General Election

There must be more to life than football?
Jim
Experienced international star

Re: General Election

Post by Jim » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:19 am

A blithering buffoon who should have been out of a job two incidents ago, yet he’s still foreign secretary.

Not forgetting a young mum is still in prison in Iran over something he said, that was completely made up. She should have been home in Britain with her family months ago. That story got hushed up pretty quick.

Now the latest one has him on camera yet official foreign office statements, tweets etc are being deleted and edited to try and save face.

This government is an absolute joke.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:06 am

Jim wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:19 am

Not forgetting a young mum is still in prison in Iran over something he said, that was completely made up. She should have been home in Britain with her family months ago. That story got hushed up pretty quick.
Well no, no, definitely, and it's still going on. Even a regime as twisted as the Iranians would struggle to jail someone over something someone else said 18 months later. :yeahright: She seems likely to have been jailed because she had worked for a BBC charity that provided training courses to Iranian journalists. It's a tenuous link, the Iranians have trumped up her involvement to make her a political pawn, but Johnson didn't make it up. :roll: And yes she should be home, locking someone up for teaching journalism is abhorrent, irrelevant of whether the charge is true or not. Any anger should be directed at Iran, but some choose to attack Johnson instead for a comment being twisted out of context. :shrug: It's not been 'hushed up', if you're actually interested in the case you'll find stories on it from this week.

Have you actually read the transcript of what Johnson said?
Parliament transcript wrote: Ann Clwyd: We raised both here and in St Petersburg the two dual nationals—at least two—being held by the Iranians, of whom I think you are well aware. In both cases, I believe it has been difficult for you to visit them. Is there any access for consular officials to either of the two?

Boris Johnson: I believe there has been some access in some of the consular cases we have in Iran, but these are very difficult cases. My colleague Minister Burt saw Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe’s husband yesterday to reassure him of our efforts to try to free Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe. We continue to make representations both on her behalf and on behalf of Mr Foroughi, and indeed others. As the Committee will appreciate, it is very difficult, because the Iranians do not recognise dual citizenship. They think of them just as Iranians, and it is very hard.

If I may say so—to get back to the point that the Chairman rightly made about the Iranian state—one of the disadvantages of escalating these difficult consular cases and having a very loud public campaign in this country is that that simply strengthens the hand of those who are using these cases for their own internal ends in Iran. That is why sometimes the advice I have had over the months has been that no matter how frustrating and miserable it is, and clearly these cases are very sad, the best approach is a diplomatic one.

Q71 Ann Clwyd: Would you consider calling for their release on humanitarian grounds?

Boris Johnson: Certainly, in both cases, there are obvious humanitarian grounds for their release. I would not dispute that for a minute.

Q72 Ann Clwyd: When I pressed the Iranian delegation in St Petersburg, one of the members of the delegation said to me, “If you come to Tehran, you can visit Mrs Ratcliffe in jail.”

Boris Johnson: Who—me or you?

Q73 Ann Clwyd: Me. Would you like to?

Boris Johnson: Of course. Obviously, we will have to be very careful about this, because we want them to be released. I have raised this case many times now with Javad Zarif, my Iranian counterpart. When we look at what Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe was doing, she was simply teaching people journalism, as I understand it, at the very limit. I hope that a way forward can be found. I must say, I find it deeply depressing; I think it is totally contrary to the interests of the Iranian people for this to continue.

Q74 Ann Clwyd: But can I just ask whether you think we are playing it in the right way? The Americans always seem to get their people out.

Boris Johnson: They do sometimes, Mrs Clwyd, but then what happens is that the Iranians lift some more and hold them for the same purposes.

Q75 Chris Bryant: So what you are saying is that the Iranians are hostage-taking?

Boris Johnson: I am not going to go as far as to say that, but what is certainly the case is that American efforts to do deals have then been followed by further very difficult consular cases in which duals have been detained.

Q76 Ms Ghani: I want to follow on from Mrs Clwyd’s questioning. One of the frustrations we have, and no doubt Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe’s family do too, is that there is no full understanding of how long her sentence is. There was some talk that there was an extra 16 years added on top. When the Committee met the delegation from Iran recently, they disputed that and then challenged us not to ask them these questions again. Do you have any idea how long she has been sentenced for, at the very least?

Boris Johnson: It is worse than that. It is not only that we have no idea about how long her sentence really is—the point about the extra 16 years has not been confirmed, so we are not certain of that—but neither Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe nor her family has been informed of what crime she is supposed to have committed. That I find extraordinary and incredible.
If you can find something in there that warrants locking a woman up for, please point it out.

The strange thing is, the one recent thing he said that was completely out-of-line, calling Thornberry "Lady Nugee", did get brushed off very quickly. Probably because he apologised straight away and nobody bothered to make an absurd defence of him... :yeahright:

Jim
Experienced international star

Post by Jim » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:20 am

She was in Iran ON HOLIDAY not teaching anyone journalism, which is precisely why she’s now still in prison in Iran and not home with her family.

Iran itself has quoted Boris’ actual words “teaching journalism” in court against her.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:03 am

Jim wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:20 am
She was in Iran ON HOLIDAY not teaching anyone journalism, which is precisely why she’s now still in prison in Iran and not home with her family.

Iran itself has quoted Boris’ actual words “teaching journalism” in court against her.
*Sigh*. Read up on the facts, they're easy enough to find. She was arrested whilst on holiday, that doesn't mean she was arrested for what she was doing whilst on holiday. :roll: She had worked for the BBC charity that provided journalism courses that several Iranians were jailed for taking in 2014. The link is tenuous and certainly not justification for jailing someone. But Iran have made something out of it and arrested her whilst she was in their country.

And so what if the Iranian judge quoted Johnson? Do you think "teaching journalism" is a reason to lock someone up? I've provided the full transcript, please point out the bit you think is incriminating. Any condemnation for the injustice of it all should be aimed squarely at the Iranian regime, but you don't seem willing to acknowledge that. Why?

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:12 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:06 am
The strange thing is, the one recent thing he said that was completely out-of-line, calling Thornberry "Lady Nugee", did get brushed off very quickly. Probably because he apologised straight away and nobody bothered to make an absurd defence of him... :yeahright:
That's not strictly true, he apologised because he was effectively told too at the time and even his apology is essentially saying sorry if you're offended by me calling you Lady Nugee I didn't mean any offense as I don't think it's offensive.

No one is making an absurd defence of him because he's a complete fucking prat and everyone already knows it.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:25 pm

mcteeth wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:12 pm

No one is making an absurd defence of him because he's a complete fucking prat and everyone already knows it.
Exactly the point. Corbyn's a complete fucking prat too but appears to have thousands who'd argue black is white to avoid admitting it... ;)

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:46 pm

:lol:

Corbyn can be a prat but he's nowhere near Johnson's level of fuckwit.

You still can't draw parallels between something that was definitely wrong, Johnson being sexist, and something that has been perceived as everything from Corbyn is antisemitic, it's a coincidence, he's just been naive, oh it's a witch hunt.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:43 pm

mcteeth wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:46 pm
:lol:

Corbyn can be a prat but he's nowhere near Johnson's level of fuckwit.

You still can't draw parallels between something that was definitely wrong, Johnson being sexist, and something that has been perceived as everything from Corbyn is antisemitic, it's a coincidence, he's just been naive, oh it's a witch hunt.
The parallels are stark: Johnson was definitely wrong with the "Lady Nugee" comment, Corbyn was definitely wrong with the mural comment. You can doubt intent but both were wrong. :shrug: And like I say, the difference is, with the latter his supporters try to deflect and brush it all under the carpet rather than just admit the guy got it wrong. They're not fooling anyone and would achieve more if they accepted the criticisms than automatically dismissed everything as "smears".

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:06 am

Jim wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:20 am

Sometimes, Jim, you can be a right wally.

They weren't accusing her of teaching whilst she was on holiday. They arrested her whilst she was on holiday. For allegedly previously teaching journalism. Surely not that difficult to understand? Much in the same way that if Julian Assange decided to go on holiday to America, he'd get arrested: not for going on holiday there, but for previously having leaked government secrets

She's in prison because of an extreme Iranian regime who have trumped up some charges against her, not because BoJo, as much as a buffoon he is, said something; whoch when you actually read the full transcript in context is actually all sensible comments. After all she was already in prison prior to Johnson's comments...... :yeahright: