General Election

There must be more to life than football?
User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 27140
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:01 am

Gibbon wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:39 pm
Good thing no-one except tory voters actually pay any attention to these increasingly desperate smears.
If that were true, then Labour has a bigger anti-semitism problem than is made out. Fortunately, it's mostly Labour MPs and Labour supporter groups that are demanding change from their own party. There's no smears: the mural was real, it was removed for appearing anti-semitic (the reasons explained above in that well known Tory rag "The Guardian"), Corbyn did comment on it in apparent support for the artist. A Jewish Labour MP brought it to the public's attention. Labour-supporting Jewish groups protested against him, Corbyn apologised. But Jewdas publicly criticised the protest. And Corbyn's first interaction with the Jewish community following his apology was with the dissenting Jewdas rather than engaging with those who had the problem. Which has understandably further antagonised those who were looking to build bridges.

The actual Tories (ie the Conservatives, not just anyone with moderate left to right wing views ;) ) have no interest in getting involved, they've got their own problems and are quite happy for Labour to self-destruct. But none of that seems to register with the Corbynista apologists who seem to just want to discredit any source of criticism rather than acknowledge the problem and stop it from causing real damage.

And the thing is, if it was say Theresa May coming under fire for commenting on the mural, I'm sure no one would think saying the artist just couldn't draw very well was a reasonable explanantion. :shrug:

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 27140
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:44 am

mrblackbat wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:52 pm
Aside from members of his own party, of course....
Facts are smears, and anyone who disagrees is a Tory... ;) You need to get up to date with the latest doublespeak from the Ministry of Truth... :D

User avatar
Gibbon
Promising manager
Posts: 17898
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:54 am
Location: Location: Location
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by Gibbon » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:16 am

Rover the Top wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:44 am
mrblackbat wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:52 pm
Aside from members of his own party, of course....
Facts are smears, and anyone who disagrees is a Tory... ;) You need to get up to date with the latest doublespeak from the Ministry of Truth... :D
Ah well in that case...
List contains THIRTY-ONE tweets, which I’ll not post here, but feel free to click the tweet if you feel the need to taste your own bile.

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 27140
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:34 am

Gibbon wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:16 am
Rover the Top wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:44 am
mrblackbat wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:52 pm
Aside from members of his own party, of course....
Facts are smears, and anyone who disagrees is a Tory... ;) You need to get up to date with the latest doublespeak from the Ministry of Truth... :D
Ah well in that case...
What's your point? Nobody's defending those people and it seems they were dealt with accordingly? And it's probably not as much of an issue for the Labour MPs Blackbat mentioned as what goes on in their own party?

User avatar
Gibbon
Promising manager
Posts: 17898
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:54 am
Location: Location: Location
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by Gibbon » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:42 am

No, I know. That list just popped up on my twitter feed and I had it on my clipboard to post elsewhere, then couldn’t resist after your post about facts. Naughty of me, sorry.

This is more relevant. Academics write open letter against Corbyn focussed anti-semitic witchhunt.

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 27140
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:55 am

Gibbon wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:16 am
but feel free to click the tweet if you feel the need to taste your own bile.
And WTF is that supposed to mean? :shrug:

User avatar
Gibbon
Promising manager
Posts: 17898
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:54 am
Location: Location: Location
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by Gibbon » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:06 am

Rover the Top wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:55 am
Gibbon wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:16 am
but feel free to click the tweet if you feel the need to taste your own bile.
And WTF is that supposed to mean? :shrug:
That was just my way of joking that reading that list is so distasteful it’ll probably make you a little bit sick in your mouth. Was I wrong? :shrug:

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 27140
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:45 am

Gibbon wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:42 am
No, I know. That list just popped up on my twitter feed and I had it on my clipboard to post elsewhere, then couldn’t resist after your post about facts. Naughty of me, sorry.

This is more relevant. Academics write open letter against Corbyn focussed anti-semitic witchhunt.
But I'm assuming they are facts, and no one is arguing the steam off Mr Peacock's piss is actually valuable, or that bin bags in Mr Joannides' council actually resemble burkas if you squint? :?

There is a point in that letter that there are other incidents to consider, that it isn't just about the Labour Party. However, they don't deny there is a problem within the Labour Party AND it could be resolved with a change of tact from their leader AND since he's vying to become Prime Minister, it's a much bigger and direct concern than the other things they mention. So the question remains: Why are people trying to deflect from, defend or bury this issue when it would be much easier to acknowledge there's a problem to be addressed and take steps to stamp it out?

User avatar
Gibbon
Promising manager
Posts: 17898
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:54 am
Location: Location: Location
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by Gibbon » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:02 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:45 am
So the question remains: Why are people trying to deflect from, defend or bury this issue when it would be much easier to acknowledge there's a problem to be addressed and take steps to stamp it out?
If the debate is misguidedly hijacked to smear one man then of course people are going to deflect and defend him. Agree there's a problem and it should be stamped out though, although I think the recent examples, i.e. the mural and the meeting with Jewdas are both clear examples of poor handling rather than anything malign.

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 27140
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:48 pm

Gibbon wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:02 pm
Rover the Top wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:45 am
So the question remains: Why are people trying to deflect from, defend or bury this issue when it would be much easier to acknowledge there's a problem to be addressed and take steps to stamp it out?
If the debate is misguidedly hijacked to smear one man then of course people are going to deflect and defend him. Agree there's a problem and it should be stamped out though, although I think the recent examples, i.e. the mural and the meeting with Jewdas are both clear examples of poor handling rather than anything malign.
Again, it's not smearing. No one is making up lies about what Corbyn has done, it's true. And it's not just "one man", it's the leader of the second biggest political party in the UK. The scrutiny is fair and should handled far more effectively than it is.

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14733
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:34 pm

Gibbon wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:01 am
I’m not sure why you think deviating from tradition or having a sense of humour amounts to not wanting to be Jewish. :shrug:
Because of the examples I provided?

mcteeth
Ageing international
Posts: 3756
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:44 am
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by mcteeth » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:52 pm


User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14733
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:32 pm

:D

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 27140
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:53 am

Meanwhile, Boris Johnson's blundering mouth has made another story out of nothing. You can make a similar argument as with the Corbyn story that there's people looking to score political points. It's easy to point out that put in context, there's no inconsitency - If the lab confirms the nerve agent is what other intelligence sources say can only be from Russia, then they are confirming it is from Russia without needing some scientific test to prove its origin themselves. But why the hell has he not learned to choose his words more carefully after all this time? :roll:

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14733
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:45 am

Cause he's a blithering bufoon?

Post Reply