General Election

There must be more to life than football?
User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 26836
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:18 am

Ethiaa wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:04 am
I've voting with the Catalans :hyper:
Indeed. They've got it sorted, stick two fingers up at everyone. Including the majority from the region that didn't vote. :D

I wonder if the SNP are regretting getting a legitimate referendum now? :yeahright:

User avatar
theadore
Inexperienced manager
Posts: 9576
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:25 pm

Re: General Election

Post by theadore » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:24 am

Given the police response I'm not sure you can talk about a 'majority' who didn't vote.

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 26836
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:55 am

Image

User avatar
Gibbon
Promising manager
Posts: 17484
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:54 am
Location: Location: Location
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by Gibbon » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:06 am

mrblackbat wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:39 am
Jim wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:08 pm

If it wasn’t for them putting thousands upon thousands of disabled, sick and unemployed people through hell, poverty and misery over the last ten years based on nothing more than a political choice, I’d laugh at them.

That said I am enjoying seeing the enemy unravel before my eyes.
A political choice? You mean trying to balance the books post a labour government who continued to spend way beyond its means, signing up for PFI deals that will continue to cripple us for decades?

Even the new head of the CQC is firmly pointing the finger at the early 2000s as the root cause of NHS problems.
The last labour party in power was a completely different creature to the one under Corbyn.

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 26836
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:18 am

theadore wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:24 am
Given the police response I'm not sure you can talk about a 'majority' who didn't vote.
Because of the police response you can talk about a majority that didn't vote. :shrug: Because the Spanish government said it was an illegal referendum, you can talk about a majority that didn't vote. There's two factors there that distort the outcome, that frustrate it from being a proper democratic process. And the turnout turned out to be too low to overcome that distortion.

User avatar
Ethiaa
Site Admin
Posts: 13328
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:22 am
Location: Preston
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by Ethiaa » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:54 am

Independence for Lancashire! We only need to get 50.1% of those voting! Just fill in your voting form which can be found in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard'.

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14337
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:59 pm

Gibbon wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:06 am
mrblackbat wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:39 am
Jim wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:08 pm

If it wasn’t for them putting thousands upon thousands of disabled, sick and unemployed people through hell, poverty and misery over the last ten years based on nothing more than a political choice, I’d laugh at them.

That said I am enjoying seeing the enemy unravel before my eyes.
A political choice? You mean trying to balance the books post a labour government who continued to spend way beyond its means, signing up for PFI deals that will continue to cripple us for decades?

Even the new head of the CQC is firmly pointing the finger at the early 2000s as the root cause of NHS problems.
The last labour party in power was a completely different creature to the one under Corbyn.
I'm simply making the point that Jim's blaming the wrong people.

The current labour party is a potentially bigger disaster, in my opinion.

mcteeth
Ageing international
Posts: 3429
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:44 am
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by mcteeth » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:22 pm

I'm just fed up with all of it and although I'm very much on the left I'm growing tired of Corbyn's rhetoric now too.

The Tories are a complete shower of shit, Blackbat you talk about a party wanting to balance the books when they've potentially walked us into an economic blackhole that nobody can fully grasp the long term impact and cost as well as the increased polarisation across the country.

The shameful re-branding May has been desperately trying to assert is as irritating as it is tragic.

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14337
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:23 pm

mcteeth wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:22 pm
I'm just fed up with all of it and although I'm very much on the left I'm growing tired of Corbyn's rhetoric now too.

The Tories are a complete shower of shit, Blackbat you talk about a party wanting to balance the books when they've potentially walked us into an economic blackhole that nobody can fully grasp the long term impact and cost as well as the increased polarisation across the country.

The shameful re-branding May has been desperately trying to assert is as irritating as it is tragic.
I think you'll find that the people of Britain have walked us into a black hole of economic uncertainty. They're the ones that voted for it, after all....

User avatar
Ethiaa
Site Admin
Posts: 13328
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:22 am
Location: Preston
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by Ethiaa » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:24 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:23 pm
I think you'll find that a minority of the people of Britain have walked all of us into a black hole of economic uncertainty. They're the ones that voted for it, after all....
Fixed ;)

mcteeth
Ageing international
Posts: 3429
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:44 am
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by mcteeth » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:39 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:23 pm
I think you'll find that the stupid Tories allowed a minority of the people of Britain have walked all of us into a black hole of economic uncertainty. They're the ones that called for the stupid referendum in the first place....
Double Fixed ;)

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14337
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:41 pm

Ethiaa wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:24 pm
mrblackbat wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:23 pm
I think you'll find that a minority of the people of Britain have walked all of us into a black hole of economic uncertainty. They're the ones that voted for it, after all....
Fixed ;)
Yes, but a majority of people that could be bothered to vote. Given how democracy works, one has to assume that those that did not simply don't care. It may be a flawed assumption, but there's not much else you can go with.

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14337
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:41 pm

mcteeth wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:39 pm
mrblackbat wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:23 pm
I think you'll find that the stupid Tories allowed a minority of the people of Britain have walked all of us into a black hole of economic uncertainty. They're the ones that called for the stupid referendum in the first place....
Double Fixed ;)
But given that the outcome of the vote was what it was, there was obviously the sentiment there to validate holding the vote. So it would be undemocractic not to hold it. Obviously that's the way of the left, currently.

User avatar
Ethiaa
Site Admin
Posts: 13328
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:22 am
Location: Preston
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by Ethiaa » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:48 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:41 pm
Ethiaa wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:24 pm
mrblackbat wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:23 pm
I think you'll find that a minority of the people of Britain have walked all of us into a black hole of economic uncertainty. They're the ones that voted for it, after all....
Fixed ;)
Yes, but a majority of people that could be bothered to vote. Given how democracy works, one has to assume that those that did not simply don't care. It may be a flawed assumption, but there's not much else you can go with.
True - but the fact that they are the minority of the country remains the case. Almost like we should have some kind of turnout and minimum level of support requirements for big decisions like this.

mcteeth
Ageing international
Posts: 3429
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:44 am
Contact:

Re: General Election

Post by mcteeth » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:18 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:41 pm
mcteeth wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:39 pm
mrblackbat wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:23 pm
I think you'll find that the stupid Tories allowed a minority of the people of Britain have walked all of us into a black hole of economic uncertainty. They're the ones that called for the stupid referendum in the first place....
Double Fixed ;)
But given that the outcome of the vote was what it was, there was obviously the sentiment there to validate holding the vote. So it would be undemocractic not to hold it. Obviously that's the way of the left, currently.
That's naive and you know it.

Post Reply