handed to the Red Cross in the North East; response rates are fantastic compared to how they were previously.

But of course, everyone just thinks he's evil because junior doctors say so.
"Everyone" wants an efficient, free to use, nationalised health service. "Everyone" wants a competent doctor on hand whenever they need or just want one. But then "everyone" wants those doctors to have stress-free jobs, with manageable workloads, normal hours and rewarding pay packets. And "everyone" doesn't want tax increases or other services and benefits to be cut to fund it all. Oh yes, and god forbid we make use of the advantages of privatisation to improve the system, it's much better to have people suffer and die than have someone make some money from it... does that apply to doctors too?

Of course "everyone" hates Hunt, he's a Tory trying to manage the impossible... but then "everyone" isn't everyone.

Post Reply