Tour de France

There must be more to life than football?
mrblackbat
Promising manager

Re: Tour de France

Post by mrblackbat » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:09 pm

theadore wrote:Well deserved as well... don't know what happened to the OPQS train at the last bend.
It got screwed up by the Lotto guy who didn't notice he was actually leading out Kittel's lead man....

Jim
Experienced international star

Post by Jim » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:12 pm

theadore wrote:Well deserved as well... don't know what happened to the OPQS train at the last bend.
Thought that myself. Think it was Trentin who badly led Cav down with a very, very short turn on the front and by the time Kittel bolted, he was already a few lengths ahead of both Greipel and Cav. Proves just how good Cav is though that despite being a way behind Kittel and Greipel, he only just lost out on 2nd by a gnats whisker when he hit a pothole and his rear tyre went airborne.

I really like Cav and feel his team has badly let him down this season. He was very vocal at the Giro about how badly his lead out train was and they've let him down again in the Tour. Makes me wonder if he'll bolt to another team again, or whether OPQS get him a few new leadout men.

Lastly, how brilliant was Froome's podium speech. Just perfect, paying tribute to everyone including the French fans and organisers. Another supreme athlete to add to the list of British athletes to be proud of.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:58 am

Er, he only had praise for the team at the Giro and what with three wins in this tour had had a pretty successful one. And I don't think he has anything but praise for the team after this race with comments like this after that awesome win on stage 13.

I think it's more a case that Kittel has come on leaps and bounds to become the best out and out sprinter in a straight out shoot out.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:57 pm

Incidentally, Sky posted the data for David Lopez on their site the other day.

http://www.teamsky.com/article/0,27290, ... 38,00.html

Jim
Experienced international star

Post by Jim » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:03 pm

mrblackbat wrote:Incidentally, Sky posted the data for David Lopez on their site the other day.

http://www.teamsky.com/article/0,27290, ... 38,00.html
A positive move by Sky, it remains to be seen whether the same data for Froome will come out.

Maybe I'm wrong about Cavendish but I read his twitter account daily and he's certainly not been full of praise for them during this Tour that's for a fact. At times yes, but critical at others. I think I was needlessly harsh about the Giro, I seem to remember them having a lot of mechanicals in the leadout train which cost him points (unless I'm thinking of the wrong event).

Kittel has been very good, but I still think given a better leadout (meaning they don't leave him a bike length behind the nearest rival) that Cav is the best sprinter in the sport. Just look at how much distance he made up last night in the sprint. It just disappoints me that as a team Cav knew would be targeting points jersey wins, they've failed to deliver him even a close contest, and less stage wins than Sky did last year. I know Sagan is just a master at the breakaway and intermediate sprints (hence your frustrations) but I still think it was a pretty poor showing by OPQS this tour.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:35 pm

Cav never knows when to keep his mouth shut... he did slag off his team in the Giro, and in the tour... but he is full of praise when they do deliver. I would generally take all his comments with a pinch of salt... he speaks to the press before he has a chance to think about it.

OPQS did a decent job.. they weren't as well drilled as HTC, but that took a long time to put together. If you look at his last HTC train, it included 2 world champion time trialists in Michael Rogers and Tony Martin up to the last km, then Matt Goss (a world class sprinter in his own right) and Mark Renshaw widely regarded as the best lead out man in the business and more than capable of finishing himself.

That aside... HTC largely had things to themselves back then as well, this tour is the first time I've seen 4 full trains all competing credibly for the lead out.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:23 am

Cav moaned during the Tirreno Adriatico, but that was way back in March. During the Giro he was full of nothing but praise for his train (afterall they got him the points jersey).

However, I think in the Tour it was a combination of ill fortune (crashes and illness; I hope we never have to see him shit in a field again), but also just being beaten. Stage 12 for example, even Cavendish admitted "when there is someone simply faster than you there is nothing you can do". And on the Champs Elysses, he made a poor choice leaving Steegmans wheel, and then another poor choice leaving Greipel's wheel. I think if he'd stayed in Greipel's slipstream longer he could have won.

As for the points jersey, I don't think it was possible for anyone other than Sagan to win it this year. Kittel got four wins but could only place fourth in the points jersey, whereas Sagan who can get through the mountains won it with a single stage. It's got nothing to do with breakaways either, but too many points being available on hilly and mountain stages, poor positioning of intermediate sprints after hard climbs and the like: stage 7 in particular was ludicrous, 65 points available and it was obvious there'd only ever be the likes of Sagan, Degenkolb and Boassan Hagan competing for it.

Rover the Moon
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Rover the Moon » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:54 pm

May have been mentioned but next years Tour de France starts in Leeds and does a good loop of the Dales, getting as near to Blackburn as Skipton, if watching it is your bag

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:08 pm

So Froome has a very disappointing Criterium folloowing a crash, will be interesting to see if Sky still focus the team around him, or consider bringing Wiggins into the team as well, or perhaps give the leadership to Nieve.

It's also been really good watching Adam Yates this year, having a cracking start to his career for Orica.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:57 pm

Can't see it being anyone but Froome... although I'm expecting Wiggins to get the nod to join the squad if he does well in Switzerland. Brailsford is a pragmatist and while I understand the team unity argument, I can't see Sky being very happy to see the stars at home.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:06 pm

I was more surmising whether Froome will be fit enough. He was clearly struggling after that crash.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:29 pm

Just a bit of road rash wasn't it? Haven't heard anything more about it tbh with all the TUE 'scandal' stuff. Definitely put pay to his Dauphine challenge, but the sort of injury that he would try to ride off in a three week tour so I expect he'd be back to full fitness with a break.

Will be a shame if he isn't really... Contador has looked sharp all year and it should be a good battle between them,

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:15 am

Confirmed that Wiggins isn't in the tour. Shame given his current form. I guess they just don't think he would have worked for Froome.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/28052516

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:49 pm

Poor Froome. All those grazes for nothing!

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:54 pm

I can picture Wiggins cackling by a cauldron...